Author Topic: Celtics/Sixers trade idea (based upon logjams at guard and center)  (Read 2146 times)

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
I really don't think the pairing of Noel and Okafor will work for Philly as both guys play the same position.

Ditto for the Celts as we have too many guards.

I feel like the Celts and Sixers are perfect trade partners.

My first option at center would still be Boogie. But if we can't get him, count me in on the Noel bandwagon.

I think the Sixers might agree to this if Ainge offered it.

Smart, Bradley, Turner, Sully and two future picks for Noel and Embiid.

It works for both teams as each roster becomes more balanced.

Then we could go after Harris and a free agent SG and PF to replace Bradley and Sully.

Philly would have

Smart
Bradley
Turner
Sully
Okafor

Celts would have

Rozier/Isaiah
Free agent replacement for Bradley/RJ Hunter
Harris/Crowder
Free agent PF/Olynyk/Mickey
Noel/Zeller

Of course Embiid is a huge wildcard, but we take the risk and if he ever becomes healthy, it helps us out huge.

Maybe he's milking his injuries because he doesn't want to play for Philly.

Re: Celtics/Sixers trade idea (based upon logjams at guard and center)
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2015, 10:40:29 PM »

Online hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2704
We would be very lucky if we get them to trade one of those centers, but there is no way they trade two of them to us. It's not happening.

They are also the team that ditched Turner to Indy, they are not taking him back.

« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2015, 10:41:22 PM »

Offline Denis998

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 388
  • Rutgers '17
Trade Smart + Sully + future first for one of the 3 and call it a day.

« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2015, 10:44:45 PM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 976
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
Trade Smart + Sully + future first for one of the 3 and call it a day.
Noel may be more available but I am not giving up both Smart and Sully.

Smart + 2016 first for Noel.

« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2015, 10:53:51 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
First, I think that the redundancy is Okafor and Embiid.  They have similar back to the basket styles.  Noel is a different body type.  I think that, assuming Embiid is able to play, they will then move Okafor, since Embiid has more upside.  I also think they will try their best to trade him to the west. The last place they want a former player to end up is with the Celtics, and Atlantic rival. When have the Sixers and Celts made a big trade together??

« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2015, 10:59:35 PM »

Offline Denis998

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 388
  • Rutgers '17
First, I think that the redundancy is Okafor and Embiid.  They have similar back to the basket styles.  Noel is a different body type.  I think that, assuming Embiid is able to play, they will then move Okafor, since Embiid has more upside.  I also think they will try their best to trade him to the west. The last place they want a former player to end up is with the Celtics, and Atlantic rival. When have the Sixers and Celts made a big trade together??
how much of an impact does a trade like that have on division rivals? They only have to play each other 1 more game as opposed to other teams.

« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2015, 11:00:37 PM »

Offline Jonny CC

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 76
I'm not greedy...I would take any 1 of Noel, Embiid, or Okafor but the price in return would differ for each.
Before a game on Christmas against the Pacers, Bird told Chuck Person that he had a present for him. During the game, Bird shot a 3-pointer in front of Person. Immediately after releasing the ball, Bird said to Person, "Merry F!#*ing Christmas!" and then the shot went in.

« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2015, 11:04:07 PM »

Online hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
I'm not greedy...I would take any 1 of Noel, Embiid, or Okafor but the price in return would differ for each.

Yeah, I think the price for Noel is going to be the lowest of the three, and for Embiid the highest.

« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2015, 11:06:35 PM »

Offline tmcdon

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 4
Philly and Boston do make great trading partners because of the redundancy in talent, however,

1) Despite media rumors, Danny Ainge is not actively shopping Marcus Smart. 
2) Sullinger is better than Noel at this stage, Bradley and Smart are both high quality back court defenders (Smart already so as merely a rookie, and one that we are far from seeing his best yet).  I believe your deal severely over pays for Embiid (who's health is far from certain at this stage). 

