Author Topic: Joel Embiid reportedly still growing in height, now 7'2  (Read 13749 times)

Re: Joel Embiid reportedly still growing in height, now 7'2
« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2015, 07:50:58 PM »

Offline TheFlex

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 367
Embiid will be fine... and all the naysayers will look pretty ridiculous for suggesting that Philly would trade him for Jerry Hozier.

Says LarBrd33, MD on June 30th, 2015. You know hoping a player is fine is a lot different than him being so. Especially when your comments are so confident without anything to support them.

Think he's looking for an honorary MD.
My people tell me Embiid was spotted doing back flips and jumping jacks next to the Liberty Bell last night. 

Seriously the more I read about this kid the more I think he'll be fine.   Slim chance of surgery.  I doubt it happens.

Yeah, surgery never really seemed like it was likely. At worst, news that Embiid might not play could better be characterized as a disappointment rather than a shocking scare. He never re-injured anything; he merely hadn't recovered as quickly as desired when he saw the doc a few weeks back.

Here's hoping Embiid is back at the start of the season to dominate for LarBrd's fantasy points team and my DKC team.

Draft: 8 first rounders in next 5 years.

Cap space: $24 mil.

https://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague/

« Reply #16 on: June 30, 2015, 07:57:45 PM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
Embiid will be fine... and all the naysayers will look pretty ridiculous for suggesting that Philly would trade him for Jerry Hozier.

Says LarBrd33, MD on June 30th, 2015. You know hoping a player is fine is a lot different than him being so. Especially when your comments are so confident without anything to support them.

My people tell me Embiid was spotted doing back flips and jumping jacks next to the Liberty Bell last night. 

Seriously the more I read about this kid the more I think he'll be fine.   Slim chance of surgery.  I doubt it happens.

Lol. With all of your conviction I'm inclined to believe you. So I'll buy. Free Embiid('s foot/spine)!
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #17 on: June 30, 2015, 08:04:08 PM »

Offline greenrunsdeep41

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 152
I hear the Sixers are looking to trade him, "he is getting too tall and making the other players uncomfortable. I'm worried about their safety." I can't remember where I read this but it has to be true. I feel like they drafted evan turner number 2 overall so if we send him to them maybe embiid and a late first back would be even, right?
2019 Historical Draft - Golden State

C - Bill Russell/Joel Embiid
PF - Giannis Antetokounmpo/Tommy Heinsohn
SF - Kevin Durant/Billy Cunningham
SG - Bruce Bowen/David Thompson
PG - Isiah Thomas/James Harden

« Reply #18 on: June 30, 2015, 08:06:47 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975

Yeah, surgery never really seemed like it was likely. At worst, news that Embiid might not play could better be characterized as a disappointment rather than a shocking scare. He never re-injured anything; he merely hadn't recovered as quickly as desired when he saw the doc a few weeks back.

Here's hoping Embiid is back at the start of the season to dominate for LarBrd's fantasy points team and my DKC team.

What does "he hasn't recovered as quickly as desired" really mean though? He's dealing with a fracture so that would mean that the fracture is still apparent and is a case of malunion. He had surgery June 20th, 2014, and over a year later and the fracture is still showing up on x-rays. That's not concerning?

This is immediately following navicular survey...

Rehabilitation Program
Physical Therapy

After the affected foot has been placed in a non–weight-bearing cast for 6 weeks, the cast is removed and tenderness at the N spot is assessed. If tenderness persists, then an additional 2 weeks of non–weight-bearing cast immobilization is recommended. However, if tenderness is not present at the N spot, then weight-bearing activity may begin. This activity is limited to a gradual return to normal activity under the care of a sports physician or physical therapist. The therapy may include muscle strengthening, range-of-motion exercises, and soft-tissue massage.

A stepwise regimen for the course of activity is as follows:

The patient participates in his or her normal activities of daily life (ADLs), which may include swimming, for 2 weeks (Weeks 1 and 2).
If the athlete remains free of pain after 2 weeks, a gradual return to jogging may be prescribed.
After 2 weeks of a gradually progressive jogging regimen (Weeks 3 and 4), the patient is again assessed for pain.
If the patient remains free from pain after 2 weeks after gradually progressing in the jogging regimen, then the athlete may gradually return to full activity over the final 2 weeks of the rehabilitation program (Weeks 5 and 6).
Medical Issues/Complications
Delayed union and nonunion produce persistent pain at the navicular.[57] Plain radiographs and/or a CT scan may show the persistent fracture. In such cases, referral to a surgeon is required for open reduction and fixation. In addition, fracture of the tarsal navicular may be complicated by avascular necrosis.

Surgical Intervention
A comparison study of surgery relative to conservative treatment by Potter showed no difference in an athlete's long-term return to activity.[49] However, tenderness was more common in the surgical group. Some athletes who successfully returned to activity for 2 years or more had persistent tenderness at the N-spot.

