Author Topic: Advanced Stats for free agent gems.  (Read 548 times)

Advanced Stats for free agent gems.
« on: June 29, 2015, 06:22:04 PM »

Offline danglertx

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 210
So I wanted to check advanced stats to find who might be hidden players with more value than they will probably get paid.  I thought about what stats matter most to me at the positions of C, PF, and SF in some instances because these are the areas we are weakest, at least depth wise.

I settled on contested rebound %, effectivefg%, and oppfg% at the rim. 

This is my reasoning, rebounds other people on your team get shouldn't count against you, just as rebounds that happen to land near you.  KO seems to pick up his rebounds when nobody is around.  I want the guys who can go get the ball in a crowd.

efg% adjusts for threes counting more than 2pt shots which for sf and pf and the occasional 5 is important.  I wanted players who score efficiently.

oppfg%at the rim, is also the defensive metric I chose.  I could have used other things, but we are looking for rim protectors.  I don't care how many shots a player blocks, I want to know how many shots he keeps from going in the basket.

After this post, I'll copy and paste the stats I pulled out to get these players.  It probably won't format right and look horrible but at least the names will be in order.  I also didn't list every player, but just the ones I was interested in, the Boston ones for reference, and some prominent names so people could see how those players ranked in these stats. 

It took a lot of time so if you have unconstructive criticism... well you know.

Let's start with everyone's favorite position to complain about the 5.  Sure people on the board want Kevin Love, DeAndre Jordan, and LaMarcus Aldridge but to get those guys you are going to have to pay big bucks.   Meanwhile, coming in very under the radar, like a Malaysian Airliner, Jeff Withey.

Jeff Withey grabbed 61.5% of his contested rebounds.  Could he do it as a starter, probably not but he was far ahead of most others.  If you adjust games played to 30 to weed out the low volume stat anomalies his 61.5% ranks first ahead of second best Brook Lopez at 53.7%.

Withey's efg% is at the respectable 50%.  So we aren't gaining anything on offense from him.  He does however rank higher than  Avery Bradley, Thomas Robinson and Al-Farouq Aminu.  Basically you'd like a player to be 50% or higher, and he is.

Finally, oppfgattherim, another gold spot for Withey.  He is at 43.7%.  That is higher than this boards favorite player Nerlens Noel.  Rudy Gobert let the league with a 40.4% with Serge Ibaka second at 40.8.  So Withey is right up there with the top defenders at the rim.

So Withey played 7 minutes a game for 37 games.  Not a huge sample size, but enough to draw the conclusion he might be a buy low sell high player.  Like my next C, Alexis Ajinca.

Ajinca was solid on contested rebounds at 47.2%.  Not great for a 5 but serviceable.  For a reference Tyler Zeller was a 42.8.  He was a very good 55% on eFG and is an outstanding free throw shooter to boot.   His oppfg%attherim was a rather pedestrian 52.3%.  Right in the ball park with Tyler Zeller and Kevin Love, neither known as defensive stalwarts.  Ajinca should come cheap though. 

Robin Lopez and Tyson Chandler would round out my bargain 5s list.  On to the 4s.

At the 4 and swing 3 we have a couple options that surprised me.  Al-Farouq Aminu, Marreesse Speights, and Thomas Robinson are all options.  Speights has a 3.5mil option that can be picked up by Golden State which they may or may not do considering they have to pay some people big bucks. 

Aminu is strong defensively and on the boards but doesn't shoot well.   Speights actually rebounded and defended at the rim better than I thought and wasn't as efficient as I thought he would be.  Meanwhile, kudos to whoever brought up Thomas Robinson on the board.   He wasn't an efficient scorer but he really rebounded and protected the rim better than I ever would have imagined.  And he did it for two teams.  His efficiency would have actually been good if just Portland was used but he was terrible in Philly.

Another notable guy who shocked me but I honestly can't say what position he plays is Amir Johnson in Toronto.  He was great at getting contested rebounds, super efficient, and good as a rim protector.

The small forwards/big 2s were harder to judge because you really just want efficient scoring from your wing or defense.  I can see why Danny was interested in Demarre Carroll.  Datome was efficient in a small sample size.  Tobias Harris was solid but not overwhelming.   Jae Crowder was worse than I remember.  I don't think Harris is worth the money it would cost to get him. 

I also forgot to mention Koufos as a 5.   Decent rim protection and eFG.  Poor contested rebounding. 

Anyway, those were the advanced stats I thought were most important.

Re: Advanced Stats for free agent gems.
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2015, 06:22:27 PM »

Offline danglertx

• Bailey Howell
Contested rebound %

Jeff Withey 61.5%
Robin Lopez 51.5%
Marreese Speights 50.6%
Amir Johnson 49%
Alexis Ajinca 47.2%
Thomas Robinson 46.2%
Tyson Chandler 45.3%
Jared Sullinger 44.9%
Al-Farouq Aminu 43.3%
Tyler Zeller 42.8%
Kosta Koufos 41.9%

eFG%
Tyson Chandler 66.6%
Amir Johnson 59.2%
Gigi Datome 58.4%
DeMarre Carroll 57.9%
Danny Green 56.6%
Alexis Ajinca 55.0%
Tyler Zeller 54.9%
Paul Pierce 53.7%
Robin Lopez 53.5%
Kelly Olynyk 53.3%
Paul Milsap 51.8%
Tobias Harris 51.2%
Kevin Love 51.1%
Brandon Bass 51%
Kosta Koufos 50.8%
Jimmy Butler 50.2%
Isaiah Thomas 50.1%
Jeff Withey 50%
Marc Gasol 49.6%
Gregg Monroe 49.6%
Marreese Speights 49.5%
Giannis Antetokounmpo 49.4%
Avery Bradley 49%
Thomas Robinson 48.5%
Jared Sullinger 47.6%
Jae Crowder 47.6%
Monta Ellis 47.5%
Marcus Smart 46.2%
Al-Farouq Aminu 45.9%

Opp FGP at Rim
Rudy Gobert 40.4% led league when you take out small samples
Serge Ibaka 40.8%
Al-Farouq Aminu 41.9%
Jeff Withey 43.7%
Nerlens Noel 45.4%
Kosta Koufos 46.9%
Thomas Robinson 47.6%
Robin Lopez 48.0%
DeAndre Jordan 48.5%
Marreese Speights 49.3%
Tyson Chandler 50.9%
Joakim Noah 51.7%
Tyler Zeller 51.8%
Amir Johnson 52.3%
Alexis Ajinca 52.3%
Kevin Love 52.6%
Jared Sullinger 52.8%
Kelly Olynyk 53.5%
Nikola Vucevic 53.7%
Paul Milsap 55.0%
Greg Monroe 55.1%

« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2015, 06:29:36 PM »

Offline flybono

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 48
Good info......

« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2015, 06:29:37 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
TP for the terrific research.

Had not thought of Withey as a target before but if he could be had for cheap why not?
Im not a big Speights fan, but I think all the other guys you mentioned could be really nice Evan Turner types signings as Ive taken to calling them.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2015, 07:08:01 PM »

Offline danglertx

• Bailey Howell
Since I saw Biyombo has a thread, I'll add him.

efg% 54.3% which is pretty good, Tyler Zeller range.

contested rebounding % 42.1% which is also Tyler Zeller range.

oppfg%attherim 49.1% a little bit better than Tyler Zeller, but in the ballpark.