Author Topic: Ziller predicts to the C's - Harris, Crowder, Davis  (Read 13427 times)

Re: Ziller predicts to the C's - Harris, Crowder, Davis
« Reply #30 on: June 30, 2015, 01:47:30 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Yeah wherever Harris winds up he'll be getting more than $10 per.  And Ed Davis at nearly as much is ridiculous and would probably cause a forum meltdown. 

There's more and more smoke around our recruiting Harris and him being interested, though.  For better or worse the chances seem better than with most of the other guys.

I'm sure the team would love to get Harris.  He's a "swing" and a "dynamic scorer," so all the signs are there that they really covet that kind of player (their top draft target, Winslow, seems similar).

I just can't see how it makes sense for the Magic to not match on any offer.
They just drafted Mario Hezonja to play SF with the # 5 pick, and Gordon to play PF with the # 4 pick last year . Doubt they are going to pay Harris a near max deal to have him be a backup , or a starter stunting the growth of their last 2 top 5 picks .

Great, so match any offer or sign him outright, play him half a season full time, then trade him at the deadline.

The Magic are a young team in a small market, there's no rush and certainly no reason to let an asset walk for nothing.  If teams are willing to pay him now, they'll be willing to trade for him later.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #31 on: June 30, 2015, 01:56:43 PM »

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1196
Yeah wherever Harris winds up he'll be getting more than $10 per.  And Ed Davis at nearly as much is ridiculous and would probably cause a forum meltdown. 

There's more and more smoke around our recruiting Harris and him being interested, though.  For better or worse the chances seem better than with most of the other guys.

I'm sure the team would love to get Harris.  He's a "swing" and a "dynamic scorer," so all the signs are there that they really covet that kind of player (their top draft target, Winslow, seems similar).

They just drafted Mario Hezonja to play SF with the # 5 pick, and Gordon to play PF with the # 4 pick last year . Doubt they are going to pay Harris a near max deal to have him be a backup , or a starter stunting the growth of their last 2 top 5 picks .

Great, so match any offer or sign him outright, play him half a season full time, then trade him at the deadline.

The Magic are a young team in a small market, there's no rush and certainly no reason to let an asset walk for nothing.  If teams are willing to pay him now, they'll be willing to trade for him later.

why wouldn't they just s+t him now then if he is not in their long term plans?

« Reply #32 on: June 30, 2015, 02:02:20 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182

I don't think you can S+T with RFAs, but I might be wrong.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #33 on: June 30, 2015, 02:02:36 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Harris will be for 12 million a season

Crowder at 6 million for season

I doubt Davis will be brought over.  Does not even have a mid range jump shot

« Reply #34 on: June 30, 2015, 02:06:41 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842

I don't think you can S+T with RFAs, but I might be wrong.
The player must re-sign with his prior team -- a team cannot include another team's free agent in a sign-and-trade.
The player must finish the preceding season with that team (deals are no longer allowed that sign-and-trade players who are out of the league, such as the sign-and-trade that sent Keith Van Horn from Dallas to New Jersey as part of the Jason Kidd trade in 2008).
The player cannot be a restricted free agent who has signed an offer sheet with another team (see question number 44).
Starting in 2013-14, the team receiving the player cannot be above the "apron" ($4 million above the tax level) after the trade1, 2. A team above the apron can receive a player in a sign-and-trade if the trade reduces the team's payroll and the team finishes the trade below the apron.
Starting in 2013-14, the team cannot receive a player in a sign-and-trade if they have used the Taxpayer Mid-Level exception (see question number 25) that season.1
The trade must be completed prior to the first game of the regular season (sign-and-trades are not allowed once the season begins).
The player cannot be signed using the Non-Taxpayer Mid-Level exception, the Taxpayer Mid-Level exception, or any exception that cannot be used to offer a three-year contract (see question number 25).
so long as he doesnt sign an offer sheet he can be sign and traded
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #35 on: June 30, 2015, 02:34:26 PM »

Offline D Dub

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 251
Just Tobias Harris. Crowder can go somewhere else we won't need him, he is a backup / role player. And Ed Davis, well I would rather sign the 22 year old Biz Biyombo and try to give him as many minutes and touches to increase his value and game.

I actually think a Harris/Crowder pairing makes a lot of sense when you look at Brad Stevens system.  Harris provides the offensive punch, while Crowder glues it all together defensively with his ability to switch every where.  I think we very much need to keep him around and $7M isn't too bad when you consider 1) other players like him (Carrrol, DGreen) are going to get paid much more & 2) these 'swiss army knife' type swings are in very short supply around the league. 

As for Ed Davis, I'd welcome the move because IMO, he's better than both Sully or KO. 
What I like about him is his ability to switch defensively --he has very quick feet and good agility-- and he's also got a nice touch around the basket and a nose for the offensive boards. 

« Reply #36 on: June 30, 2015, 02:37:13 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
I think the only predictions Ziller made that weren't low were the max deals and Davis/Crowder.

Detroit is our biggest competition for Harris, if Orlando wants to do a sign and trade then I think that gives us the upper hand on Detroit due to the fact that we have more assets.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #37 on: June 30, 2015, 02:39:09 PM »

Offline spikelovetheCelts

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 113
  • Peace it's a board. We all will never agree.
Just Tobias Harris. Crowder can go somewhere else we won't need him, he is a backup / role player. And Ed Davis, well I would rather sign the 22 year old Biz Biyombo and try to give him as many minutes and touches to increase his value and game.

