Author Topic: An Offseason Scenario to Regroup after the draft  (Read 1841 times)

An Offseason Scenario to Regroup after the draft
« on: June 30, 2015, 02:55:32 AM »

Offline alewilliam789

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 76
We all know that the draft didn't exactly live up to all our expectations including mine. We surprisingly ended up with more guards then we had before the draft. Even though we probably can't address the big man situation I do think we can go around with trades and free agency to add some youth and talent that will allow us to get dramatically better.

First Signing:

Sign Tobias Harris to a 15 mil max

Okay some fans are on edge about adding Tobias Harris, but for me I think it's an easy decision to bring in Harris because he brings us versatility, scoring ability, and star potential that our team lacks. He did knock down 36% of his 3P attempts and considering we are one of the worst 3P shooting teams in the NBA even though we jack up a whole lot he could really help space the floor for the rest of our team. Besides that he is a very efficient post player and we could potentially put him in a Draymond Green type of role if we wanted to play small ball like the Warriors. Of course to do that we need a shot blocker, but we would have at least 2 years to get that. He has consistently been improving defensively and I think he would only benefit even more by playing in Stevens' defensive scheme. Really hoping we can land him this year.

Trade:

Toronto receives:

SG Avery Bradley
PG Isaiah Thomas
PF Kelly Olynyk
and
Minnesota's 1st Round Pick in 2016

Boston receives:

SG Demar Derozan

This has multiple benefits for both teams. A lot of what I have heard on Toronto's front is that they don't want to give Derozan the super max that he wants once the cap increases next year and that Ujiri feels that this team is capped out. He doesn't want to rebuild this team, but he does want to retool. This trade helps to that cause on multiple fronts. He get Bradley who is a lockdown defender who can play second fiddle to Lowry that will help to contribute to winning now. Unlike Derozan, Bradley is on a extremely team friendly extended for another 3 years with the potential for him to improve on his 14 PPG and defensive stats of last year making him an even bigger deal. Pairing Thomas with Louis Williams gives them one of the best benches in the NBA and Thomas is on a team friendly contract for another 3 years contributing to their win now mentality. Additionally, Olynyk is reunited with his home country and gives them youth and offensive potential at the 4 and can coexist with Valanciunas. The last addition of Minnesota's first round pick which most likely going to become 2 2nds gives Toronto a chance to preserve cap space while giving them a chance at a valuable role player.

For Boston it's pretty simple. We are capitalizing on the fact that Toronto is selling on one of the best SGs who is also still 25. He blends really with Smart because he's a playmaker with the ball and is a very good defender. We can add him to our Tobias Harris sigining to set us up at the 2 and the 3 for awhile.

We wouldn't sign any free agents this year, but we would use either our first round picks or remaining cap space to bring in a big man.

2016 Lineup:

PG: Marcus Smart/ Terry Rozier
SG: Demar Derozan
SF: Tobias Harris
PF: Jared Sullinger
C: Tyler Zeller

Let Rozier and Smart fight for the starting PG spot and give the starting role to whoever has looked the best in Summer League/Training Camp. Allow Sullinger to prove whether he has it or not. In free agency we would then bring in Jerebko for depth at PF and maybe add a C like Biyombo or Koufos for further depth.

We resolve our guard logjam and add star power at the 2 and 3.

Re: An Offseason Scenario to Regroup after the draft
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2015, 07:20:09 AM »

Offline Irish Stew

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 56
I like the Harris signing and the bargain basement rim defender signing, but the Derozan signing IMO will not work with Stevens offense because of his career 27% 3 point shooting. I just don't think that part of your rebuild will happen.

« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2015, 01:06:10 PM »

Offline ThePoeticWolf

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 14
We all know that the draft didn't exactly live up to all our expectations including mine. We surprisingly ended up with more guards then we had before the draft. Even though we probably can't address the big man situation I do think we can go around with trades and free agency to add some youth and talent that will allow us to get dramatically better.

First Signing:

Sign Tobias Harris to a 15 mil max

Okay some fans are on edge about adding Tobias Harris, but for me I think it's an easy decision to bring in Harris because he brings us versatility, scoring ability, and star potential that our team lacks. He did knock down 36% of his 3P attempts and considering we are one of the worst 3P shooting teams in the NBA even though we jack up a whole lot he could really help space the floor for the rest of our team. Besides that he is a very efficient post player and we could potentially put him in a Draymond Green type of role if we wanted to play small ball like the Warriors. Of course to do that we need a shot blocker, but we would have at least 2 years to get that. He has consistently been improving defensively and I think he would only benefit even more by playing in Stevens' defensive scheme. Really hoping we can land him this year.

