Author Topic: What would make you feel Danny ought to be fired?  (Read 5309 times)

Re: What would make you feel Danny ought to be fired?
« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2015, 05:03:10 PM »

Offline DraftSmart33

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 26
Something like the Dougie Hamilton trade (although the Bruins shouldn't fire Sweeney because they should try to have a GM stick around for more than 2 weeks).

I agree with this...

I am baffled by all of the Ainge hate on these threads though.  When we traded KG and Pierce we should have been bottom dwellers for the next 4-5 years.  With great coaching and receptive players we have progressed quickly.  While we might not be contenders in the East I like the direction we are heading...we have young players who work hard and play for each other...

I guess lots of you forget the years of Acie Earl, Montross, and Greg Minor.  Or that Dino Radja was our best player for a long stretch....There was a time we got crushed by times night in and night out.

We are not a worse team now than we were before the draft.  I wish the Bruins could say that.

« Reply #16 on: June 30, 2015, 05:03:21 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
Any kind of obvious collusion.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #17 on: June 30, 2015, 05:03:47 PM »

Offline GreenGoggles

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 76
Despite how much I disagree with a majority of his recent moves besides the drafting or Smart and Young, it would take another 2 seasons of not making "the move".

I don't want to be a treadmill team, there's two kinds of teams I love to watch, obviously championship contenders and young teams with prospects. Right now we're neither really, I'd like us to make a move eventually.

If 2017 comes and it's still this treadmill filled with the Brand bass' and Evan Turner's of the world I'll likely stop watching every game like I do now until the Celtics make up their mind.

« Reply #18 on: June 30, 2015, 05:09:28 PM »

Offline Onslaught

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 156
Fast forward three years and the Celts are still in more or less the same position as they are now.
This. He's put the team in a position to do  hopefully do well. If he turns around and lays an egg then I'd start thinking it's time for a change. I for one am happy how things are going right now.
Peace through Tyranny

« Reply #19 on: June 30, 2015, 05:11:22 PM »

Offline mahonedog88

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 119
We're entering year 3 of the Brad Stevens contract.  He's got 3 years left.  If we don't have at least 1 piece to potentially build around that's making a legit impact, then I think Ainge's time is up and he's gotta go. 

A lot of it revolves around the Brooklyn picks.  He NEEDS those Brooklyn picks to become something, whether through trades or ultimately using them and drafting a franchise piece.  Danny seems to be putting all his chips on those Brooklyn picks, and if after the next year 3 years (which happens to be when Stevens' first contract is up), there's no sure fire franchise piece on this team, that might spell the end of the Ainge era.

« Reply #20 on: June 30, 2015, 05:11:28 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
This draft (and the six picks he offered for Charlotte's pick) aside, Danny needs to start taking some more chances. I get it, he is all about value. It's hard to look back at any deals he's made and think, 'wow, we really got hosed on that one,' but I am starting to get a little impatient. Sometimes you need to get a little ripped off to acquire a player or players you really covet.

I am not saying we ever really had a chance at Curry or Cousins/Evans a few years ago, but if reports of Rondo being a centerpiece of a deal (plus other assets) for those guys were true and Danny didn't pull the trigger, then he obviously made a mistake.

I think it's getting time to pick a direction, not just continuing to acquire 'assets.' That being said, I am in no hurry to move on from Danny as gms are generally pretty mediocre and Danny is at least above average.

Unless he has a deal for a legit star, I think Ainge is (and should be) in a bit of a holding pattern while waiting to see where those Nets picks end up.  It is a rare opportunity to add legit top five draft pick to an established playoff team while still having space for a max free agent, so blowing up the roster while you still have a chance to do that seems extremely short-sighted.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #21 on: June 30, 2015, 05:15:51 PM »

Offline barefacedmonk

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1796
  • The Dude Abides
Another promise of "fireworks"
"An ounce of practice is worth more than tons of preaching." - M.K. Gandhi

« Reply #22 on: June 30, 2015, 05:16:21 PM »

Offline GreenWarrior

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 228
I personally feel this draft is it. But many still trust him. What would he have to do - or not do - over what period, for you to think he should be fired?

re-signing any of our middle of the road players to ridiculous contracts. or signing some middle of the road free agents to ridiculous contracts. basically signing any middle of the road player to a max deal.

« Reply #23 on: June 30, 2015, 05:20:48 PM »

Offline TheBig3

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 18
Wasting all the picks he's collected to consider it. As that's the only thing he really controls, you can't make premier agents sign here and you can't force teams to trade you a superstar.

« Reply #24 on: June 30, 2015, 05:26:17 PM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
Failing to act in accord with the adage "It's not worth winning if you can't winnn big!"

OR, once Brad is ready for his promotion to GM/coach.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2015, 05:47:51 PM by tarheelsxxiii »
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #25 on: June 30, 2015, 05:28:20 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
If the Celtics aren't contending by the time all the Nets picks are conveyed to us it might be time to look into firing Danny.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #26 on: June 30, 2015, 05:34:33 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2665
  • bammokja
i would think that danny ainge should be fired if he starts following the opinions and advice and plans posted on cb.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #27 on: June 30, 2015, 05:41:04 PM »

Offline coco

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 146

Over paying for bad character players or older All Stars past their prime.  That would make me very upset.

« Reply #28 on: June 30, 2015, 05:53:14 PM »

Offline coco

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 146
I personally feel this draft is it. But many still trust him. What would he have to do - or not do - over what period, for you to think he should be fired?

Not sure if you are referring about his choice at 16 or not being able to move up.

Need two to Tango for the latter......

..as for Rozzier, the jury is out.    No one saw that coming, that's for sure.  But no, that's not even close to get him fire. 

Lets not forget all the assets he has been able to accumulate, I mean, trading your coach for a draft pick? Are you kidding me?  That's genius!  How about trading Rondo for Crowder?....highway robbery!!! or turning a washed up KG into draft picks or maybe even more?  Hiring one of the best young coaches in Brad Stevens?

« Reply #29 on: June 30, 2015, 05:53:35 PM »

Online Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2523
Danny was hired in 2003 to oversee a franchise that hadn't won a championship in 17 years.  in 4 years, the C's were champions.  Danny didn't just build a one year champion, he built a 4-year contender.  The C's were 1 quarter from another championship in 2010 and really could have won 3 straight with a healthy KG (2009) and healthy Perk (2010).   The era was over in 2012 and Danny took the bull by the horns and traded his stars for future picks.  Not sure how Danny could have done any better in a trade for PP/KG or how he could be closer to contention today than he is. 

It is not a matter of cutting him some slack, it is all about the fact that there is no possible way that any GM would be doing any better than Danny is right now.  I wish he'd put a worse roster together this season to get a higher pick, but he took the good deals available to him (including one that amounts to Doc Rivers for RJ Hunter and Brad Stevens) -- and ended up with a few more assets (picks, Zeller, Thomas, Crowder).  And Brad Stevens appears to be a great NBA coach in the making.

After living through the on-going circus of ML Carr, Dave Gavitt, Chris Wallace and Rick Pitino and watching countless GMs across the league fail miserably during Danny's tenure, it baffles me that anyone would yearn for a change.    But it's a 'what have you done for me lately' job.  If Danny had traded 6 picks to get Justise Winslow, half the blog would be ecstatic and the other half furious.