Author Topic: Basketball Junkies Terry Rozier  (Read 4967 times)

Re: Basketball Junkies Terry Rozier
« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2015, 06:49:49 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2666
  • bammokja
i just read this over on SoSH. interesting stuff and it makes ainge's choices look very different.
http://www.basketballanalyticsbook.com/2015/04/17/final-2015-cpr-ratings/

Rozier wasn't evaluated poorly by all of the analytic models. New Hampshire Math Professor Steven Shea's CPR rating had Rozier as the thirteenth best prospect. That in and of itself is not necessarily that interesting, any NBA worthy prospect can come out as well rated in one public draft model given how many there are now.

But, it does get more interesting for two reasons. First, Shea's model rated all of the Celtics' first three picks well; rating R.J. Hunter as 11th and Jordan Mickey as 14th overall. Second, Shea's methodology focuses on the ten max performances by a prospect using game log data, then adjusted for class, suggesting those max performances may be more indicative than average performance of potential. What makes that interesting is that the Celtic's Director of Analytics, David Sparks, developed a game log metric back when he was a writer for Hardwood Paroxysm, so there's reason to believe the Celtics might be looking more at peak game performance as part of their analytic evaluation. I think there are pluses and minuses to that approach, especially if only a subset of games is used, however, I feel more confident in the Celtics selections thinking there was more than Danny's gut involved in the process.
I tried looking on their site but I cant find last years rankings, do you know if that site has them up?
sorry, but all i know is what i posted.

as the article says, there are LOTS of rating systems. this was interesting in how it promoted Bembry, but dropped WCS. maybe after this year we can see how good this rating system really is.  ;D
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

Re: Basketball Junkies Terry Rozier
« Reply #16 on: June 30, 2015, 07:12:47 PM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065
Here's 2014 with some prior years' data:

http://www.basketballanalyticsbook.com/2014/06/04/college-prospect-ratings-cpr/

It doesn't exactly inspire confidence in the rating method.