I believe a deal can be reached for one of Philly's big guys, but it would seem Noel is the only one they are willing to part with at the moment.  Any deal that includes Smart and multiple draft picks is far too rich at this point.  I am disturbed by the fact Boston fans are so willing and eager to part with a player who so clearly has:

A) such a strong work ethic to go with his obvious talent
B) an excellent attitude as a team mate when it comes to accepting his role and providing on-court leadership
C) is by all accounts to the discernible eye and audible accounts from insiders developing into a transcendent defensive player and cornerstone player

Would it be great to pry away one of Philly's promising three big men (although from what I see of Embiid he is not the type of player I personally would like to see in a Celtics uniform)? Sure.  At the price you are suggesting? No. 

« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2015, 11:10:56 PM »

Online hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
Philly and Boston do make great trading partners because of the redundancy in talent, however,

2) Sullinger is better than Noel at this stage, Bradley and Smart are both high quality back court defenders (Smart already so as merely a rookie, and one that we are far from seeing his best yet).  I believe your deal severely over pays for Embiid (who's health is far from certain at this stage). 

I believe a deal can be reached for one of Philly's big guys, but it would seem Noel is the only one they are willing to part with at the moment.  Any deal that includes Smart and multiple draft picks is far too rich at this point.  I am disturbed by the fact Boston fans are so willing and eager to part with a player who so clearly has:

B) an excellent attitude as a team mate when it comes to accepting his role and providing on-court leadership
C) is by all accounts to the discernible eye and audible accounts from insiders developing into a transcendent defensive player and cornerstone player

Would it be great to pry away one of Philly's promising three big men (although from what I see of Embiid he is not the type of player I personally would like to see in a Celtics uniform)? Sure.  At the price you are suggesting? No.

What have you seen of Embiid? Because, well , no one else has seen anything yet besides his Twitter skills

« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2015, 11:11:54 PM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875

I'm not sure about that Out of those three guys, Embiid is really the only one who has a working jump shot right now.  Both Noel and Okafor have zero offense outside the paint.

So that makes me thing that it's Okafor and Noel who are the redundant pair. Both guys really are pure centers, while Embiid (if he's ever healthy) probably has the mobility and the outside range to move over and play PF (Tim Duncan style) if he really had to. 

Neither Noel nor Okafor can play the PF spot however - Noel is too lacking in range, and Okafor lacks the foot speed to defend NBA Power Forwards.

Out of the two guys to pair with Embiid, I'd say Okafor is the better fit.  Noel is an elite defensive player, but Embiid also should be just as good defensively as Noel is.  Offense however is the big question mark with Embiid - will he ever be more than a 12 - 14 PPG scorer in the NBA? Not much question about that with Okafor - he should be an excellent scorer from day one.  Okafor is also a skilled passer, which neither Embiid nor Noel really are.

If I'm Philly I would take a chance on the Embiid / Okafor front court (which has the potential to be a better version of Memphis' Gasol/Randolph front court) and then try to trade Noel out in return for a talented young guard.

BUT I wouldn't do anything until I have seen Embiid and Okafor play at least 10-15 games and prove that they can compete at an NBA level.  Until then it's just too much of a gamble trading out the only guy who has proven anything, and putting your team's future into two guys who have yet to play a game.

« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2015, 11:14:46 PM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
What have you seen of Embiid? Because, well , no one else has seen anything yet besides his Twitter skills

We've seen his college play.

While college strengths often don't translate into NBA strengths, college weaknesses almost always do translate into NBA weaknesses.  The NBA is just a much more physical and more competitive league.

So if we've seen things from Embiid in College that concern us, then chances are those concerns will translate to the NBA just as much (if not more).

Things like attitude, Basketball IQ, medical history (etc) don't often change once a player comes to the NBA.

« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2015, 11:23:14 PM »

Offline oldutican

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 12

Bravo!!!!!

« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2015, 11:26:12 PM »

Offline Smitty77

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 269

This might not have been a BIG trade, but it was substantial in 1997:

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/1997-06-21/sports/9706210135_1_radja-and-cage-dino-radja-marijuana-charge

We traded Dino Radja to Philly for Clarence Weatherspoon and Michael Cage.

Radja averaged 14 points and over 8 rebounds for us and although Clarence only averaged 12.2 points that year, he averaged 16.2 points and 8.4 rebounds for his career to that point.

That was ONLY 18 years ago:-)))

Free history lesson for you youngsters:-))

Smitty77

« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2015, 11:29:55 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
More realistically maybe we can trade them hozier for Henry sims.