Author Topic: Trade for Joe Johnson  (Read 4358 times)

Trade for Joe Johnson
« on: June 29, 2015, 06:08:05 PM »

Offline celticsfan8591

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 38
I know everyone's excited about signing Kevin Love, Greg Monroe, or Tobias Harris, but judging by the entire history of our franchise, it seems wise to consider other potential uses of our cap space this summer.  Instead of overpaying for the likes of DeMarre Carroll and Robin Lopez, why not use that space to trade for Joe Johnson?  The Nets tried to trade him to Memphis, but the deal fell apart because Memphis couldn't put together a package of players that a) matched Johnson's salary and b) was expendable.  Because Johnson's salary is so mammoth, this will likely be the case for every other team that's over the cap, and the teams with cap space who can actually sign major free agents likely won't want to use their space on Johnson.  That leaves the Nets with very few options; if they're serious about getting rid of Johnson they might have to give up some assets to dump him.  How about we send the Nets a top 55 protected pick for Johnson and the right to swap first rounders in 2019?  In this deal the Nets save a ton of money (almost 25 million dollars for Johnson plus a steep repeater luxury tax bill), while we pick up a future asset that might be meaningless but could be very valuable depending on how the Nets' attempts to sign free agents go.  Additionally, losing Johnson would significantly weaken the Nets this year since he's far and away their best perimeter scorer and they have no means of replacing him.  This trade would increase the value of the pick we get from Brooklyn in next year's draft.  Thoughts?

Re: Trade for Joe Johnson
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2015, 06:11:39 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
I know everyone's excited about signing Kevin Love, Greg Monroe, or Tobias Harris, but judging by the entire history of our franchise, it seems wise to consider other potential uses of our cap space this summer.  Instead of overpaying for the likes of DeMarre Carroll and Robin Lopez, why not use that space to trade for Joe Johnson?  The Nets tried to trade him to Memphis, but the deal fell apart because Memphis couldn't put together a package of players that a) matched Johnson's salary and b) was expendable.  Because Johnson's salary is so mammoth, this will likely be the case for every other team that's over the cap, and the teams with cap space who can actually sign major free agents likely won't want to use their space on Johnson.  That leaves the Nets with very few options; if they're serious about getting rid of Johnson they might have to give up some assets to dump him.  How about we send the Nets a top 55 protected pick for Johnson and the right to swap first rounders in 2019?  In this deal the Nets save a ton of money (almost 25 million dollars for Johnson plus a steep repeater luxury tax bill), while we pick up a future asset that might be meaningless but could be very valuable depending on how the Nets' attempts to sign free agents go.  Additionally, losing Johnson would significantly weaken the Nets this year since he's far and away their best perimeter scorer and they have no means of replacing him.  This trade would increase the value of the pick we get from Brooklyn in next year's draft.  Thoughts?

No thanks. If Johnson can contribute anything it'll be on a contender or on a really good team where he won't be required to be 1a or 1b. We have neither at this point. If we signed Kevin Love, I wouldn't see why not. But it looks like we might be signing Harris, so no need for that.
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2015, 06:12:42 PM »

Offline WeMadeIt17

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 435
Yeah give me Tobias every day of the week now.

« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2015, 06:14:46 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
Firstoff this should be a last resort plan. However if it came to it Id consider it.

I dont think Brooklyn wants to give up a first, but Id be happy to do a GWallace for Joe deal.

saves them 15 mil a year and leaves us with enough room to play with some Evan Turner type signings. Also Johnson offers reasonable scoring at the 2 and 3 so you could do worse.

Is there any way to do it without creating a massive trade exception?
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2015, 06:16:13 PM »

Offline celticsfan8591

• Jaylen Brown

No thanks. If Johnson can contribute anything it'll be on a contender or on a really good team where he won't be required to be 1a or 1b. We have neither at this point. If we signed Kevin Love, I wouldn't see why not. But it looks like we might be signing Harris, so no need for that.

