Author Topic: C's interested in Enes Kanter  (Read 20340 times)

Re: C's interested in Enes Kanter
« Reply #45 on: July 01, 2015, 07:32:56 AM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2402
I don't think the question is - is Enes Kanter a bad defender? We all agree, he's terrible.

The question is, can he improve and by how much? And how likely is that improvement?
Does it warrant taking a large financial risk? Or is it too risky?

« Reply #46 on: July 01, 2015, 07:49:07 AM »

Offline greg683x

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 585
I don't think the question is - is Enes Kanter a bad defender? We all agree, he's terrible.

The question is, can he improve and by how much? And how likely is that improvement?

I don't think we have the personnel to make that happen defensively.  If we had a veteran roster with leaders that will get the most out of everybody like we did with Garnett, I'd be a little more optimistic.
Greg

« Reply #47 on: July 01, 2015, 07:52:50 AM »

Offline cltc5

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 445
There's just very little evidence Kanter can play adequate defense, even as a center.

Seems like posters on Celtics Blog says this about literally every player in the NBA (Kevin Love, Carmelo Anthony.)

Love to know who's defensive skills are up to Celtics Blog's expectations?

Lol. So true.  I'm guessing only Houston Texans jj watt.

« Reply #48 on: July 01, 2015, 07:54:06 AM »

Offline cltc5

• Tiny Archibald

Depends on the money.  He was a target last year.

« Reply #49 on: July 01, 2015, 07:55:00 AM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
He's looking for a max contract.

« Reply #50 on: July 01, 2015, 07:57:49 AM »

Offline dreamgreen

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
There's just very little evidence Kanter can play adequate defense, even as a center.

Seems like posters on Celtics Blog says this about literally every player in the NBA (Kevin Love, Carmelo Anthony.)

Love to know who's defensive skills are up to Celtics Blog's expectations?

Lol. So true.  I'm guessing only Houston Texans jj watt.

Agreed, that's the "rim protector" group, they want to win games 82-80, they forget we can't score either.

« Reply #51 on: July 01, 2015, 08:08:52 AM »

Offline cltc5

• Tiny Archibald
He's looking for a max contract.

Hmmmm.  Him and Harris would be worth the max.  Both high risk high reward guys.  But if they both pan out. Could be interesting.  He's also a good passer and runs the floor well so add that to his resume.

« Reply #52 on: July 01, 2015, 08:14:34 AM »

Offline Endless Paradise

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 182

I don't think we have the personnel to make that happen defensively.  If we had a veteran roster with leaders that will get the most out of everybody like we did with Garnett, I'd be a little more optimistic.

This. The only teams I can think of where Kanter could fit without major changes are OKC and New Orleans.

« Reply #53 on: July 01, 2015, 08:24:15 AM »

Offline cltc5

• Tiny Archibald

This. The only teams I can think of where Kanter could fit without major changes are OKC and New Orleans.

So we should pass on an offensive scoring big because we think we need a vet to tutor him defensively?  Isn't that kinda the role of the coaches?  Again cblog living In their own world

« Reply #54 on: July 01, 2015, 08:35:03 AM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2402
Celtics do have an excellent perimeter defense. That got them a 12th ranked defense despite having little to no interior defense. That is defensive help + team culture.

Is that enough? Or does it have to be a defensive big man alongside Kanter?

« Reply #55 on: July 01, 2015, 09:08:37 AM »

Offline e4e5sesame

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 11

So we should pass on an offensive scoring big because we think we need a vet to tutor him defensively?  Isn't that kinda the role of the coaches?  Again cblog living In their own world

I think what he was saying was that we should pass on Kanter because we can't put him next to a Serge Ibaka or Anthony Davis who could erase his defensive mistakes. Short of that, the best fit for Kanter would be a team with lots of veteran savvy to help organise the defense on the court, not tutor the guy.

« Reply #56 on: July 02, 2015, 08:38:52 PM »

Offline anewframe

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 9
Surely these rumors cannot be true. He is the opposite of a Brad Stevens guy.

What the hell is a definition of a Brad Stevens?

Is this now the criteria of how good a player is?

Whether or not he'll be a Brad Stevens guy?

Oy vey!!!

It is just my opinion but a Brad Stevens guy seems to be someone who plays with maximum effort, puts TEAM first and enhances the locker room chemistry. Enes Kanter by all reports does not fit this category. Did you see the scathing reports from ex teammates in Utah?

Check this article:

http://www.sltrib.com/home/2343723-155/jazz-say-enes-kanters-remarks-motivated

Also Kanter has not really shown a willingness to put in effort on the defense end. Brad Stevens has rewarded guys who play defense well but also those who put in effort.

« Reply #57 on: July 02, 2015, 08:41:32 PM »

Offline flybono

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 48
No thanx. I want a defensive center. Blocks per game aren't everything, but a center that averages .3 bpg in 27 mpg sets off alarm bells. That's truly a stunning stat.

Amen. We already have Fuzzy "turnstile" Zeller

« Reply #58 on: July 02, 2015, 08:42:47 PM »

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 419
Surely these rumors cannot be true. He is the opposite of a Brad Stevens guy.

What the hell is a definition of a Brad Stevens?

Is this now the criteria of how good a player is?

Whether or not he'll be a Brad Stevens guy?

Oy vey!!!

It is just my opinion but a Brad Stevens guy seems to be someone who plays with maximum effort, puts TEAM first and enhances the locker room chemistry. Enes Kanter by all reports does not fit this category. Did you see the scathing reports from ex teammates in Utah?

Check this article:

http://www.sltrib.com/home/2343723-155/jazz-say-enes-kanters-remarks-motivated

Also Kanter has not really shown a willingness to put in effort on the defense end. Brad Stevens has rewarded guys who play defense well but also those who put in effort.

See, I read that whole thing as Enes trying to prove to the Thunder that he was on their team now and he belongs there.  It's funny but I had the exact opposite impression as you.  Anyways, I really like his offensive game and I think he's still young enough to get coached on the defensive end.  Scott Brooks and Tyrone Corbin are both awful coaches and I think Enes could really blossom under Stevens' leadership.

« Reply #59 on: July 02, 2015, 09:12:46 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417

Yup. People criticizing Kanter for his defense as if Sully, Olynk and Zeller lock down the paint.
And then apparently, he needs a tutor to teach him how to defend.  Brilliant......NOT!!!!!
We'd be lucky to have a center in his prime like Kanter.