Author Topic: Nets and grizzlies recently talked joe johnson trade  (Read 1749 times)

Nets and grizzlies recently talked joe johnson trade
« on: June 29, 2015, 10:23:13 AM »

Offline crownontherocks

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 86
 ESPN sources say Nets and Grizzlies recently discussed a Joe Johnson-to-Memphis trade

Johnson for green?
« Last Edit: June 29, 2015, 10:56:33 AM by crownontherocks »

Re: Joe johnson to memphis?
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2015, 10:25:56 AM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
Great news, I think any deal for Johnson will have the Nets unloading major salary and not getting back a great player. Anything that makes the Nets worse, is great for the C's.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2015, 10:26:35 AM »

Online BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
Discussed, past tense.

« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2015, 10:29:23 AM »

Offline krumeto

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 72
They will need a 3rd team. That is some 10+K salary disparity.
"We do so many defensive drills in practice, I come home and I'm putting the press on my woman, denying her the ball.
Y'all are laughing, but it's sad. I go home and deny the wing."

« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2015, 10:40:19 AM »

Offline MJohnnyboy

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 269
Green/Lee/Barnes/Udrih for Johnson works on trade machine. Not sure if Grizzlies would do that. I think it's more likely that Grizzlies push more for Danillo Galinari.

« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2015, 10:42:23 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Grizzlies obviously not content with the perimeter shooting / shot creation on their roster.  Going after JJ signals a certain degree of desperation.  Could be a solid fit there, though.

If the Nets can get a pu pu platter of role players for Joe Johnson, that would be bad news for the Celts, because all the Nets need to guarantee 35-40 wins is some competent depth and to re-sign Young and Lopez (which seems likely).
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2015, 10:59:26 AM »

Offline Maurice98

• Sam Hauser
  • Tommy Points: 36
Green/Lee/Barnes/Udrih for Johnson works on trade machine. Not sure if Grizzlies would do that. I think it's more likely that Grizzlies push more for Danillo Galinari.

OT: You made me realize something about the Warriors and Grizzlies.

Both of the teams have Green/Lee/Barnes on their team!!!! ;D

Re: Nets and grizzlies recently talked joe johnson trade
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2015, 11:03:49 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
I don't think Johnson is unmovable at all.  He is still a pretty good player, and yeah his contract is awful, but it expires next summer so it isn't a long term cap killer.  I mean I could totally see a team like the Lakers or Knicks after striking out in free agency wanting to add Johnson to help stay relevant for another season.  I mean Johnson, Bryant, and Russell is a pretty nice 3 wing lineup.  Johnson would play well with Anthony in NY as well.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2015, 11:05:08 AM »

Offline Robb

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 128
Would hope it accelerates Gasol out of Memphis and into the East.
We're the ones we've been waiting for.

« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2015, 11:09:04 AM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2402
I don't think JJ would be good for Memphis. Better off sticking with Jeff Green.

« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2015, 11:20:49 AM »

Offline TheTruthFot18

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 263
  • Truth Juice
The Grizz may not have won it all but they are one of the best at building a roster without overpaying (they learned from Rudy Gay and moved Mayo before he demanded big bucks).

They're doing fine. All you need is ZBO getting those ZBOunds.
The Nets will finish with the worst record and the Celtics will end up with the 4th pick.

- Me (sometime in January)

--------------------------------------------------------

Guess I was wrong (May 23rd)

« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2015, 11:23:29 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619

Barnes cannot have his salary aggregated for salary matching purposes for just under three months.  So such a trade could not occur until late September at the earliest.  Doesn't mean it can't happen,  but probably is an idea you kick around in August after free agency is done, and not now.

« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2015, 11:28:36 AM »

Offline Soytiz

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 15
How about we take Joe Johnson for Wallace, AB and Turner? Would the Nets bite? The deal gives us the flexibility to go after Durant next year and possibly re-sign Johnson for a bargain or much cheaper extension. I'm not sure how most would feel about losing Bradley and Turner to Brooklyn and how it would affect next year's draft but why not roll the dice on a trade that gives us a former All Star and at the same time unload superfluous players? I'm not saying we should but just speculating whether this could be a good move on our part.

By the way, the trade works:

http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=nbs6alr

« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2015, 11:34:47 AM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2663
  • bammokja
Grizzlies obviously not content with the perimeter shooting / shot creation on their roster.  Going after JJ signals a certain degree of desperation.  Could be a solid fit there, though.

If the Nets can get a pu pu platter of role players for Joe Johnson, that would be bad news for the Celts, because all the Nets need to guarantee 35-40 wins is some competent depth and to re-sign Young and Lopez (which seems likely).
i am not sure i see your concern here. if indeed the nets ship out johnson, one of their better players, and only receive a heapin' helpin' of crap in return, how does this improve their team?

further, i dont know how the nets can ship out that much salary and NOT take some salary back. given that they nets are already in salary cap hell, i am not convinced this deal provides them with better talent, provides them with salary relief, or provides them with both.

i would be happy to learn more though since i am not that well acquainted with the nets situation.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2015, 11:46:32 AM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
Anyone else like to believe it was a prank call?
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.