Author Topic: Biyombo is a UFA  (Read 13943 times)

Re: Biyombo is a UFA
« Reply #30 on: June 29, 2015, 07:04:38 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
6'9" center?? I dunno...
remember, those players dont rebound with the tops of their heads.  ;D

biyombo's standing reach is 9' 3".

for comparison, zeller's standing reach is 8' 8.5".

the average standing reach for a center in the nba is 9' 1.2". biyombo is fine.
 a question for the board. by ufa here, does that mean charlotte can, or cannot, match other teams offers to him?

OK, you sold me.  TP

Bill Russell was 6'9", who am I to judge??

« Reply #31 on: June 29, 2015, 07:08:28 PM »

Offline TheTruthFot18

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 263
  • Truth Juice
I liked him before we got Mickey. They seem similar.
The Nets will finish with the worst record and the Celtics will end up with the 4th pick.

- Me (sometime in January)

--------------------------------------------------------

Guess I was wrong (May 23rd)

« Reply #32 on: June 29, 2015, 07:11:05 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Zach Lowe on Biyombo:

http://grantland.com/the-triangle/the-nba-groupon-games-which-players-are-the-next-free-agent-steals/

I?m leading a movement to relocate the last starving residents of Waiters Island onto the Biyombo Archipelago. Biyombo has earned his punch-line reputation as perhaps the NBA?s least competent offensive player. He has one move: Catch the ball near the rim and dunk.

If he catches the ball too far from the basket, or if a help defender gets in his way, he is helpless:

Biz 3

Biz 1

Look at the floor an instant before Biyombo launches that hopeless hook: Three teammates are wide open beyond the arc, raising their arms, begging for the ball.

This is sadly indicative of what is perhaps Biyombo?s most damaging limitation: He cannot, or will not, pass. He has 19 assists combined over the last two seasons. He has assisted on fewer than 2 percent of Charlotte?s baskets while on the floor in each of those two seasons, putting him in rare historic territory. Being a finisher first is fine, especially for a range-less big man with hops, but even those types need at least basic NBA passes in their bag for moments when help converges.

Mastering the simple kickout dish could also help Biyombo trim his ugly turnover rate, since he wouldn?t stumble into charging calls, traveling violations, and fumbles.

If a team can teach Biyombo to read the floor just a bit better, he could become something in the NBA. He has already improved in small ways. He doesn?t flat-out drop the ball as much as he used to; his hands have softened from granite to limestone. He is an explosive leaper in traffic and faster than almost every center in the league. He sucks in extra defensive attention on his rolls to the rim, opening up shots for teammates dotting the perimeter:

Biz 2

Charlotte sports the league?s saddest rotation of outside shooters, and it?s tempting to imagine how Biyombo might fare for a team that could surround him with more shooting. The Hornets have scored a respectable 102.3 points per 100 possessions when Biyombo shares the floor with Marvin Williams, the only 3-point shooter in Charlotte?s frontcourt rotation, and collapsed whenever Biyombo plays alongside any other big, per NBA.com.

He has hit a career-best 58 percent from the line this season, and he?s a creative screen setter who toggles between laying the wood and darting into the lane before really setting a pick.

Biyombo is a proven rim protector on defense, with the wheels to defend stretchier big men on the perimeter ? a rare combination:

Biz 4

Opponents hit just 45.6 percent of shots at the basket this season with Biyombo nearby, a stingy mark, and that number was even lower last season ? 39.1 percent, the best mark in the league among rotation bigs, per Spor**** data.

Biyombo can get a little out of control defending in space, and he?s never going to have a post game or any sort of range. Opponents are free to play small against the Hornets with Biyombo on the floor, since a wing player can guard him without worrying about Biyombo posting up. That?s a real liability, and one that could become more glaring as smart coaches go small at every chance.

But Biyombo is a force at the basket, and he could develop into a threatening pick-and-roll dunk machine. Nabbing Biyombo at $3 million or $4 million per season might turn into a bargain, especially after the cap leaps in 2016-17. That kind of salary is already a team-friendly price for a backup big who can start in a pinch, provided the right kind of personnel is around him.

Even the most plugged-in execs are cautious in projecting contracts for this summer, the last one before the biggest cap jump in league history. Teams and agents will negotiate in a weird netherworld between the projected cap for next season, around $68 million, and the potential $90 million cap coming in 2016-17. The league?s average salary, and perhaps the midlevel exception,2 could jump to $7.5 million or so in just two years. Teams want good contracts now, but agents don?t want to sign contracts that will look silly in 2017.

Could you get Biyombo at $4 million? Most people think so, but no one is sure. The Hornets have to tender Biyombo a one-year, $5.2 million qualifying offer to retain matching rights, and executives are nearly unanimous that Biyombo won?t get that kind of money on the open market.

