Author Topic: seriously, how adorable are 6er fans? (yes it's Celtic talk)  (Read 4896 times)

Re: seriously, how adorable are 6er fans? (yes it's Celtic talk)
« Reply #30 on: June 30, 2015, 04:50:01 PM »

Offline sawick48

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 27
and that's where the culture of losing, leadership, front office vision, etc i talk about comes into play.

::)

You know how you end a culture of losing? Winning games.

You know how you win games? Talent.

You know where the most talent is available in the draft? At the top.

certainly has been a cinch for the knicks, nets, clippers, etc to turn around quickly.......

or...what was it you said?  ::)

talent does not success breed. clips are a great example. LOADED with talent. all of whom have no clue how to win big games.

They just beat San Antonio, kind of a big deal the best few years, in game 7. That's the silliest example you could have given.

Please then, tell me what breeds winning culture. And do so in a manner that doesn't rely on vague buzzwords or catchphrases.

"You just have to want it."
"Grit"
"Determination"
"Hustle"
"A blue collar attitude"
"Bringing your lunch pail to work"

What tangible steps breed a winning culture?

And how does a team without them win 50 games annually?

i'm not Doc Rivers, i don't do rhetoric.

but if you think intangibles don't exist and aren't important in sports, then i'm not sure what to tell you.  yes the San Antonio series was good, but this is a team that supposively has the best pg in the league, a budding superstar, a bonafide defensive stud, and have for the past 4 years or so.....and can't get out of the 2nd round, despite routinely emptying whatever assets they have to add more pieces every offseason

and i think a lot of that was brought on by Sterling and they've done what they can to right the ship and we'll see where they go from here.  but there is most DEFINITELY a culture of winning vs a culture of losing.  especially with a team as young as philly.  talent doesn't automatically make everything ok (see my Atlanta example a few posts back).  and it's not as simple as 1 - draft high; 2 - count championships

as far as what, "breeds", right?, a culture of winning is top down leadership from the front office (LAC has never had previously), a clear vision from the top down (Philly doesn't have currently), experienced veterans that set the tone for the lockerroom no matter how poor the record is (i can't even think of the longest tenured 6er right now outside of Richardson? i guess? he still there?), i can keep going but the point is there are things that establish a winning culture that are tangible.

Philly absolutely deserves credit for going out on a limb, trying to beat the system, and bucking the trend of trying to compete.  but they've become so infatuated with picking high that they've lost sight of any semblance of a plan they had.  now it's just "lose, and worry about the rest later."  if you think they've got this rebuilding thing down pat, then i'm sure they're happy to hear that.  personally i'd rather trust a gm that's proven to take chances successfully before, with a young coach that has long term job security so the entire franchise knows no player will be above him, and build a young core that's learning how to scratch and claw to make the playoffs or fight for a seed rather than be content with letting losses pile up and cashing their checks (if they bother to get "healthy" enough to play in the first place, that is).

Re: seriously, how adorable are 6er fans? (yes it's Celtic talk)
« Reply #31 on: July 01, 2015, 02:06:37 AM »

Offline RAAAAAAAANDY

• NCE
  • Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 57
and that's where the culture of losing, leadership, front office vision, etc i talk about comes into play.

::)

You know how you end a culture of losing? Winning games.

You know how you win games? Talent.

You know where the most talent is available in the draft? At the top.

certainly has been a cinch for the knicks, nets, clippers, etc to turn around quickly.......

or...what was it you said?  ::)

talent does not success breed. clips are a great example. LOADED with talent. all of whom have no clue how to win big games.

They just beat San Antonio, kind of a big deal the best few years, in game 7. That's the silliest example you could have given.

Please then, tell me what breeds winning culture. And do so in a manner that doesn't rely on vague buzzwords or catchphrases.

"You just have to want it."
"Grit"
"Determination"
"Hustle"
"A blue collar attitude"
"Bringing your lunch pail to work"

What tangible steps breed a winning culture?

And how does a team without them win 50 games annually?

i'm not Doc Rivers, i don't do rhetoric.

but if you think intangibles don't exist and aren't important in sports, then i'm not sure what to tell you.  yes the San Antonio series was good, but this is a team that supposively has the best pg in the league, a budding superstar, a bonafide defensive stud, and have for the past 4 years or so.....and can't get out of the 2nd round, despite routinely emptying whatever assets they have to add more pieces every offseason

and i think a lot of that was brought on by Sterling and they've done what they can to right the ship and we'll see where they go from here.  but there is most DEFINITELY a culture of winning vs a culture of losing.  especially with a team as young as philly.  talent doesn't automatically make everything ok (see my Atlanta example a few posts back).  and it's not as simple as 1 - draft high; 2 - count championships

as far as what, "breeds", right?, a culture of winning is top down leadership from the front office (LAC has never had previously), a clear vision from the top down (Philly doesn't have currently), experienced veterans that set the tone for the lockerroom no matter how poor the record is (i can't even think of the longest tenured 6er right now outside of Richardson? i guess? he still there?), i can keep going but the point is there are things that establish a winning culture that are tangible.

Philly absolutely deserves credit for going out on a limb, trying to beat the system, and bucking the trend of trying to compete.  but they've become so infatuated with picking high that they've lost sight of any semblance of a plan they had.  now it's just "lose, and worry about the rest later."  if you think they've got this rebuilding thing down pat, then i'm sure they're happy to hear that.  personally i'd rather trust a gm that's proven to take chances successfully before, with a young coach that has long term job security so the entire franchise knows no player will be above him, and build a young core that's learning how to scratch and claw to make the playoffs or fight for a seed rather than be content with letting losses pile up and cashing their checks (if they bother to get "healthy" enough to play in the first place, that is).

Adding pieces? They're the thinnest team in contention. The pieces they added were Spencer Hawes and Austin Rivers. That team wasn't deep enough to contend, talent is the only reason they got anywhere.

The sixers absolutely have top down buy in on a strategy and a unified FO. This veteran nonsense for developing teams is so silly. Mbah a Moute and Richardson were more than enough, the idea veterans try to give their job away was always funny to me.

All of the winning culture buzzwords people love to ramble on about are things the Sixers do. Their issue is that they're not good enough at basketball to win games.