Author Topic: C's are one of several teams interested in signing Brandon Bass  (Read 6073 times)

Re: C's are one of several teams interested in signing Brandon Bass
« Reply #30 on: June 30, 2015, 06:22:06 PM »

Offline coco

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 146
I'd prefer Jerebko over Bass.

ditto

« Reply #31 on: June 30, 2015, 06:37:37 PM »

Offline The Oracle

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 597
  There is literally a 0% chance the C's bring Brandon Bass back, unless they plan on tanking cuz he does hold value if you want to do that!  The disaster that is him is finally over.  He never added anything at anytime.  People are amazingly still fooled by players that can jump high, play a little on ball defense, and make mid range jumpers.  He is a terrible help defender, cannot stretch the floor, is a poor rebounder, is one of the worst rim protectors in the league, cant pass and cant run offensive sets through him.  He has posted the worst plus-minus numbers 3 years running and people on this forum inexplicably think that he still holds value.  The truth is he holds no value to a contender or any other team that is trying to win games.  The clippers will pick him up though Doc has no clue about analytics.

« Reply #32 on: June 30, 2015, 06:45:25 PM »

Offline P2

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 163
  • Green 18!
I really see no point whatsoever in re-signing him.

Only need to sign any additional power forwards if we trade Olynyk or Sullinger first, and even in that case, I'd re-sign Jerebko or sign Aminu instead.

I like Bass.  Wish him well elsewhere.

That.

« Reply #33 on: June 30, 2015, 07:38:12 PM »

Offline tankcity!

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 129
Fireworks!

« Reply #34 on: June 30, 2015, 07:41:53 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
This would be such an f'n stupid move.

« Reply #35 on: June 30, 2015, 07:49:23 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Jonathan Holmes is going to take his minutes.

Seen a lot of posts with this guys name on it, he went undrafted right?

yup.  He has the tools. He had a concussion with about 7 games left and his game went downhill.

But looking at his workout videos , he looks slimmer and missed maybe 2 jump shots.

I think we are lucky he signed on with us.  Hoping he makes a good impression.

He has a chance to take some of Bass min (if we can't get a legit FA).  Not even a sec rush to sign Bass

I doubt he will be signed until mid July or so

« Reply #36 on: June 30, 2015, 08:01:37 PM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
  There is literally a 0% chance the C's bring Brandon Bass back, unless they plan on tanking cuz he does hold value if you want to do that!  The disaster that is him is finally over.  He never added anything at anytime.  People are amazingly still fooled by players that can jump high, play a little on ball defense, and make mid range jumpers.  He is a terrible help defender, cannot stretch the floor, is a poor rebounder, is one of the worst rim protectors in the league, cant pass and cant run offensive sets through him.  He has posted the worst plus-minus numbers 3 years running and people on this forum inexplicably think that he still holds value.  The truth is he holds no value to a contender or any other team that is trying to win games.  The clippers will pick him up though Doc has no clue about analytics.

Bass is the most versatile defensive big we have right now - he's capable of defending positions 3 through 5 competently.

There is nobody else on our roster bar maybe Jerebko who can do that.

Bass has also been one of the best midrange shooters in the league for about 5 years running. He's good enough at it that opposing teams always need to be aware of where he is - makes it hard for teams to double inside because leaving bass in the 15 foot range is an almost certain two points.

On midrange jumpers (between 10" - 3PT) Bass has shot 46% for his career - up there with some of the best percentages ever by a big.   

He's also very good at getting points from the line.  For his career he's shot 82.8% from the foul line, and has a career Free Throw Rate of 32.5%, which is a good number and is a skill the Celtics are in dire need of as you can see by looking at the career numbers of our other PFs:

Jared Sullinger: 21.6% FTR / 76.2% FT
Kelly Olynyk: 25.8% FTR / 74.4% FT
Jonas Jerebko: 26.2% FTR / 76.4%

He also has a spectacularly low turnover rate (10.9% for his career, 9.6% last season).  If you look the NBA all time leaders in turnover rates, you will appreciate how like a rate of 9.6% actually is - it's up around top 10 all time. 

This is unfortunately offset by the fact that he has all of about zero passing ability.  Not only is he not a GOOD passer, but he's also not a very WILLING passer.  In the big 3 era he was the pure definition of a black hole on offense - once the ball got in his hands, it was guaranteed he was going to shoot it.  Hence the "no-pass Bass" nickname.  However i have to say he's improved a LOT with this over the years, and there is no denying that he's a more willing passer now than he was back then.  The numbers back this too since his assist numbers have nearly doubled (from 1.1 AST Per 36 in 2011/12 to 1.9 AST Per 36 in 2014/15) while his turnovers went up only slightly (from 1.3 TO Per 36 in 2011/12 to 1.5 TO Per 36 in 2014/15).  That means his assist/turnover rate has increased from 0.84 in 2011/12 to 1.26 in 2014/15 - a modest improvement on paper, but very noticeable in person.

Bass still is not a good passer by any means, but he's become a lot better at recognizing when he has a good offensive opportunity, and making the right decision on whether to shoot the ball or pass to a teammate. 