« Reply #33 on: June 29, 2015, 07:23:45 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
Another good article:  http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2487399-bismack-biyombo-is-the-most-underrated-free-agent-for-celtics-this-offseason

"The 6?9? Biyombo has physical characteristics that can?t be taught. His wingspan is a pterodactyl-like 7?6?, and he?s the rare center who's quick enough to chase smaller ball-handlers on the perimeter. Rim protection will always be valuable in the NBA, but big guys who can't do much else on defense are severely less useful than those who switch on screens 30 feet from the basket and hedge pick-and-rolls with quick enough feet to recover back to the paint. It?s a bonus and adds to Biyombo?s value."

According to Synergy, in a small sample size, Biyombo held opponents to just 0.55 points per possession in isolation situations. That placed him in the 95th percentile. His numbers when defending the post were less impressive but still sturdy (55th percentile). Last year, the Hornets allowed 98.7 points per 100 possessions with Biyombo on the floor and 102.0 when he sat?the difference between the second- and 12th-best defenses in the league.

But he impacts the boards and was ninth in offensive rebounding percentage among players who logged at least 1,000 minutes last season. The Hornets grabbed just 20.3 percent of their own missed shots with Biyombo on the bench but 25.9 percent when he played. That first number is worse than the 30th-ranked Atlanta Hawks, but with Biyombo, they nearly ranked in the top 10.

Someone call Philly.  Let em know that instead of giving up our entire team for Nerlens Noel, we're just going to sign poor man's Noel for 3-5mil per year.  Thank them for their time and wish them luck with their big man clog.

« Reply #34 on: June 29, 2015, 07:36:43 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239

I'm not going to rehash all the stuff I've said about Biyombo in previous threads...
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #35 on: June 29, 2015, 07:45:49 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish

I'm not going to rehash all the stuff I've said about Biyombo in previous threads...

lol

That was my version of this: 

« Reply #36 on: June 29, 2015, 08:11:22 PM »

Offline JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2156
Please Ainge, this is the guy.  The best buy low out there and he fills a position of need.
The only color that matters is GREEN

« Reply #37 on: June 29, 2015, 08:13:10 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352
If a "buy low" candidate has 4 or 5 GMs asking after him, is it likely he stays a "buy low" FA?
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

« Reply #38 on: June 29, 2015, 08:22:40 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
Biyombo does nothing for me and should only be option Y or Z if we've exhausted all other possibilities.

The fact that the Hornets didn't make him a qualifying offer should tell you something.

« Reply #39 on: June 29, 2015, 08:23:37 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson

« Reply #40 on: June 29, 2015, 08:24:21 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352
Biyombo does nothing for me and should only be option Y or Z if we've exhausted all other possibilities.

The fact that the Hornets didn't make him a qualifying offer should tell you something.

They like toying with the armchair GMs on Celticsblog?
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

« Reply #41 on: June 29, 2015, 08:25:09 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
6'9" center?? I dunno...

Do your research!!!

http://thepaintedarea.blogspot.com/2011/06/2011-international-draft-prospect.html

There are absolutely no questions about Biyombo's physical skills: 9-4 standing reach, 7-6 wingspan and 245 lbs. of chiseled muscle.

I think he actually has a 9-4 standing reach now.

Smitty77

And he's still not that good.

« Reply #42 on: June 29, 2015, 08:27:48 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
LarBrd33's fav thread!!!! Yay!!

Now if we could only find a way to add Bennett and Stauskas, we could call it a season ;)

I couldn't help to laugh by myself on your post, TP :)

But I still would like DA to take a chance on him.
I'm contractually obligated to comment in all Biyombo and Nerlens Noel threads.   Things were a lot simpler when I could just spend all my time bashing Rondo.  These days, I've had to diversify my misunderstood opinions.

The Noel interest I can understand and hope we get him. I don't get the love with Biyombo. He's raw offensively and his "wingspan" is fairly meaningless to me.

Again, I suppose it's an okay fallback option but I sure hope we've really run the gamut in pursuing better free agents and trade options for center.

« Reply #43 on: June 29, 2015, 08:29:29 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
6'9" center?? I dunno...
remember, those players dont rebound with the tops of their heads.  ;D

biyombo's standing reach is 9' 3".

for comparison, zeller's standing reach is 8' 8.5".

the average standing reach for a center in the nba is 9' 1.2". biyombo is fine.
 a question for the board. by ufa here, does that mean charlotte can, or cannot, match other teams offers to him?

Why does everyone bring up Biyombo's wingspan when talking about him? How does this translate to wins for the Celtics this upcoming season?

« Reply #44 on: June 29, 2015, 08:30:19 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
Please Ainge, this is the guy.  The best buy low out there and he fills a position of need.

Why not higher expectations a bit?