Poll

Who will be Danny's first call when free agency begins tomorrow?

Kevin Love
24 (30.8%)
Tobias Harris
29 (37.2%)
Greg Monroe
12 (15.4%)
Jae Crowder
6 (7.7%)
Other (Explain Below)
7 (9%)

Total Members Voted: 78

Author Topic: Danny's First Call at 12:01 AM  (Read 7177 times)

Re: Danny's First Call at 12:01 AM
« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2015, 07:43:33 AM »

Offline Greenback

• NCE
  • Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 63
  • Take away love and the earth is a tomb. ~ Browning
Aminu

They need to decide if they keep J. Holmes as their versatile defender.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2015, 07:55:52 AM by Greenback »
Everyone wants truth on his side, not everyone wants to be on the side of truth.

« Reply #16 on: June 30, 2015, 08:10:26 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
Danny's first call will be to Love.  Brad's first call will be to Harris.

« Reply #17 on: June 30, 2015, 08:17:09 AM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818

And Wyc?

« Reply #18 on: June 30, 2015, 08:28:55 AM »

Offline PaulAllen

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 55
His wife... its always good to check in when you are working late

« Reply #19 on: June 30, 2015, 08:32:59 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619

And Wyc?

LeBron.  He wants fireworks!

« Reply #20 on: June 30, 2015, 08:55:51 AM »

Online mef730

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 907
His wife... its always good to check in when you are working late

Yeah, right. I've tried that, "Honey, I'm calling you at midnight because I'm recruiting the next starting center for the Celtics."

Doesn't work.

Mike

« Reply #21 on: June 30, 2015, 09:14:31 AM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2238
With stars like Monroe, it is usually pre-arranged by the agent to talk to the team at 12.01 AM that the player wants to speak to first. So it depends more on the player than on Ainge.

Even, given this, I think Monroe is his first call.

Monroe seems like a thoughtful, analytical guy, willing to be patient and delay gratification for a greater long term reward in the end.

I mean, who ever takes the qualifying offer?!?!? Monroe also obviously has principles and a long term plan and is willing to take some risk to achieve that plan. That's why I think, despite all the "leaning towards" (Knicks)....(Knicks) "frontrunners" stuff that's been out there, that he ends up with us.

Ainge and Brad should pitch him real hard. They should tell him that he will be "the man" here for years to come and that they will build the team around him, a dominant, skilled, rim-running down-low big man surrounded by shooters. No "Melo"-drama, like in NY, it will be his team.

I know he says that he wants to be the missing piece and go to a place where he has a chance to win and to a place that "wants him" (he's been quoted in these regards). He also wants 2 years with a player option for the third.

Some people look at all that and say "knicks".

I think that you look a little deeper at past actions (like taking the QO) and the "I don't want to be anywhere I'm not wanted" quote and Falk's knowledge that we take care of our players, and I think Monroe has patience, knows he's getting paid wherever he goes and that we have a great shot at getting Moose.

« Reply #22 on: June 30, 2015, 09:34:42 AM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
Yep, Moose could win the lottery here :)
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #23 on: June 30, 2015, 09:38:23 AM »

Offline cltc5

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 445
The hornets

« Reply #24 on: June 30, 2015, 09:44:08 AM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
With stars like Monroe, it is usually pre-arranged by the agent to talk to the team at 12.01 AM that the player wants to speak to first. So it depends more on the player than on Ainge.

Even, given this, I think Monroe is his first call.

Monroe seems like a thoughtful, analytical guy, willing to be patient and delay gratification for a greater long term reward in the end.

I mean, who ever takes the qualifying offer?!?!? Monroe also obviously has principles and a long term plan and is willing to take some risk to achieve that plan. That's why I think, despite all the "leaning towards" (Knicks)....(Knicks) "frontrunners" stuff that's been out there, that he ends up with us.

Ainge and Brad should pitch him real hard. They should tell him that he will be "the man" here for years to come and that they will build the team around him, a dominant, skilled, rim-running down-low big man surrounded by shooters. No "Melo"-drama, like in NY, it will be his team.

I know he says that he wants to be the missing piece and go to a place where he has a chance to win and to a place that "wants him" (he's been quoted in these regards). He also wants 2 years with a player option for the third.

Some people look at all that and say "knicks".

I think that you look a little deeper at past actions (like taking the QO) and the "I don't want to be anywhere I'm not wanted" quote and Falk's knowledge that we take care of our players, and I think Monroe has patience, knows he's getting paid wherever he goes and that we have a great shot at getting Moose.

I think Monroe took the QO because he didn't want to be fighting with Drummond for minutes and because Detroit was a total mess for most of his tenure.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #25 on: June 30, 2015, 09:46:10 AM »

Offline apc

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 437
I am going with Harris, just because to me he appears to be the most attainable option.

« Reply #26 on: June 30, 2015, 09:48:05 AM »

Offline crownontherocks

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 86
Last your was isaiah thomas so i am guessing another pg. Since we dont have enough pg

« Reply #27 on: June 30, 2015, 09:57:01 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
I'm sure Monroe is a sharp guy.  Doesn't mean he's "analytical," at least not in the sense of thinking about basketball like analytics folks do.

I read that Monroe is interested in signing a shorter deal with a top shelf team and then cashing in on the free agent market again when the cap is a lot higher.  That's a smart call.  Monroe is clearly willing to gamble on his own health and performance.

It doesn't make the most sense for him to do that on the Celtics.  Ideally he would join a team that would offer him a spotlight and the chance to compete deep into the playoffs right away. 

Monroe will probably never be a franchise player or anything, but if he puts up 18-10 on a team that wins 50 games, especially in a major media market, he'll be relatively high profile and make a lot of money.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #28 on: June 30, 2015, 10:18:25 AM »

Offline Robb

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 128
Monroe will probably never be a franchise player or anything, but if he puts up 18-10 on a team that wins 50 games, especially in a major media market, he'll be relatively high profile and make a lot of money.

You would think the Cs could make the case for him that Boston would be that place.
We're the ones we've been waiting for.

« Reply #29 on: June 30, 2015, 10:33:17 AM »

Offline jyyzzoel

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 47
Kevin Love
Robin Lopez

I just read an article from I think it was the Boston Herald where it said that despite the reports the Celtics won't go after second tier agents who are likely to ask for more money than their worth. They quote the article on hoopshype I believe. Danny basically said he wants to use their money wisely.

The reason I put Lopez is because he is a guy Love would be well aware of in the league, and probably someone whose game he respects. You get Lopez, Love gets a little more interested. You get Biyombo, Harris, or Monroe, not so much. Lopez is 2nd tier, but he is known to Love and probably seen as a peer as they're close to the same age.

Monroe will try and get overpaid, and I don't think Danny will be okay with that even though I've read articles that have said the Celtics are okay with giving out contracts to young players that will initially seem overpriced. I think Danny is well aware that this team as is, is a treadmill team and to him and management that is unacceptable.

If he strikes out in free agency he might just strip the team via a trade that brings in a big name in a deal where he overpays, leaving the team with not much but a single pillar. Tank a season to get a great pick then next June trade that pick and others for another big name, then enter 2016 free agency much more attractive to free agents next off season... Because the Celtics as currently constructed, without major moves, are a treadmill team and Danny and Wyc will not have that.