I actually think a Harris/Crowder pairing makes a lot of sense when you look at Brad Stevens system.  Harris provides the offensive punch, while Crowder glues it all together defensively with his ability to switch every where.  I think we very much need to keep him around and $7M isn't too bad when you consider 1) other players like him (Carrrol, DGreen) are going to get paid much more & 2) these 'swiss army knife' type swings are in very short supply around the league. 

As for Ed Davis, I'd welcome the move because IMO, he's better than both Sully or KO. 
What I like about him is his ability to switch defensively --he has very quick feet and good agility-- and he's also got a nice touch around the basket and a nose for the offensive boards.
Davis is an elite offensive rebounder. With all the missed 3's we will be shooting this year. You need one of them to compete. I like all three signings. Trade KO to Toronto they want a Canadian on the squad I bet they would give us a 1st round pick.
"People look at players, watch them dribble between their legs and they say, 'There's a superstar.'  Well John Havlicek is a superstar, and most of the others are figments of writers' imagination."
--Jerry West, on John Havlicek

« Reply #38 on: June 30, 2015, 02:40:12 PM »

Offline TheTruthFot18

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 263
  • Truth Juice
Other relevant ones:
8. DeAndre Jordan: 4-year max with the Mavericks. Your time to shine, Ekpe Udoh!
9. Brook Lopez: 5-year max with the Nets. (Gulp.)
23. Thaddeus Young: 4 years, $44 million with the Nets.
24. Wesley Matthews: 4 years, $52 million with the Mavericks, last year only $2 million guaranteed.
31. Lou Williams: 3 years, $30 million with the Mavericks. No, I don't know how they are affording all of these players. I'm bad at math, OK?
43. Brandan Wright: 1 year, $5 million or something with Mavericks.

not the best news for our pick. He also has Pierce going to the Lakers

All these contracts would be expensive for DAL and BKN and half of those guys are injury prone. Not a chance all of those happen, maybe 1-2 each
The Nets will finish with the worst record and the Celtics will end up with the 4th pick.

- Me (sometime in January)

--------------------------------------------------------

Guess I was wrong (May 23rd)

« Reply #39 on: June 30, 2015, 02:43:04 PM »

Offline Jonny CC

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 76
http://www.sbnation.com/nba/2015/6/30/8868203/nba-free-agency-predictions-kevin-love-lamarcus-aldridge

27. Tobias Harris: 4 years, $40 million with the Celtics.

30. Jae Crowder: 4 years, $28 million with the Celtics.

34. Ed Davis: 2 years, $18 million with Celtics.

I think Harris could sign here, but it will be for more than that...$12 million annually, I think.

I think that's fair money for Jae.

Davis...meh.

I was hoping it was Ricky Davis.
Before a game on Christmas against the Pacers, Bird told Chuck Person that he had a present for him. During the game, Bird shot a 3-pointer in front of Person. Immediately after releasing the ball, Bird said to Person, "Merry F!#*ing Christmas!" and then the shot went in.

« Reply #40 on: June 30, 2015, 02:50:26 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2666
  • bammokja
Harris will be for 12 million a season

Crowder at 6 million for season

I doubt Davis will be brought over.  Does not even have a mid range jump shot
that didnt stop the  lust-fest surrounding biyombo on cb, why would it deter folks now?  ;D
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #41 on: June 30, 2015, 02:55:22 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I read Jordan Hill was let go by the Lakers, any thoughts on him over Davis?

« Reply #42 on: June 30, 2015, 02:57:13 PM »

Offline boscel33

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 166

beat me to it.  i'd take hill over davis, but lopez over both.
"There's sharks and minnows in this world. If you don't know which you are, you ain't a shark."

« Reply #43 on: June 30, 2015, 03:32:03 PM »

Offline BDeCosta26

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 232

That's really not how it works. Maybe with a guy like Aldridge but not with a guy like Harris.

To a team like the C's Harris has value because he fits a need and is attainable using just cap space, and they currently don't have anyone, save Wallace who can be dealt or stretched, who makes more than 8 million a year. Boston, like the rest of the league, will have a glut of cap space in the next few years so signing Harris to a near-max deal that they know Orlando doesn't match means we add a piece without giving anything up.

If Orlando matched, then came to us looking to deal him at the deadline, they might get slightly more than they would in a S & T, but if he's not in their future plans (which it doesn't seen like after the Hezejonia pick) why waste 2/3ds of a season starting Harris at SF? And from our perspective, you might be willing to sign Harris to a good money deal, but if he already has that deal were not gonna give up that much for him. They probably could've got a good package for him last year when you were also trading for his retainment rights, but not if he already has a max deal he's worth less as a trade chip. He's just not good enough to transcend that.

« Reply #44 on: June 30, 2015, 05:34:23 PM »

Offline D Dub

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 251

beat me to it.  i'd take hill over davis, but lopez over both.

After watching a lot of Laker games this year, I'd rather Davis. 

Jordan Hill has terrible energy, completely disinterested on defense.  He's big and athletic, sure, but appears glued to the floor & is not physical enough to handle any legit center; nor quick enough to switch against small-ball lineups.  Offensively, when it was time for Byron to tank the season last year, LA turned to Hill iso's.  Worked out great for them...

Davis on the other hand, plays with much more drive and seems to be fed up with losing basketball in LA.  Despite being smaller than Hill, he's proved more durable and is both a better shot blocker & defender.  Bargain signing, hope we get him.