Author Topic: Trade unprotected Nets 1st for Joel Embiid? (looking back at 2015 idea)  (Read 5923 times)

Offline jayk009

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 29
I know that he is injured and his health is uncertain in the future but I think he's someone we should consider acquiring.

Right now his value is at an all time low and with Okafor and Noel on the team the 76ers right now are at a point where they feel like he is expendable.

The potential of the Nets pick is historically the type of asset that the 76ers are coveting.

I know that the Nets pick could end up being a top 3 pick in the draft and we would regret it if that was the case however I think we need to gamble and go for a trade like this. The closer and closer it actually gets to the draft IMO the draft pick will lose it's value.

The East is ridiculously weak and we just never know who can make the playoffs. I'm betting the Nets do not want the embarrassment of giving up a high lottery pick and will do everything in their power to make the playoffs and I bet the pick ends up being closer to the 10-15 range rather then the 1-5 range that Celtics fans are dreaming about.

Joel Embiid could end up being the next Greg Oden but at the same time he could end up being a franchise big man. If we want to have any hope of being elite in 2-3 years we absolutely need to consider these kind of gamble trades. There is no other elite big men prospect like this that we would ever have the chance of acquiring and I think this trade is absolutely something that we should consider.

What are your thoughts?

« Last Edit: January 28, 2017, 01:26:38 PM by Redz »

Re: Trade unprotected Nets 1st for Joel Embiid?
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2015, 12:52:48 AM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
No chance.  Sorry man.

Embiid is a generational talent.   Probably the best prospect to come out in the last two drafts.  He still hasn't been ruled out of the upcoming season.   You don't trade a guy like that for what will likely be a 12-17 pick. 

No chance.   We couldn't even get Embiid if we gave up Smart and every single one of our rookies this year, imo.

Sixers would be better off never seeing Embiid play a game than giving him up for the next Jerry Hozier.

« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2015, 12:57:35 AM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Also I know I'm in the minority, but I don't believe Embiid's trade value is at an all-time low.  The 76ers drafted him #3 when he couldn't even walk.   He's been in basketball shape for a few months now... no pain... going full speed.   He could play basketball tomorrow.   Question is whether being 95% could put him at a risk of re-injury.  If he's still not 100%, he might just need more time (there's still 4 months until the season starts).   They are claiming they aren't ruling out surgery... we don't really know what's going on there, though.  Hinke likes to play games.

« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2015, 02:41:51 AM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
Embiid is a generational talent.   Probably the best prospect to come out in the last two drafts.  He still hasn't been ruled out of the upcoming season.   You don't trade a guy like that for what will likely be a 12-17 pick. 

Strongly disagree on both Embiif being a generational talent, and on the Brooklyn pick likely being 12-17.

We just finished with the 7th seed in the east and got pick #16.  There is no way Brooklyn finishes 17th after another year of decline from Deron and JJ, and no certain on whether Lopez and Young will even return.   All the other bad teams have assets to improve this year.  Brooklyn do not - the only way they can possibly go is down, and they missed the playoffs last year.

I predict a bottom 6 finish by the Nets, and i predict Embiid (assuming healthy) averages 14/10 at best (more likely 12/9) and that he doesn't become nearly as good as people think..even if he can stay healthy which doesn't look likely given his history. 

« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2015, 04:06:15 AM »

Offline Rida

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 86
I know that he is injured and his health is uncertain in the future but I think he's someone we should consider acquiring.

Right now his value is at an all time low and with Okafor and Noel on the team the 76ers right now are at a point where they feel like he is expendable.

The potential of the Nets pick is historically the type of asset that the 76ers are coveting.

I know that the Nets pick could end up being a top 3 pick in the draft and we would regret it if that was the case however I think we need to gamble and go for a trade like this. The closer and closer it actually gets to the draft IMO the draft pick will lose it's value.