In a study by Saxena and Fullem that compared nonoperative treatment with operative treatment, navicular stress fractures took up to 4 months to heal, regardless of the therapy.[10]

Delayed union and nonunion of the navicular may require surgical intervention. A variety of techniques have been used for repair. These include (1) curettage and bone grafting, (2) internal fixation, (3) excision of the symptomatic ossicles, or (4) a combination of these techniques.

« Reply #19 on: June 30, 2015, 08:19:58 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
My stance that I've maintained all along is that the media overreacted.   They labelled it a "set back" and were quick to assume the worse.

It's possible there is more going on.  It remains very hush hush what is actually going on there.   All I'm saying is that based on what we conclusively know from the team... I'm inclined to believe he'll be ready at the start of the season.

You can keep sharing think pieces from click-bait articles.  It doesn't change what we actually know about Embiid.  He feels 100%.  He feels no pain.   A routine CT Scan revealed something "different" with his healing and they have slowed down his workouts.   They've brought in doctors to get as many opinions as possible on next steps.  And all of this coincides with summer league fast approaching (which embiid was previously expected to play in) and the 76ers presumably fielding offers for their other big men.     We'll see what happens. 

« Reply #20 on: June 30, 2015, 08:27:59 PM »

Offline sofutomygaha

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 343
Google and you will find many pictures of Embiid standing next to Nerlens Noel, standing almost exactly as tall as Nerlens' hair. It was well-documented that, with his flat top, Nerlens was 7' when drafted. Embiid at the time was buzzed. Now he has a fro.

Basically, what I'm saying is that there is a 2" margin of error here.

But it's the off season, where everyone is in the best shape of his life, everyone under 21 has grown remarkably taller, everyone over 30 has lost weight and gotten faster, and everyone under 30 has put on 15 pounds of muscle.

« Reply #21 on: June 30, 2015, 08:29:56 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
You can keep sharing think pieces from click-bait articles.  It doesn't change what we actually know about Embiid.  He feels 100%.  He feels no pain.   A routine CT Scan revealed something "different" with his healing and they have slowed down his workouts.   They've brought in doctors to get as many opinions as possible on next steps.  And all of this coincides with summer league fast approaching (which embiid was previously expected to play in) and the 76ers presumably fielding offers for their other big men.     We'll see what happens.

I don't think you can be that naive, man. This must be a front to try to reassure yourself. That was NOT an article on Embiid. It was on navicular fractures in general.

Navicular Fracture Treatment & Management
Author
Michael J Ameres, MD Consulting Staff, Department of Emergency Medicine, Southampton Hospital, Adjunct Clinical Assistant Professor, New York College of Osteopathic Medicine

http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/85973-treatment

Hinkie on June 27, 2014 (week after surgery)
“Timeframe — I’ve seen reported some 4 to 6 months — that’s not the number that I’ve heard,” Hinkie said. “The number that I’ve heard from the surgeon himself was 5 to 8 months."

Hinkie on Feb 10, 2015
While the Sixers are admittedly taking a safe, methodical approach with their hopeful franchise player from Cameroon, Hinkie is not ruling out the possibility of seeing Embiid lace ’em up this season.
“It’s still too early,” Hinkie said on Embiid playing this season. “We still talked about that. He’ll have a number of benchmarks that he’ll have to meet and if he meets them he’ll play.

Again, this is a fracture. If it's not healed it means it's still fractured. LarBrd33, you can spin this all you want, but after a while you have to come to grips with reality that this is a very real situation and not Tricky Hinkie playing possum. I'm not sure what your fascination with the Sixers is anyways. If he's injured, he's injured. Who cares? He's not a Celtic, right? You do bleed green, right?
« Last Edit: June 30, 2015, 08:39:41 PM by Eddie20 »

« Reply #22 on: June 30, 2015, 08:49:23 PM »

Offline greg683x

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 585

I dont know if calling him Jerry instead of Terry was intentional or not, but it made that comment a lot funnier
Greg

« Reply #23 on: June 30, 2015, 09:23:54 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700

I don't think you can be that naive, man. This must be a front to try to reassure yourself. That was NOT an article on Embiid. It was on navicular fractures in general.

Author
Michael J Ameres, MD Consulting Staff, Department of Emergency Medicine, Southampton Hospital, Adjunct Clinical Assistant Professor, New York College of Osteopathic Medicine

“Timeframe — I’ve seen reported some 4 to 6 months — that’s not the number that I’ve heard,” Hinkie said. “The number that I’ve heard from the surgeon himself was 5 to 8 months."

Hinkie on Feb 10, 2015
While the Sixers are admittedly taking a safe, methodical approach with their hopeful franchise player from Cameroon, Hinkie is not ruling out the possibility of seeing Embiid lace ’em up this season.
“It’s still too early,” Hinkie said on Embiid playing this season. “We still talked about that. He’ll have a number of benchmarks that he’ll have to meet and if he meets them he’ll play.

