Author Topic: C's interested in Enes Kanter  (Read 20352 times)

Re: C's interested in Enes Kanter
« Reply #60 on: July 02, 2015, 09:12:50 PM »

Offline Smartacus

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 318
Celtics do have an excellent perimeter defense. That got them a 12th ranked defense despite having little to no interior defense. That is defensive help + team culture.

Is that enough? Or does it have to be a defensive big man alongside Kanter?

Nice analysis, meanwhile we have Kanter eating interior defenses alive. The nice thing about how Kanter scores is that he makes quick descisions with the ball which can can be hard to come by in a post player.

Monroe can do it, but players like Big Al and Demarcus Cousins like to methodically probe the defense. Not that that kind of approach can't work, but it does slow the pace. Kanter proved that he could produce without disrupting OKC's pace.

The only way I see them letting him go is if we price them out and convince them to agree to a sign and trade for either Sully or KO + a pick.

Edit: In theory a pretty great fit next to Amir Johnson too,

« Reply #61 on: July 02, 2015, 09:15:23 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
There's just very little evidence Kanter can play adequate defense, even as a center.

Seems like posters on Celtics Blog says this about literally every player in the NBA (Kevin Love, Carmelo Anthony.)

Love to know who's defensive skills are up to Celtics Blog's expectations?

Lol. So true.  I'm guessing only Houston Texans jj watt.

Agreed, that's the "rim protector" group, they want to win games 82-80, they forget we can't score either.

Haven't you heard.

Potential and development far outweighs scoring.

Who needs scoring when you can just simply lose?

« Reply #62 on: July 02, 2015, 09:16:43 PM »

Offline ahonui06

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 27
Wouldn't be the worst signing in the world. Kanter has a good offensive repertoire and is still young. He may be able to turn into a modest defensive player.

« Reply #63 on: July 02, 2015, 09:48:46 PM »

Offline Scintan

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 656
No thanks.  Overpaying for crap because you can't bring in actual talent is not how to build a successful basketball team.

When people are free to do as they please, they usually imitate each other.

« Reply #64 on: July 02, 2015, 09:53:33 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
No thanks.  Overpaying for crap because you can't bring in actual talent is not how to build a successful basketball team.

Kanter is FAR from crap and we'd be lucky to have him.

Averaged 16 points and 9 rbs per game last season.

If that's considered crap to you, then I'll take it any day of week.

« Reply #65 on: July 02, 2015, 09:59:31 PM »

Offline Scintan

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 656

Offensive stats aren't the tell-all of a player.  You could shoot a squirrel and lay it underneath the basket.  That deceased squirrel would play better defense than Kanter.

When people are free to do as they please, they usually imitate each other.

« Reply #66 on: July 02, 2015, 10:11:59 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
I don't think the question is - is Enes Kanter a bad defender? We all agree, he's terrible.

The question is, can he improve and by how much? And how likely is that improvement?
Does it warrant taking a large financial risk? Or is it too risky?

He probably has the upside to improve from a Bargnani-level defender to a Kevin Love-level defender.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #67 on: July 02, 2015, 10:16:54 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson

Offensive stats aren't the tell-all of a player.  You could shoot a squirrel and lay it underneath the basket.  That deceased squirrel would play better defense than Kanter.

That was hilarious!

I'd love to hear you give me the name of a center that fits your expectations

« Reply #68 on: July 02, 2015, 10:22:15 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2666
  • bammokja
Celtics do have an excellent perimeter defense. That got them a 12th ranked defense despite having little to no interior defense. That is defensive help + team culture.

Is that enough? Or does it have to be a defensive big man alongside Kanter?

Nice analysis, meanwhile we have Kanter eating interior defenses alive. The nice thing about how Kanter scores is that he makes quick descisions with the ball which can can be hard to come by in a post player.

Monroe can do it, but players like Big Al and Demarcus Cousins like to methodically probe the defense. Not that that kind of approach can't work, but it does slow the pace. Kanter proved that he could produce without disrupting OKC's pace.

The only way I see them letting him go is if we price them out and convince them to agree to a sign and trade for either Sully or KO + a pick.

Edit: In theory a pretty great fit next to Amir Johnson too,
really? he scored a career high 15.5 points a game last season. nice, but to me that sounds more as if he were chewing on comatose defenses instead of eating them alive.  ;D
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #69 on: July 02, 2015, 10:28:57 PM »

Offline Jonny CC

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 76
I want a center....Kanter, Koufas or Biyombo
Before a game on Christmas against the Pacers, Bird told Chuck Person that he had a present for him. During the game, Bird shot a 3-pointer in front of Person. Immediately after releasing the ball, Bird said to Person, "Merry F!#*ing Christmas!" and then the shot went in.

« Reply #70 on: July 02, 2015, 10:36:45 PM »

Offline Rosco917

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 559
I'm not a Kanter fan either, but I will say this, we've up graded the defense of our power forwards, with the signing of Amir and Mickey, both should defend well, and give a bit of rim protection.

We do need more scoring in general, don't forget Kanter will be surrounded by a strong defensive team in general, he may score enough to be effective, and his defense...lived with.   

« Reply #71 on: July 02, 2015, 10:40:29 PM »

Offline mahonedog88

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 119
Absolutely not.

All you hear is that the guy is solid on offense, and inept on defense.  And the numbers kind of show that when he got traded to the Thunder...they became a really subpar defensive team once they traded for him.

Plus, his former teammates didn't have many good things to say about him when he left Utah, saying that he was the type of player that cared a little too much about getting his own points then actually caring about winning.

« Reply #72 on: July 02, 2015, 11:31:06 PM »

Offline PutItInTheAir

• Jordan Walsh
  • Tommy Points: 1
guess what guys? monroe, aldridge, and just about any other big name center isnt coming here. Koufos, biyumbo are dirt. Cs are a great defensive team already, and if you watched the playoffs vs CLE you would notice rim protection wasnt that bad, it was the rebounding. i mean lebron is gonna do what lebron does to all the other teams, but thompson and mosgov controlled the boards every moment they got. kanter avg 11 reb in 30 min, shot 50% from the field for his career(57% with OKC) can score, and is only 23.......23. theres plenty of room and time for improvement on the defensive end. 25 PER with OKC......25. he thrived in the P/R and i thought thats what the Cs were really good at. yall got to be more realistic........KG aint walking through that door. if you were biyombo and all you could do is block shots than you too would block a lot of shots

« Reply #73 on: July 02, 2015, 11:41:17 PM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875

He's not crap, but he is essentially the big man equivalent of Isaiah Thomas - all offensive, no defense.

We could never, absolutely never, have Kanter and Thomas on the court together - so already he's limiting the flexibility of your lineups.

You also could never defend the P&R while he's in the game, because he couldn't defend any position bar center and is too slow / dumb defensively to make switches. Puts a LOT of pressure on the rest of the guys on the court to play extra hard to try and cover up his defensive limitations...and I don't like that. 

A good player is supposed to make things easier for his teammates, not harder.   Very rare to find a team that Kanter could excel on - Golden State and OKC are probably two of the very few that come to my mind. 

« Reply #74 on: July 03, 2015, 12:09:14 AM »

Offline sawick48

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 27

RIP squirrel
7/2008 - 7/3/2015
Defensive anchor for 2015/16 Boston Celtics