Author Topic: Trade ideas for Jonas Valanciunas  (Read 950 times)

Trade ideas for Jonas Valanciunas
« on: June 29, 2015, 08:49:38 AM »

Offline krumeto

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 72
Admittedly I am not the expert on contracts and Val is at the end of his rookie one, so take the idea with grain of salt.

There was a rumor Masai considers breaking up Toronto's core for lack of upside. Casey is on the record telling people the days of traditional big men in the league are over. Could we sneak in an trade for Jonas Valanciunas?

Last year of his rookie contract, so they have a decision to make if they want to extend him or not.

Zeller+KO+1st rounder in 2016 for J. V.?

The guy has not pan out as the Raptors wished, but is still a valuable big man. Allowed the same % at the rim as Duncan, Whiteside and Cousins.
http://stats.nba.com/tracking/#!/player/defense/?sort=FGP_DEFEND_RIM&dir=-1&CF=MIN*G*19&Season=2014-15&SeasonType=Regular%20Season
Terrific defensive rebounder. Not a bad post presence. Still 23 years old.

Does it make sense? Why not?
"We do so many defensive drills in practice, I come home and I'm putting the press on my woman, denying her the ball.
Y'all are laughing, but it's sad. I go home and deny the wing."

Re: Trade ideas for Jonas Valanciunas
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2015, 09:01:21 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
Valuncuinas is not enough of an upgrade over Zeller to warrant the package you've proposed.  He does some things better to be sure, but other things worse.  Definitely not the threat Zeller is with the mid-range jumper, for instance.

Especially since there's only one year left on his rookie deal, and extensions will be very difficult to negotiate this summer due to cap craziness next summer, this could very well be for a player who spends a single year in Boston.  If you took Olynyk out of the deal, and depending upon the protections on the 1st, it's more reasonable.

« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2015, 09:02:56 AM »

Offline MrMorrill

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 9
Jonas Valanciunas sat on the bench quite a bit last year. He may not be "on the block" but if a decent offer comes up I doubt Raps wouldn't listen.

Would you put JV over Hibbert? Seeing as both teams are leaning away from the two of them...

« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2015, 09:07:49 AM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
I would be extremely happy if we got JV here at a reasonable price and whatnot. He is a far better player than T Zeller or KO.

« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2015, 09:17:23 AM »

Offline Denis998

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 388
  • Rutgers '17
Really is not very talented, the only thing he does well is look mean on the court. Rather have Asik

« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2015, 09:31:17 AM »

Offline krumeto

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 72
Really is not very talented, the only thing he does well is look mean on the court. Rather have Asik
I don't know about not talented, Denis.

We are looking for a rim-protecting rebounding center.

Jonas allows the same % at the rim as a lot of established names and better than for example DeAndre.

Then I look at defensive rebounding and he is leaps and bounds better than everybody on the roster and on par with the NBA best. So far, so good.

On top of that comes some scoring, 12 PPG on 62% TS last year.

And he is 23 years old. Looks pretty talented to me with a lot of room to grow.
"We do so many defensive drills in practice, I come home and I'm putting the press on my woman, denying her the ball.
Y'all are laughing, but it's sad. I go home and deny the wing."