Author Topic: Tracking our picks through the offseason  (Read 3019 times)

Tracking our picks through the offseason
« on: June 29, 2015, 03:11:41 PM »

Offline mahcus smaht

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 4
We own potentially 4 1st rounders next year. I know a thread resembling this exists but I thought it would be worth seeing everyone's take in the situation pre-free agency

Boston - unprotected
We have plenty of threads discussing how well we will do over the next year. All I will say here is we look to have a good shot at some guys like Harris

Minnesota - top 12 protected
I don't expect to get this pick but unless they play games with injuries like last year there is a chance. If Wiggins makes a big year 2 leap and if Rubio is back and healthy and if Towns wins ROY this could be a decent team. As far as future offseason plans I expect them to be unsuccessful in unloading pek and have seen it reported that KG will be back (good for us as he will probably instill a sense of urgency in the young team)

Dallas - top 7 protected
Now the interesting ones
Dallas has a nice shell of a roster with dirk and parsons on reasonable contracts. They rely on adding some pieces this season. The Mavs are legit possibilities for deandre and Aldridge. If they fail to get either it is not out of the realm of possibility that they could miss the playoffs.

Brooklyn - unprotected
Has been discussed ad nauseum, but I think they did a nice job in the draft and Thad and brook coming back could be good news for '17 and '18 but not '16.

My way to early predictions:
Boston: could be anywhere was last year a fluke? Will we sign a big FA? Will we have a breakout performer? Id guess we squeeze into the playoffs by making a big enough improvement to keep up with the East but not big enough to leap into real contention. Pick range 16-19 with caps at 24 and 10

Minnesota: at some point during the season will be in conveying position but ultimately they finish with 7-10 worst record in league

Dallas: huge FA variable here too I expect the pick in the 18-20 range going no worse than 24th and no better than 12th

Brooklyn: assuming brook and Thad young are back 10-12 with caps at 7 and 16

Re: Tracking our picks through the offseason
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2015, 03:23:45 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2666
  • bammokja
great analysis and good work. thanks for taking the time to post this.

if your are in the ball park in terms of celtic picks, and, they dont win the lottery, then they will still be in a good position to move up into the top 5-8 range with a trade.

this is a long way off, but still worth knowing.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2015, 03:24:47 PM »

Offline max215

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 624
Great post. It'll be fun to revisit this after FA.
Isaiah, you were lightning in a bottle.

DKC Clippers

« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2015, 02:14:09 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
wow. A lot to take in so far.

Some things worth mentioning in relation to the Nets pick.

All the teams ahead of them have either improved or stayed the same. No one has "blown it up" or fallen apart like Dallas and toronto look like they may be doing in the West.

Behind them Miami and Indiana still look poised to make a leap. If Indiana can get a decent big man or 2 they could be in bussiness. Miami will almost certainly make the playoffs if DWade returns.

as for Dallas, they are really relying on getting Deandre Jordan. However, if they dont get him Im actually worried they will be a bottom 7 team. I mean they are a hobbled Parsons and an ancient DDirk rn. That is all they have.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2015, 04:26:02 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 551
If the TWolves 1st doesn't covey, we will get their 2016 and 2017 2nd rounders instead.  For 2016 we also the 2nd rounders from Cleveland, Dallas, Miami and Philly.  So we'll probably have 3 1sts and 5 2nds. 

« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2015, 04:58:41 PM »

Offline Yenohb

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 73
as for Dallas, they are really relying on getting Deandre Jordan. However, if they dont get him Im actually worried they will be a bottom 7 team. I mean they are a hobbled Parsons and an ancient DDirk rn. That is all they have.

--   Justin Anderson   
5   J.J. Barea     
2   Raymond Felton   
20   Devin Harris   
55   Bernard James
24   Richard Jefferson
41   Dirk Nowitzki
25   Chandler Parsons
8   Dwight Powell       
--   Satnam Singh Bhamara   
4   Greg Smith
1   Amar'e Stoudemire       
3   Charlie Villanueva

The Dallas Mavericks Roster as of this writing. If they struck out completely on Free Agency, it's not a stretch to say that they can be one of the bottom 7 teams next season. With Carlisle still on the helm and with Dirk presumably playing for his last season, it'll be interesting too see how FA will unfold for them.

« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2015, 12:57:27 AM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 386

--   Justin Anderson   
5   J.J. Barea     
2   Raymond Felton   
20   Devin Harris   
55   Bernard James
24   Richard Jefferson
41   Dirk Nowitzki
25   Chandler Parsons
8   Dwight Powell       
--   Satnam Singh Bhamara   
4   Greg Smith
1   Amar'e Stoudemire       
3   Charlie Villanueva

The Dallas Mavericks Roster as of this writing. If they struck out completely on Free Agency, it's not a stretch to say that they can be one of the bottom 7 teams next season. With Carlisle still on the helm and with Dirk presumably playing for his last season, it'll be interesting too see how FA will unfold for them.

Yeah if they don't replace Chandler or Ellis they'll be picking in the top 7....

« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2015, 01:01:54 AM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
Wes Matthews signing with Dallas could be fantastic. If DJ goes back  to LA then a Wes-Parsons-Dirk core could be just good enough to lead them out of the bottom 7.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2015, 09:47:04 AM »

Offline hodgy03038

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 440
  • Marcus Smart #1 Fan
Wes Matthews signing with Dallas could be fantastic. If DJ goes back  to LA then a Wes-Parsons-Dirk core could be just good enough to lead them out of the bottom 7.

Did you watch Dirk last year? I really think he is done.

« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2015, 09:55:47 AM »

Offline Hemingway

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 123
If Dallas does strike out in FA we should look to make a deal with them like their pick back plus something else for Parsons. If they are going to suck, why not suck more and get a better pick? Also, its hard to tank out if you could wind up 8th and have no pick.

« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2015, 03:21:17 PM »

Offline boscel33

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 166
"There's sharks and minnows in this world. If you don't know which you are, you ain't a shark."

« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2015, 03:59:06 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
Maybe there's hope for the Minny pick: 

http://www.sbnation.com/nba/2015/7/31/9078785/timberwolves-playoffs-ricky-rubio-andrew-wiggins

There definitely is hope. They have veterans KG, Martin, Pek, and newly signed Miller to provide veteran leadership to Wiggins, Towns, Dieng, Rubio, and Lavine.

The Western conference playoff locks are:

San Antonio
Golden State
LAC
Houston
OKC
Memphis

Then you have the following teams battling for the last 2 spots:

New Orleans (probably the best of this group)
Utah
Phoenix
Sacramento
Minnesota
Dallas

The worst teams in the conference:

LAL
Denver
Portland