Poll

Should we have drafted a big guy last year over Smart.

Yes we should have taking Randle
5 (13.5%)
Yes weShould have drafted Vonleh.
1 (2.7%)
No. I'll take Smart
31 (83.8%)

Total Members Voted: 37

Author Topic: Do you wish we took Randle or Vonleh now  (Read 1837 times)

Re: Do you wish we took Randle or Vonleh now
« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2015, 08:28:34 PM »

Offline alewilliam789

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 76
Vonleh or Randle?? I was preaching to grab Zach LaVine at 6th overall. He would have fit better next to Rondo as a player who can play either the 2 or 1 because he had an ability to handle the ball and create with the ball as well. These are skills PGs selected with the 6th overall pick should have, right? Well not with Smart. LaVine is also hyper athletic and has so much more potential as well. He was also a better shooter in college and has a way more purer stroke. All in all LaVine was by far the better prospect, by far, because of his elite athleticism and scoring ability. If you are drafting a player in the lottery and you are in a rebuild you grab players with the most potential. Smart may have been the easy pick because he had the highest floor, but he clearly did not have the most potential on the board. I'd honestly have more respect for Ainge if he took a chance on the higher potential player and struck out.

In the end we ended up with something even worse than LaVine's floor. We ended up with a player who is a combo guard that can't play either position at a high level because he can't handle the ball well enough to be a point and he isn't good enough offensively to play the 2. We end up with a player exactly like Avery Bradley and we ended up pushing out Rondo. We pretty much wasted a 6th overall pick. I was more p---ed when we traded up to grab Olynyk over Steven Adams or just stay put and take Dennis Schroeder who is better than Smart right now. One thing that Ainge has continually proved to me is that he is not good assessing talent. He is good at the most blatant picks in the first round like Sullinger and RJ Hunter, but when it comes down to the tough picks where you have to actually assess the talent and take the player that seems like they will be the best he drops the ball bad.

« Reply #16 on: June 30, 2015, 08:30:36 PM »

Offline oldtype

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 143
At the end of the day, one of these guy has proved that he's not a complete liability at the NBA level. The other two haven't (yet.)

Given that his floor is automatically much higher than the other two, there's really no good argument for choosing Randle or Vonleh over Smart.

Great words from a great man

« Reply #17 on: June 30, 2015, 09:44:24 PM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136
Vonleh or Randle?? I was preaching to grab Zach LaVine at 6th overall. He would have fit better next to Rondo as a player who can play either the 2 or 1 because he had an ability to handle the ball and create with the ball as well. These are skills PGs selected with the 6th overall pick should have, right? Well not with Smart. LaVine is also hyper athletic and has so much more potential as well. He was also a better shooter in college and has a way more purer stroke. All in all LaVine was by far the better prospect, by far, because of his elite athleticism and scoring ability. If you are drafting a player in the lottery and you are in a rebuild you grab players with the most potential. Smart may have been the easy pick because he had the highest floor, but he clearly did not have the most potential on the board. I'd honestly have more respect for Ainge if he took a chance on the higher potential player and struck out.

In the end we ended up with something even worse than LaVine's floor. We ended up with a player who is a combo guard that can't play either position at a high level because he can't handle the ball well enough to be a point and he isn't good enough offensively to play the 2. We end up with a player exactly like Avery Bradley and we ended up pushing out Rondo. We pretty much wasted a 6th overall pick. I was more p---ed when we traded up to grab Olynyk over Steven Adams or just stay put and take Dennis Schroeder who is better than Smart right now. One thing that Ainge has continually proved to me is that he is not good assessing talent. He is good at the most blatant picks in the first round like Sullinger and RJ Hunter, but when it comes down to the tough picks where you have to actually assess the talent and take the player that seems like they will be the best he drops the ball bad.

Good post man, TP. You make a fair point. But Stevens and ainge were looking for a tone setter and leader in Smart. IMO.