Author Topic: How we can make signing harris and monroe into a highly competitive team  (Read 1233 times)

Offline Hawkeye199

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 131
 I loved the idea of signing harris but I didn't understand what  would be the point of signing  greg monroe who likes to play center. He is great offensively and mainly plays in the paint. He is not a rim protector though  he is an above average defender. He mainly operates in the paint and does not stretch the floor.  However monroe mainlyIf we had harris at the 3 who is a great offensive presence but weak on the defense. Which means that we need a defensive  pf who can stretch the floor.

Who could the celtics trade for because we defiantly don't have that pf.
My suggestion
Scouting report
+ NBA's premier shot-blocker. Agile, if not always disciplined, defender.
+ Excellent finisher. Developed into top-notch midrange shooter and could add 3-pointer.
+ Reliant on teammates to set him up offensively. Struggles when asked to create own offense.

Analysis
Any lingering questions about Serge Ibaka's importance to the Thunder were answered during the Western Conference finals. Without Ibaka, Oklahoma City was blown out twice in San Antonio. When he returned from a strained calf muscle far ahead of schedule for Game 3, thanks to "God and ice" (his description), the Thunder won twice at home before losing the series in six games.

Offensively, Ibaka continues to hone his perimeter game. After adding a 3-pointer to his game in 2012-13, Ibaka improved from 35.1 percent beyond the arc to 38.3 percent. His accuracy on long 2-pointers dipped slightly, from 47.7 percent to 45.7 percent, but Ibaka still ranked 18th among players with at least 100 attempts from beyond 16 feet. In part because he's spending more time outside the paint, Ibaka's percentage of field goals set up by assists has increased the past two seasons. He rarely played without Kevin Durant on the floor, which protected Ibaka from having to create his own shot on a regular basis.

Anthony Davis narrowly surpassed Ibaka in terms of both blocks per game and block percentage. Still, Ibaka is rightfully considered the league's best shot-blocker. He excels at coming from the weak side to offer help in the paint. Overall, Ibaka is a good defender and not a great one. ESPN's real plus-minus, for example, rates him 28th in the league defensively. Ibaka is not an elite one-on-one defender and occasionally will over-help and take himself out of the play.

While Ibaka's advanced stats have largely held steady the past three seasons, incremental improvement and increased playing time could eventually make him an All-Star.

He  would cost a hefty price but he is 25 and exactly what we need.

if we had a starting line up of
rozier
smart
harris
ibaka
monroe
they would put out 68 ppg assuming that smart puts up 13ppg next year and rosier puts out 7.8 in starter minutes

we had the best bench in the nba after all-star break putting out a whopping 43 ppg
I had guessed our bench would put out 40 points which would make us average 108 points per game.
I am assuming we keep Thomas and a good chunk of our bench

So I thought how would this team match up against this year's Cleveland team.
Ibaka can guard lebron
 harris can guard love
monroe can take mozgof
smart on irving
rozier on jr smith

we would be able to score well with monroe who would do well in the paint and harris has scored well against lebrun.
So this team can be a very very good team considering how young it is

so what do you guys think. would this be a good team that could win in the east or just a stupid idea

I am giving up bradley,sully and picks for ibaka

zach lavine-jeremy lin-tyus jones
jeremy lamb-tyshen prince-Andre miller
will barton- beljina-
Kevin love-kevin garnet-payne
Karl anthoney Towns-JJ hickson

Offline Geo123

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 33
First off we don't have enough cap money to sign Harris (who will get between 12 and 14 million) per year and Monroe (who wants maxm oney).  Second of all there's no way that OKC would make that trade for Ibaka.

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
Not easily...

If your #1 and #2 players are Monroe and Harris (and both are on max or near max contracts) them I'm afraid you'll likely be first round exit fodder for the next 3 or or 4 seasons.

I'd be happy to add Monroe - I feel he has the potential to become a 20/10 guy and to be a #2 option on a legit contender.

But I'd do that knowing we still have the cap flexibility to use Monroe to attract a SERIOUS top tier free agent in the next year or two to put us over the edge.

If Monroe is your #1 guy and Harris #2 (it's definitely not the other way around) then I think you become the next Villenueva / Ben Gordon Pistons.

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427
we sign Monroe and Harris to near max's

how does that affect our projected salary cap next year (from what I read, it'll be a significant jump? what does that mean?)

also, I trust Brad's ability to at least make it work

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549

how does that affect our projected salary cap next year (from what I read, it'll be a significant jump? what does that mean?)

Next year's cap is expected to jump 20mil.  Wallace's contract will also come off the books so that will free up another 10mil. 

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427

Next year's cap is expected to jump 20mil.  Wallace's contract will also come off the books so that will free up another 10mil.

thanks

so theoretically, we can probably shed someone like Bradley and potentially sign another max? true?

Offline BigDogPitbull

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 29
Signing them and then packaging them with the nets picks for better players.  Obviously not trade them right away.

Offline knuckleballer

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 664
I'll be psyched if we can get both guys.  We'll be competitive, the team with be fun to watch, and it will help the young guys develop.  It won't make us a contender, but with the salary cap increase next year, their salaries will be reasonable and they will be tradeable assets that could potentially help us reach the next level down the road.

Offline Geo123

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 33

Monroe wants Max money not near max and he's not even meeting with us so how do you think we may sign him to near max money?  Also, Harris want 12 to 14 million we DON'T HAVE CAP SPACE to sign both.