Trade:

Toronto receives:

SG Avery Bradley
PG Isaiah Thomas
PF Kelly Olynyk
and
Minnesota's 1st Round Pick in 2016

Boston receives:

SG Demar Derozan

This has multiple benefits for both teams. A lot of what I have heard on Toronto's front is that they don't want to give Derozan the super max that he wants once the cap increases next year and that Ujiri feels that this team is capped out. He doesn't want to rebuild this team, but he does want to retool. This trade helps to that cause on multiple fronts. He get Bradley who is a lockdown defender who can play second fiddle to Lowry that will help to contribute to winning now. Unlike Derozan, Bradley is on a extremely team friendly extended for another 3 years with the potential for him to improve on his 14 PPG and defensive stats of last year making him an even bigger deal. Pairing Thomas with Louis Williams gives them one of the best benches in the NBA and Thomas is on a team friendly contract for another 3 years contributing to their win now mentality. Additionally, Olynyk is reunited with his home country and gives them youth and offensive potential at the 4 and can coexist with Valanciunas. The last addition of Minnesota's first round pick which most likely going to become 2 2nds gives Toronto a chance to preserve cap space while giving them a chance at a valuable role player.

For Boston it's pretty simple. We are capitalizing on the fact that Toronto is selling on one of the best SGs who is also still 25. He blends really with Smart because he's a playmaker with the ball and is a very good defender. We can add him to our Tobias Harris sigining to set us up at the 2 and the 3 for awhile.

We wouldn't sign any free agents this year, but we would use either our first round picks or remaining cap space to bring in a big man.

2016 Lineup:

PG: Marcus Smart/ Terry Rozier
SG: Demar Derozan
SF: Tobias Harris
PF: Jared Sullinger
C: Tyler Zeller

Let Rozier and Smart fight for the starting PG spot and give the starting role to whoever has looked the best in Summer League/Training Camp. Allow Sullinger to prove whether he has it or not. In free agency we would then bring in Jerebko for depth at PF and maybe add a C like Biyombo or Koufos for further depth.

We resolve our guard logjam and add star power at the 2 and 3.

Completely agree with adding Harris.

Your trade adds no value to us what so ever.  We give up our starting shooting guard, 6th man, a big man in our rotation which we have little to give up, and a 1st rounder.  This makes no sense.   

« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2015, 01:16:07 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
Hate the DeRozan idea. Give up way too much in that package and he doesn't move the needle for us.

« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2015, 02:09:18 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
If the Celts miss on all of the interesting free agents, including Monroe and Harris, I'd be in favor of simply signing Aminu, re-signing Crowder and Jerebko, trading Bradley and Turner to clear up some time for the younger guys, signing Kosta Koufos or trading for Roy Hibbert, and calling it an off-season.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2015, 02:17:57 PM by PhoSita »
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2015, 02:17:34 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
ok with Harris and Koufos but no to the Derozan deal.  gross overpayment. 

« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2015, 02:26:45 PM »

Offline max215

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 624
If you want an accurate picture of DeRozan's value, go look at the fan's opinions on the Raptors Blog. They hate him and want him out, regardless of the return. He's a volume scorer who doesn't play defense. The only way I'd want him is if we get him for next to nothing.
Isaiah, you were lightning in a bottle.

DKC Clippers

« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2015, 02:35:00 PM »

Offline TheTruthFot18

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 263
  • Truth Juice
Anyone else not a fan of DeRozan? Like a bigger Monta Ellis but worse fg%. He can get to the line too.
The Nets will finish with the worst record and the Celtics will end up with the 4th pick.

- Me (sometime in January)

--------------------------------------------------------

Guess I was wrong (May 23rd)

« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2015, 02:41:36 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
DeRozan always seems to play well against and did well vs. PP from time to time.  I think we need a flexible big more but I never minded his game.

« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2015, 02:49:00 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Anyone else not a fan of DeRozan? Like a bigger Monta Ellis but worse fg%. He can get to the line too.

I'd be cool with having Derozan if I already have one or two more talented and efficient scorers alongside him.  It's good to have a talented slasher who can get to the line a bunch.  You want him to be a complement (albeit a high usage one), not the primary option.

It's good to have guys who excel at making the toughest shots and getting the free throw line.  Derozan is a little bit like Corey Maggette in that he excels in those areas without being a star player.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain