Author Topic: Bulpett - Big free agents not likely to land here  (Read 2895 times)

Re: Bulpett - Big free agents not likely to land here
« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2015, 10:10:33 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1615
  • What a Pub Should Be
Lately it seems that Danny Ainge has been using the local media to suppress expectations. This article (as his last few articles have been) are extremely pessimistic.

Can you blame him, if that's the case, considering the response to the draft?

Problem with this story is that every team is going to have oodles of cap space over the next couple of years pretty much regardless of what they do this summer.  It would be difficult for the Celtics to do something in free agency this summer that would prevent them from having max or near max level cap space next year and the year after that.

What good is cap room if no one wants to go to the city?

Besides projecting your own slanted & twisted views, how do you know this to be true?

When was the last time the Celtics signed a big name free agent? Don't give me that cap space argument either. Because that has been debunked this year. Don't give me KG because he was resigned. An actual true free agent.

First, prove to me that "no one wants to go to the city".  Please prove it. 

It's easy.  You can't.  You're projecting.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #16 on: June 30, 2015, 10:11:14 AM »

Offline cb8883

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 52
Lately it seems that Danny Ainge has been using the local media to suppress expectations. This article (as his last few articles have been) are extremely pessimistic.

Problem with this story is that every team is going to have oodles of cap space over the next couple of years pretty much regardless of what they do this summer.  It would be difficult for the Celtics to do something in free agency this summer that would prevent them from having max or near max level cap space next year and the year after that.

Besides projecting your own slanted & twisted views, how do you know this to be true?

Because no Boston-centered team has ever signed a free agent.  Surely Patriots and Sox fans would agree.

Not talking about all sports. Just basketball. That sport more than any is location driven. Sox have signed big name FAs because there is no salary cap and they can just outbid everyone. Football the Pats sign them few and far between...the Celtics have never and will never have the league wide appeal that playing in Dallas New York Miami and LA willl hold for 25 year olds.

« Reply #17 on: June 30, 2015, 10:12:22 AM »

Offline cb8883

• Jayson Tatum

When was the last time the Celtics signed a big name free agent? Don't give me that cap space argument either. Because that has been debunked this year. Don't give me KG because he was resigned. An actual true free agent.

Sure I can. What star basketball free agent has come to Boston?

If you tank and do it the right way players will grow with the city and appreciate it. From an outsiders view there is absolutely nothing interesting about shoveling snow at 5 am and going to bars that close around 2 and no endorsements besides dunks and Ernie Bach Jr.

« Reply #18 on: June 30, 2015, 10:15:29 AM »

Offline Kuberski33

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 537

I would rather the team do that instead of promising "fireworks" in an effort to get fans to renew season tickets.
I agree Roy, that was a poor move on their part.  I do think Wyc had decent intentions but maybe it's a sign that upper management in general misread the landscape heading into the draft?

I do think that if you can get one top FA here it becomes a lot easier to get another.  And if that happens this still can turn around fairly quickly, but things don't exactly look promising based on what's been rumored/reported to date.

« Reply #19 on: June 30, 2015, 10:15:38 AM »

Offline winsomme

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 255

The better question IMO is what good is cap room if the team doesn't have good enough talent to interest FAs in coming here?

That's why the past two seasons should have been pretty singularly about drafting well, developing those picks, and keeping an eye out for the kris middletons of the world. All things Danny has been really good at in the past.

Unfortunately, I think he lost his focus a bit and it has cost us. This article is actually somewhat encouraging to me because I have been worried that he was going to throw 15 mil at some mid level guy just to keep us more competitive.

It sounds like he's finally seeing that his focus needs to be on the guys we have and seeing what star potential they may have.

« Reply #20 on: June 30, 2015, 10:17:15 AM »

Offline cb8883

• Jayson Tatum
Drafting the bust known as KO over Greek Freak cost us a franchise talent. The one time he should have put aside the foreign player bias...

« Reply #21 on: June 30, 2015, 10:19:48 AM »

Offline colincb

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 501

Link please, because either Ainge is pulling the wool over my eyes or you're trying to.

« Reply #22 on: June 30, 2015, 10:20:11 AM »

Offline Granath

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 567

We have a real fortune teller here folks! After all, the FA period hasn't even started and it's been "debunked".