The East is ridiculously weak and we just never know who can make the playoffs. I'm betting the Nets do not want the embarrassment of giving up a high lottery pick and will do everything in their power to make the playoffs and I bet the pick ends up being closer to the 10-15 range rather then the 1-5 range that Celtics fans are dreaming about.

Joel Embiid could end up being the next Greg Oden but at the same time he could end up being a franchise big man. If we want to have any hope of being elite in 2-3 years we absolutely need to consider these kind of gamble trades. There is no other elite big men prospect like this that we would ever have the chance of acquiring and I think this trade is absolutely something that we should consider.

What are your thoughts?

Two main points preclude us from making this pick right now.

You don't have an update on the medical report for Embiid, if he misses the whole of next season no way you make this trade.

Secondly you have to see what happens to the Nets in Free agency, if they lose Lopez and/or young they are going to be seriously crappy especially as they just gave up on Plumlee.

I don't think I would trade that pic for Embiid.

The East is about to get a lot better last year the Nets were 38-44 and ended up with the 8 seed.

This year Miami, Indiana Charlotte and Detroit will be better than them regardless of their FA situation and have a better record than them.

Orlando could easily be better than them too, in the West Utah OKC will leapfrog them easily.

That pick could easily end up being top 5

« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2015, 06:22:43 AM »

Online tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549

Strongly disagree on both Embiif being a generational talent, and on the Brooklyn pick likely being 12-17.

We just finished with the 7th seed in the east and got pick #16.  There is no way Brooklyn finishes 17th after another year of decline from Deron and JJ, and no certain on whether Lopez and Young will even return.   All the other bad teams have assets to improve this year.  Brooklyn do not - the only way they can possibly go is down, and they missed the playoffs last year.

I predict a bottom 6 finish by the Nets, and i predict Embiid (assuming healthy) averages 14/10 at best (more likely 12/9) and that he doesn't become nearly as good as people think..even if he can stay healthy which doesn't look likely given his history.
Brooklyn actually made the playoffs last season as the 8th seed.  Right now, it looks like Young and Lopez will resign with them.  If that happens, I'd expect them to just miss or just make the playoffs so the pick would be 10th - 12th or 15th (13th and 14th will be West teams).   

« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2015, 06:27:31 AM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
Embiid's value is absolutely the lowest it's ever been.  How could it not be?  He hasn't played a second of NBA basketball, he has shown that he is having difficulty with the healing process, he has demonstrated a poor work ethic at times.  And now the Sixers have Okafor, which would make moving Embiid a lot less of a risk.
But they still would not trade him for an unspecified draft pick.

« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2015, 08:32:57 AM »

Offline dreamgreen

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
That would be a ballsy move on both teams part IMO.

« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2015, 08:44:07 AM »

Offline acieEarl

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 47
I'd only trade the Dallas pick and that's after they sign Jordan. Not sure if Embiid will ever be healthy.

« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2015, 08:50:55 AM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
There is no way the Sixers trade us Embiid for the Nets 2016 pick. If you throw in Smart along with that pick, then you have a chance.

« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2015, 09:37:47 AM »

Offline merkins

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 15
Bad idea because if Embiid has a good  chance of recovery, Philly won't deal him.  I'd be suspect if they said yes as they'd have essentially given up on him, and they have a lot more Intel on his health and mental make-up than we do.  If he's Oden in a few years then we will still lose the trade.

« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2017, 05:10:35 AM »

Offline jayk009

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 29
Was reading this and it's very interesting..some replies where people were very right on some points, and very wrong on other points..including my own.

I wish we did this trade though....

« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2017, 07:25:17 AM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1342
  • Head Paperboy at Greenville
No chance in hell Philly accepts this. No one would in their place.

« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2017, 07:26:33 AM »

Offline adam8

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 54
No chance in hell Philly accepts this. No one would in their place.
When I saw the OP bumped this thread I wondered who would be the first to jump in here without reading, it's a thread from 2015

« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2017, 07:27:18 AM »

Offline LGC88

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 167
Now you are going to dig 2 years old philly posts, in case the new ones daily aren't enough?