Author Topic: Butler postpones meeting with Celtics (and all other teams)  (Read 3935 times)

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
From ESPN main page

Bulls offering Butler several options

The Bulls offered Jimmy Butler a 5-year deal worth more than $90M Monday, and the guard postponed meetings with other teams, sources tell ESPN's Chris Broussard. Butler had planned to meet the Lakers, Celtics, 76ers and Mavs.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

Re: Butler postpones meeting with Celtics (and all other teams)
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2015, 11:40:42 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
From ESPN main page

The Bulls offered Jimmy Butler a 5-year deal worth more than $90M Monday, and the guard postponed meetings with other teams, sources tell ESPN's Chris Broussard. Butler had planned to meet the Lakers, Celtics, 76ers and Mavs.

silver lining: we were on his short list.

« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2015, 11:42:37 AM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
As expected, as I mentioned in the other thread. Once Chicago decided to make a MAX QO, that was the end game for any leverage Butler might've had on going elsewhere, as slim as it were.

So, S&T is really the only avenue here for anyone who wants Butler.

« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2015, 11:47:39 AM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427
Bulls not playing around. Wonder if he and Rose can continue to co-exist

« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2015, 12:42:17 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
Bulls not playing around. Wonder if he and Rose can continue to co-exist
As expected, as I mentioned in the other thread. Once Chicago decided to make a MAX QO, that was the end game for any leverage Butler might've had on going elsewhere, as slim as it were.

So, S&T is really the only avenue here for anyone who wants Butler.

From all the comments I've read about how Butler wants a '1 year,' contract, and has explored post career outside of CHI, it really makes me wonder how badly the Bulls messed up by firing Thibs, extent of the relationship between Rose and Butler, and how the organization looks to move forward with a disgruntled Butler.

If anything, I see Butler wanting to be in a huge market like LA or NY. Yes, I know CHI is a big market, but right now their highest selling point is that an aging Noah, and a consistently injured Rose can propel them back to the playoffs. Not to take into account question marks surrounding how the roster was so inefficiently used, and how old Pau Gasol is getting.

I guess the only thing we have going is we just need a superstar on our team, or go to guy. Butler or Love could be those guys if they wanted the position.

We're bound to at least get a good free agent be it Monroe, Harris, Love, or whoever steps to visit us.

Our tradition, closeness between him and Crowder, and Brad Stevens plus our FO should be our main focus if Butler does propose to meet with the Celtics.

Other than that, I don't' see Butler staying more than a year. He seems like he is trying to explore options, and is ready to move out of CHI.

This is all my speculation, but it only speaks volumes to how Butler has repeatedly brought up exploring his options, and all these rumors leaking out.
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2015, 12:52:45 PM »

Offline Robb

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 128
From ESPN main page

I'm actually encouraged by this. At least he planned to meet with us.
We're the ones we've been waiting for.

« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2015, 12:54:42 PM »

Offline MBunge

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 471
Butler can sign a one-year, $4.5 mil deal and be an unrestricted free agent next year, like Monroe with Detroit.

Mike

« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2015, 12:58:42 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
Butler can sign a one-year, $4.5 mil deal and be an unrestricted free agent next year, like Monroe with Detroit.

Mike

The difference is that Detroit wasn't offering a max contract that Monroe refused.

Chicago is going to offer a crapload of money. Leaving that on the table and take just a $4.5 million deal (assuming that's correct), would be completely foolish. You have a down year or you injure yourself, you're screwed.

Remember, Butler has only one great season under his belt.

That said, with the cap going up he might find money anyways. But man, it's too big a of a risk I think.

« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2015, 01:01:18 PM »

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 277

Mike

The difference is that Detroit wasn't offering a max contract that Monroe refused.

Chicago is going to offer a crapload of money. Leaving that on the table and take just a $4.5 million deal (assuming that's correct), would be completely foolish. You have a down year or you injure yourself, you're screwed.

That said, with the cap going up he might find money anyways. But man, it's too big a of a risk I think.

It really depends how frustrated he is with Chicago.

« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2015, 01:03:20 PM »

Offline Robb

• Don Chaney

Mike

Jimmy Butler himself has already set the precedent that he would forego a deal that would pay him more in order to set himself up for a bigger payday, and he followed through and won Most Improved Player.

« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2015, 01:05:39 PM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 448

Jimmy Butler himself has already set the precedent that he would forego a deal that would pay him more in order to set himself up for a bigger payday, and he followed through and won Most Improved Player.

Yeah and he's still backing that up.

He is going to sign a one or two year deal I think and when the cap goes up, go for his money.
"I really don't want people to understand me." - Jordan Crawford

« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2015, 01:06:06 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson

Mike

Turning down an early extension (which is quite routine for many good talent players) and turning down a big contract with max money is another thing entirely particularly when it's your first big pay day.

Not say the he might not. But I'm saying it would be very foolish to risk it.

I think there's something to be learned with what happened to Rondo.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2015, 01:20:10 PM by BudweiserCeltic »

« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2015, 01:45:45 PM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
From ESPN main page

Yeah, I'm quite surprised, actually, that Boston was on his list.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2015, 02:03:40 PM »

Offline Robb

• Don Chaney

Mike

Turning down an early extension (which is quite routine for many good talent players) and turning down a big contract with max money is another thing entirely particularly when it's your first big pay day.

Not say the he might not. But I'm saying it would be very foolish to risk it.

I think there's something to be learned with what happened to Rondo.

I'm pretty sure it's more to do with not letting *only* the Bulls dictate his value and they still are even though the RFA process.

« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2015, 02:04:43 PM »

Offline Robb

• Don Chaney
From ESPN main page

Yeah, I'm quite surprised, actually, that Boston was on his list.

Let's be real, it was more as a solid for his boy Mark Wahlberg.