Hey cb8883, can you give us the lottery numbers for the next couple of months? CelticsBlog would be a lot more fun if all of us were millionaires and thus afford to attend every game and have the freedom to analyze the NBA full-time.
Jaylen Brown will be an All Star in the next 5 years.

« Reply #23 on: June 30, 2015, 10:21:10 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544

The better question IMO is what good is cap room if the team doesn't have good enough talent to interest FAs in coming here?

That's why the past two seasons should have been pretty singularly about drafting well, developing those picks, and keeping an eye out for the kris middletons of the world. All things Danny has been really good at in the past.

Unfortunately, I think he lost his focus a bit and it has cost us. This article is actually somewhat encouraging to me because I have been worried that he was going to throw 15 mil at some mid level guy just to keep us more competitive.

It sounds like he's finally seeing that his focus needs to be on the guys we have and seeing what star potential they may have.
There are all sorts of reports that Ainge didn't actually want to make the playoffs last year.  Of course I'm not sure why he acquired Thomas if that was his end game. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #24 on: June 30, 2015, 10:25:36 AM »

Offline BRC-14

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 19
Me whenever a big name free agent doesn't even give the Celtics a chance.  :-[

Take me where the Boston Celtics fans roam free without judgment from my enemies.

« Reply #25 on: June 30, 2015, 10:25:59 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1615
  • What a Pub Should Be

If you tank and do it the right way players will grow with the city and appreciate it. From an outsiders view there is absolutely nothing interesting about shoveling snow at 5 am and going to bars that close around 2 and no endorsements besides dunks and Ernie Bach Jr.

Besides several extenuating circumstances that you seem to be conveniently neglecting with your cherry picking of constraints, where has it been established that "no one wants to go to the city" based on the actual city of Boston?   That second paragraph you wrote there captures your projecting right there.  It's apparent. 

Shocking that it always comes back to tanking with you.  That's the one trick pony you've been tirelessly beating on here for years. 

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #26 on: June 30, 2015, 10:26:17 AM »

Offline winsomme

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 255

There are all sorts of reports that Ainge didn't actually want to make the playoffs last year.  Of course I'm not sure why he acquired Thomas if that was his end game.

I think he was teetering. and I don't entirely blame him. I mean, if we were the 8th seed, we might have been able to win a couple games against Atlanta.

As far as decisions go, I think back to keeping Humphries and Bayless last year and Bass and Turner this year. All solid veteran role players, but only made sense if we were actually in the running for a KLove or and LMA, etc...Danny rolled the dice, and it has hurt us.

« Reply #27 on: June 30, 2015, 10:28:22 AM »

Offline Kuberski33

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 537

Maybe he felt like his coach was growing more and more disenchanted with losing and needed to toss him a bone?

« Reply #28 on: June 30, 2015, 10:35:20 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
While I think the fatalism about the Celts attracting free agents is overstated, I do think the basic playbook for the Celts remains the same:

Get the stars here first, sell them on the city and the franchise, and then sign them.  Very few people who grew up outside New England are excited about Boston (or its people) until they live there. 
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #29 on: June 30, 2015, 10:37:43 AM »

Offline cb8883

• Jayson Tatum

Besides several extenuating circumstances that you seem to be conveniently neglecting with your cherry picking of constraints, where has it been established that "no one wants to go to the city" based on the actual city of Boston?   That second paragraph you wrote there captures your projecting right there.  It's apparent. 

Shocking that it always comes back to tanking with you.  That's the one trick pony you've been tirelessly beating on here for years.

I do it because I'm constantly proved to be correct. I was correct that Rondo was a role player. I was correct that Greek Freak was the pick over KO, I will be correct on Banks 2.0 as well. One thing that I'm positive on and I would put my membership on here on the line is that Boston will not sign a major tier one free agent this year. Oh sure they might sign Harris but that's really it. Monroe already ruled out Boston via hoops hype and NY Post. Love is going back to Cleveland as he has told everyone who will listen or he will head to LA which I believe he will eventually wind up at anyways. LMA is either a spur or a Laker.

You know what actually works more than free agency? You know whats coming. TANKING! While you can miss on tanking it doesn't become a 15 million a year mistake.