He's also improved a lot as an inside scorer.  In the early big 3 era, Bass had zero ability to score inside.  He would get in the paint, catch the ball, come down with it, attempt two slow motion pump fakes (which did nothing but allowing the opponent time to get set) and then would go straight up...and get blocked. He would drive past defenders, but could never finish.  He's dramatically improved, and is now a pretty good finisher inside - even if he's still pretty lacking in post moves.  An indication of how much he's improved?  In 2011/12, his first season with Boston, he shot 55.3% on attempts inside three feet.  In 2014/15 he shot 68% inside three feet - that's an elite number and up there with the best in the league.  A very impressive number given that he only stands 6'7" with shoes. 

For his career bass has averaged 7.5 Rebounds Per 36 Minutes - that's not a fantastic number by any stretch of the imagination, but it's not terrible.  I'd say the average is probably around 8 per game for a PF, so Bass would be pretty close to average / slightly below average. 

Defensively he has his strengths and weaknesses.  The plus is that he has decent physical attributes (strength, mobility, length) and that gives his the ability to play solid on-ball defense at the SF, PF and C spot.  This also helps his P&R defense, because he has the ability to switch onto quicker wing players (like Lebron, Carmelo, etc) or bigger interior players (like Demarcus Cousins) and at the very least hold his own against them defensively.  He also has a very high motor - plays hard ALL THE TIME and never gives up on plays or loses by lack of effort. 

Unfortunately his defensive IQ is not that high though, so he's not the worlds greatest help defender - often finds himself in the wrong spots defensively, etc.  As a result his team defense is not up to par with his individual defense.  But he can still hold his own against his assignment more often than not, which is more than I can say for some guys (e.g. Sully) on the roster. 

Although he's not that young anymore, nor that physically talented, Bass has surprised everybody by showing significant (and consistent) improvement year by year.  Every year he's improves some part of his game - given his lack of outright talent, that's purel a sign of his outstanding work ethic.  I would hazard a guess that this off season, he'll be working on his three point shot...and if he can add that skill set to his game (the ability to it the three at a 34% - 36% rate) his value will jump exponentially.   

Bass is certainly 'limited' as a player, it's obvious that he's never going to be a star.  He also has clear limitations (BBIQ being the main one).  But he is a great locker room guy, he's incredibly constent game to game.  You can always depend on him to come into every new season in top physical shape, and you can always depend on him to bring great effort, professionalism, and hustle ever time he steps on the court.

If we can sign him for a modest sum (maybe $5M-$6M a year) then IMHo he is well worth that as veteran leader and glue guy who can come off the bench to provide solid minutes at both forward spots...especially considering the upcoming cap rise, and the fact that we may lose Sully after this year (he's going in to his last year of his contract). 

To be honest I would rather move forward with Olynyk + Bass than I would with Olynyk + Sully.  Sully is just too much of a liability on both defense (with his lack of mobility and versatility) and offense (with his obsession with spot up jumpers and complete lack of interest in getting to the basket).  Throw in the fact that he's going to be a FA in a year (and likely will wan top money) and he is (to me) the top of the list of guys likely to get traded by the deadline.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2015, 08:10:31 PM by crimson_stallion »

« Reply #37 on: June 30, 2015, 08:57:00 PM »

Offline Hemingway

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 123
  There is literally a 0% chance the C's bring Brandon Bass back, unless they plan on tanking

But you realize Bass was our best PF last year.

If someone wants to overpay fine, but if we still have a spot for him and no where else to spend the money by the end of the summer, than why not? a few reasons to keep Bass if cheap:

1. You need some vets to get the most out of everyone
2. He has a really good shot.
3. good d
4. good locker room guy/ maybe mentor
5. Sully, KO and Zeller will be off their rookie deals soon, we might have to make some moves.

« Reply #38 on: June 30, 2015, 09:07:43 PM »

Offline ThaPreacher

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 174
  • THA PREACHER
oh, so......NOW other teams Want him.
 :-\

The old phone in the shoe trick, 99! :o
"Just do what you do best."  -Red Auerbach-

« Reply #39 on: June 30, 2015, 09:25:20 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
The Knicks get Monroe, the Lakers get Aldridge, and the Celtics get ... Brandon Bass.

Being a fan of the NBA is just so great sometimes.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #40 on: June 30, 2015, 09:28:19 PM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
This is just Danny being nice to Bass and his agent in promoting Bass' value on the open market.
Do a favor for his agent now and he may help us down the line.
Bass has been awesome for us so it's only the right thing to do from a personal and business aspect.

Send him off to the glue factory ol' Danny boy and let our young studs get some burn.
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #41 on: June 30, 2015, 09:41:34 PM »

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 277
The Knicks get Monroe, the Lakers get Aldridge, and the Celtics get ... Brandon Bass.

You really believe this?

« Reply #42 on: June 30, 2015, 09:43:13 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2703
I was hoping for two years that we would trade Bass. Now we are trying to resign him? Why? We have a ton of PFs already, all younger and more talented than Bass.

« Reply #43 on: June 30, 2015, 11:42:58 PM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 448

Forget that, tell me about your crystal ball.
"I really don't want people to understand me." - Jordan Crawford

« Reply #44 on: July 01, 2015, 01:42:32 AM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
  There is literally a 0% chance the C's bring Brandon Bass back, unless they plan on tanking

But you realize Bass was our best PF last year.

If someone wants to overpay fine, but if we still have a spot for him and no where else to spend the money by the end of the summer, than why not? a few reasons to keep Bass if cheap:

1. You need some vets to get the most out of everyone
2. He has a really good shot.
3. good d
4. good locker room guy/ maybe mentor
5. Sully, KO and Zeller will be off their rookie deals soon, we might have to make some moves.

I didn't write that :/