Author Topic: By the numbers Mickey better than Noel  (Read 6142 times)

By the numbers Mickey better than Noel
« on: June 29, 2015, 10:34:14 PM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136
Stats freshman year Noel, 9.9 ppg 8.1 rpg 1.9 bpg
                                 Mickey,  12.8 ppg 7.9 rpg 3.1 bpg
 Noel beat him in spg 1.9 to .6 but Noel shot .462% fg and .609% ft while Jordan shot .543% fg and 
.695% ft

Noel is still a freaky Defensive talent. The numbers suggest mickey could be a more well rounded player.

Re: By the numbers Mickey better than Noel
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2015, 10:43:28 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
Triboy vs LarBrd33

« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2015, 10:44:48 PM »

Offline Denis998

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 388
  • Rutgers '17
just one thing to note is that Noel went to Kentucky meaning deflated stats. I have been pondering the comparison of Biyombo to Noel as well. I feel that Mickey is going to be good for us, really athletic and mobile, which means that his blocks will translate to NBA.

« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2015, 10:56:28 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2663
  • bammokja
the above may be the strongest argument yet as to the uselessness of college numbers in predicting player performance.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2015, 10:59:42 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • bammokja
just one thing to note is that Noel went to Kentucky meaning deflated stats. I have been pondering the comparison of Biyombo to Noel as well. I feel that Mickey is going to be good for us, really athletic and mobile, which means that his blocks will translate to NBA.
perhaps, but mickey averaged 34.9 minutes a game in college. i sincerely doubt he will average even remotely close to that this upcoming season....unless it is in the dleague.

mickey, it seems to me, is destined to be a bench player with limited minutes. he will get blocks, but often in mop up duty at the end of games.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2015, 11:03:45 PM »

Offline oldutican

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 12
Wow! Just wow!

« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2015, 11:10:22 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818

« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2015, 11:26:16 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
perhaps, but mickey averaged 34.9 minutes a game in college. i sincerely doubt he will average even remotely close to that this upcoming season....unless it is in the dleague.

mickey, it seems to me, is destined to be a bench player with limited minutes. he will get blocks, but often in mop up duty at the end of games.

hwangjini_1 and Eddie20 = official Jordan Mickey dislike club

Why even draft him at 33 , if he is going to be a part time water boy?  Is there even a point to have a 2nd round?

Also I guess CBS can't identify promising talents.  fail right?

« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2015, 11:41:39 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842

Noel averaged 32mpg so the numbers comparison is still fair.

I dont think anyone is seriously going to put Noel and Mickey on the same level but considering that Noel would cost you Smart and then some and Mickey cost you pick 33 I think the fact that their college numbers line up so well is certainly not discouraging.

As someone else meentioned its really hard to take anything from college stats
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2015, 11:59:04 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Lol

« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2015, 12:19:33 AM »

Offline Future Celtics Owner

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 191
  • Celtic's only raise championship Banners
Are you taking Noels freshman year in the league? Because he averaged close to 5 blocks a game in college.....
http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Nerlens-Noel-6455/stats/

Ya he averaged 4.4 blocks a game as a freshman. Its not as good as Robert Upshaw at 4.5, but its not like we could have drafted him 45th or anything.....tough pill to swallow for me. Upshot must have other/worse situations, that only people close to him knew and the league found out. I really have to trust Danny and CBS on this one.
Its not like I started with Upshaw. I started with Gobert then Karl Towns......then was forced to move on from them and go to Myles Turner/Upshaw.
I have my eyes on some prospects that will be in the 2017 draft, but most people would not care to look because its too far away.

« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2015, 12:27:51 AM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136

I looked up stats on my phone and got it wrong, here  is the real deal.

10.5 ppg 9.5 rpg 4.4 BPG 2.1 Spg 

Noel is more talented no question, what do you think it is though Mickey has outstanding leaping ability, however Noel gets off the ground as fast as I have ever seen. It's incredible.

« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2015, 12:33:31 AM »

Offline Forza Juventus

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 70
Azzurri | Juventus | Boston Celtics | Kentucky Basketball

"All the negativity that’s on Celticsblog sucks. I’ve been around when Kyrie Irving was criticized. I’ve been around when Al Horford was insulted. And it stinks. It makes the greatest team, greatest fans in the world, lousy."

Celticsblog=sports radio

« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2015, 12:36:26 AM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • bammokja

hwangjini_1 and Eddie20 = official Jordan Mickey dislike club

Why even draft him at 33 , if he is going to be a part time water boy?  Is there even a point to have a 2nd round?

Also I guess CBS can't identify promising talents.  fail right?
not dislike. it is too simplistic to put others' opinions down as either like/dislike. i have stated that mickey looks like a bench player to me. and for a second rounder that is fine. all teams need bench players. mickey will not be a starter in the nba, or so it looks to me. hence, he will occupy a place on the bench and play fewer minutes than starters. IT did this and it worked just fine.

having someone not share your passion for mickey does not mean they dislike or hate mickey. opinions are more nuanced than either unbridled exuberance and "dislike." it would help this discussion for you to recognize that.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2015, 12:43:22 AM by hwangjini_1 »
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2015, 12:37:56 AM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • bammokja

Noel averaged 32mpg so the numbers comparison is still fair.

I dont think anyone is seriously going to put Noel and Mickey on the same level but considering that Noel would cost you Smart and then some and Mickey cost you pick 33 I think the fact that their college numbers line up so well is certainly not discouraging.

As someone else meentioned its really hard to take anything from college stats
i was not discussing noel in the least. i was making the point that mickey's numbers could not be counted on as reproducible if for no other reason than he playing time will be reduced. simple.
- Vandana Shiva