Again, this is a fracture. If it's not healed it means it's still fractured. LarBrd33, you can spin this all you want, but after a while you have to come to grips with reality that this is a very real situation and not Tricky Hinkie playing possum. I'm not sure what your fascination with the Sixers is anyways. If he's injured, he's injured. Who cares? He's not a Celtic, right? You do bleed green, right?

Sure, there are legit concerns about his injury, but plenty of guys have come back from such injuries and played extremely well. The Sixers are being extremely cautious as they should be, the fate of the franchise rest on it. I for one would love to see him reach his potential. We've lost enough talented big men from the league over the years, and imo it has set the game back and is the reason why we have this small ball movement. We don't need to lose another. I'm hoping Anthony Davis, Embiid, Okafor, Noel, Drummond, Len, and Nurkic all have exceptional careers, especially Embiid and Okafor. Those two can totally dominate on offense if they stay healthy, and create a big man renaissance.

« Reply #24 on: June 30, 2015, 09:34:09 PM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
So let me get this straight. 

Joel Embiid himself sends a text to his coach saying "Guess what, I'm still growing and now I'm 7'2"!!!".

In a world / forum where everybody criticisms everything they hear due to "questionable sources", why is everybody just assuming this is actually true when there is absolutely no person in the world who could possible have more 'reporting bias' about Embiid than...Embiid himself?

Anyways I'm calling it now - Andrew Bynum 2.0

Call me pessimistic, but I just get the feeling this guy is going to be a talented, injury prone head case.

« Last Edit: June 30, 2015, 09:41:02 PM by crimson_stallion »

« Reply #25 on: June 30, 2015, 09:42:47 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson

Author

Hinkie on Feb 10, 2015

Sure, there are legit concerns about his injury, but plenty of guys have come back from such injuries and played extremely well. The Sixers are being extremely cautious as they should be, the fate of the franchise rest on it. I for one would love to see him reach his potential. We've lost enough talented big men from the league over the years, and imo it has set the game back and is the reason why we have this small ball movement. We don't need to lose another. I'm hoping Anthony Davis, Embiid, Okafor, Noel, Drummond, Len, and Nurkic all have exceptional careers, especially Embiid and Okafor. Those two can totally dominate on offense if they stay healthy, and create a big man renaissance.

That's not an accurate statement. Jordan had the surgery, but isn't a good comparable because of his smaller size/less stress on the foot. You don't have much reassurance in terms of big men that sustained the same fracture. Again, it's now been over a year since the surgery and he might have surgery again. 

In the short-term this is a considerable set back for Embiid. Navicular fractures have been costly in the NBA where the averaged missed time sits at 59 games, suggesting his recovery will carry over into the upcoming season. The list of injured players to suffer navicular fractures includes Michael Jordan, Yao Ming, Zydrunas Ilgauskas, and Brendan Haywood, who missed all of the 2013-14 season with the injury. Ming’s career was abruptly ended due to his reoccurring foot problems but Yao was taller and 60 pounds heavier than Embiid. Ilgauskas may be a better comparison but that isn’t necessarily reassuring.

From 1998 to 2001, Ilgauskas missed 202 games and underwent three surgeries on his fractured navicular. The final surgery included a bone graft and a reshaping of his calcaneus and first metatarsal to alleviate the stress placed on the area. Only then was the Big Z able to continue what would become a 15-year career.

« Reply #26 on: June 30, 2015, 09:54:35 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
There's a lot of hate on here for Embiid and people rooting to see him end his career from injuries before it even starts. Very disappointing attitudes imo. The game needs talented big men, and he looks like a good kid. I know he's a Sixers player and lots of people rightfully hate Hinkie's strategy, but come on, its not Embiid's fault he's on that team.

« Reply #27 on: June 30, 2015, 09:57:02 PM »

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 277
There's a lot of hate on here for Embiid and people rooting to see him end his career from injuries before it even starts. Very disappointing attitudes imo. The game needs talented big men, and he looks like a good kid. I know he's a Sixers player and lots of people rightfully hate Hinkie's strategy, but come on, its not Embiid's fault he's on that team.

I don't think anyone is hating Embiid, they're just pessimistic about his ability to even step on the court.

« Reply #28 on: June 30, 2015, 10:06:38 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson

I don't think anyone is hating Embiid, they're just pessimistic about his ability to even step on the court.

Agreed. At least that's my stance. I like Embiid, I thought he had a lot of potential at Kansas, but first the back stress fracture, then the foot stress fracture. It looks like there seems to be something wrong with his body. The ironic thing is that he hasn't even played much basketball in his life, taking up the game at a later age. How is he going to look like after taking in all the games, practices, travel of an NBA season year after year?

I don't feel bad for Hinkie or the Sixers at all. They gambled and took Embiid, knowing all the risks associated with him, and it's backfiring on them.

« Reply #29 on: June 30, 2015, 10:23:28 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
So still tall and still not healthy. K got it thanks.