The point isn't really to get Johnson; he clearly won't move the needle for us.  But if he's not on the Nets that's good for us, so if we can make that happen and get another asset for doing so I think it would be worth doing.

« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2015, 06:20:53 PM »

Offline Geo123

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 33
No I wouldn't do it.  #1 he wouldn't help us much and #2 it helps potentially free up cap money for the Nets which hurts us with their draft picks.

« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2015, 06:22:02 PM »

Offline celticsfan8591

• Jaylen Brown
Firstoff this should be a last resort plan. However if it came to it Id consider it.

I dont think Brooklyn wants to give up a first, but Id be happy to do a GWallace for Joe deal.

saves them 15 mil a year and leaves us with enough room to play with some Evan Turner type signings. Also Johnson offers reasonable scoring at the 2 and 3 so you could do worse.

That's a good point; I didn't think about the risk of giving the Nets a trade exception.  Not sure if there's a way around that, but on the other hand if the Nets are trying to save money they would only use the trade exception to acquire a big star that became available, and they don't have any assets to give up for one.  They can't trade a first rounder until 2020 and you can't combine a trade exception with other players, so I don't see how they could really use it to improve their team unless its by taking on a good, but massively overpaid player like the one they just gave up.

« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2015, 06:23:23 PM »

Offline celticsfan8591

• Jaylen Brown
No I wouldn't do it.  #1 he wouldn't help us much and #2 it helps potentially free up cap money for the Nets which hurts us with their draft picks.

If the Nets re-sign Lopez and Young (all indications are that they will), it doesn't put them under the cap this year, and Johnson comes off the books after that anyway.

« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2015, 06:25:50 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842

That's a good point; I didn't think about the risk of giving the Nets a trade exception.  Not sure if there's a way around that, but on the other hand if the Nets are trying to save money they would only use the trade exception to acquire a big star that became available, and they don't have any assets to give up for one.  They can't trade a first rounder until 2020 and you can't combine a trade exception with other players, so I don't see how they could really use it to improve their team unless its by taking on a good, but massively overpaid player like the one they just gave up.
Good point. even if you could combine players and picks its unlikely they could acquire anyone better than Joe Johnson, and that would defeat the whole purpose
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2015, 10:04:40 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
I mentioned in another thread that if we can't get Harris, I'd much rather have JJ at the 3 than Aminu.

« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2015, 10:23:47 PM »

Offline Sketch5

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280
Only if we get to swap picks with them from 2019 threw 2030.:)

« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2015, 10:13:07 AM »

Offline spikelovetheCelts

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 113
  • Peace it's a board. We all will never agree.

We have the Rondo Trade Exemption plus Wallace give them a second round pick too. I like the thought of making them worse. I would wait till we strike out in FA First.
"People look at players, watch them dribble between their legs and they say, 'There's a superstar.'  Well John Havlicek is a superstar, and most of the others are figments of writers' imagination."
--Jerry West, on John Havlicek

« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2015, 04:13:46 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.

The point isn't really to get Johnson; he clearly won't move the needle for us.  But if he's not on the Nets that's good for us, so if we can make that happen and get another asset for doing so I think it would be worth doing.

Ummm what? I think the Celtics have a better team right now regardless of Lopez and Young resigning and being healthy.

So why would we trade for a player who can't move the needle for us? If he can't move the needle for us, as you, yourself just suggested, why would we want to trade for someone who wouldn't move the needle either on the Nets? I would rather have Johnson take iso shots on the Nets, where they will most likely end up out of the lottery, or 8h seed at best.

The Nets also aren't going to give us any more assets. I think they learned a lesson not to trade with Danny Ainge.
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2015, 04:15:49 PM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427
at this point how much of an asset can Joe Johnson really be. Don't know what his asking price is but I bet it'll be 12-15 mil and upward (I am just guessing based on his current salary). He is getting old...who will pay for an old guy making that much money?

I'd pass

« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2015, 04:39:15 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
No, he is told old and broke down and most likely too expensive.   Let him hang like an albatross around the NETS neck to make our pick from them better.