Author Topic: Idea: AB to Cleveland, Heywood's contract to third team  (Read 5457 times)

Re: Idea: AB to Cleveland, Heywood's contract to third team
« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2015, 10:26:20 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
It's an interesting idea.

I definitely feel like moving Bradley and Turner is one of the big goals of the off-season after the Celtics selected 2 guards in the 1st round and another 1st round pick from last year is going to be fighting for playing time, too.

I think the big goal here is to move Turner and Wallace with the assumption that we have good use for that cap space.

If we are moving AB it's to upgrade talent, get actual value.

That's why at the draft, Ainge should've packaged the 16th pick with Wallace's salary and unloaded him to Philly.

I think Philly would've done that as they would've gotten a guard they desperately needed in Rozier (or maybe they would've drafted another guard with the 16th pick, but you get the point.)

With the Celtics' stash of picks, it would be stupid to make that deal to clear cap space before it is needed.  It would be a horrible waste of an asset to make that deal then have the extra cap space go unused.

Indeed. Don't know how many times it has to be repeated here. Trading away Wallace for the sake of trading him it's not in our best interests.

« Reply #16 on: June 28, 2015, 10:27:13 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
It's an interesting idea.

I definitely feel like moving Bradley and Turner is one of the big goals of the off-season after the Celtics selected 2 guards in the 1st round and another 1st round pick from last year is going to be fighting for playing time, too.

I think the big goal here is to move Turner and Wallace with the assumption that we have good use for that cap space.

That's why at the draft, Ainge should've packaged the 16th pick with Wallace's salary and unloaded him to Philly.

I think Philly would've done that as they would've gotten a guard they desperately needed in Rozier (or maybe they would've drafted another guard with the 16th pick, but you get the point.)

With the Celtics' stash of picks, it would be stupid to make that deal to clear cap space before it is needed.  It would be a horrible waste of an asset to make that deal then have the extra cap space go unused.

Then maybe like others mentioned, if we get Harris, we can do a sign and trade deal with Orlando where we send them Wallace's contract along with a couple future picks.

« Reply #17 on: June 28, 2015, 10:47:54 PM »

Offline zubi.anaba

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 11
Bradley could come in and start immediately for the Cavs.  Give them Pressey also, since he is likely to be cut anyways and Cleveland wants a backup PG.

Cleveland gives up a future first and the draft rights to Russian center Sasha Kaun, Turkish forward Ilkan Karaman, and maybe their 2015 picks, Rakeem Christmas and draft-and-stash candidate Cedi Osman.  Those assets get split up between the Celtics and the third team.

Heywood's contract goes to a third team that wants to dump salary.  That third team sends stuff to the Celtics.  What stuff?  Depends on who the third team is.  If it's good, the Celtics may throw additional assets into the deal.  The purpose of this thread is to get people to come up with ideas of who would make a good third team.

And while the Celtics could take on some of these contracts using cap space, the Celtics may be interested in turning Bradley into a non-guard while preserving cap space to go after free agents.

Maybe Chicago wants to dump Taj Gibson but would prefer the rights to Christmas and the other Marcus Thornton instead of taking on Bradley's contract because they want to minimize luxury tax after signing Jimmy Bradley.

Maybe Denver goes into full blow-it-up mode and gives up Gallinari, in which case the Celtics will probably have to throw in at least one future first.

Houston could offer up Trevor Ariza and either Terrence Jones or D-Mo if they need space to sign a major free agent.

The same goes for the Spurs trying to move Splitter for the same reason.

Why would the Cavs want Bradley? They are already set at the SG with Jr and SHump! Griffin said the will be extending an offer to SHump. Jr is a question mark but they have stated they want him back at the right price. I see no team in the NBA in a hurry to pay Jr big money so I doubt he leaves.

Maybe if Jr leaves you might have a point. But would imagine Cavs love Jrs 3pt shooting ability and really want to keep him or would look for a dead eye 3pt shooter if he left. Bradley's 3 ball just isnt that great (at least not compared to JR) but yeah I guess if Jr leaves there is a chance

« Reply #18 on: June 29, 2015, 10:05:38 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
Bradley could come in and start immediately for the Cavs.  Give them Pressey also, since he is likely to be cut anyways and Cleveland wants a backup PG.

Cleveland gives up a future first and the draft rights to Russian center Sasha Kaun, Turkish forward Ilkan Karaman, and maybe their 2015 picks, Rakeem Christmas and draft-and-stash candidate Cedi Osman.  Those assets get split up between the Celtics and the third team.

Heywood's contract goes to a third team that wants to dump salary.  That third team sends stuff to the Celtics.  What stuff?  Depends on who the third team is.  If it's good, the Celtics may throw additional assets into the deal.  The purpose of this thread is to get people to come up with ideas of who would make a good third team.

And while the Celtics could take on some of these contracts using cap space, the Celtics may be interested in turning Bradley into a non-guard while preserving cap space to go after free agents.

Maybe Chicago wants to dump Taj Gibson but would prefer the rights to Christmas and the other Marcus Thornton instead of taking on Bradley's contract because they want to minimize luxury tax after signing Jimmy Bradley.

Maybe Denver goes into full blow-it-up mode and gives up Gallinari, in which case the Celtics will probably have to throw in at least one future first.

Houston could offer up Trevor Ariza and either Terrence Jones or D-Mo if they need space to sign a major free agent.

The same goes for the Spurs trying to move Splitter for the same reason.

Why would the Cavs want Bradley? They are already set at the SG with Jr and SHump! Griffin said the will be extending an offer to SHump. Jr is a question mark but they have stated they want him back at the right price. I see no team in the NBA in a hurry to pay Jr big money so I doubt he leaves.

Maybe if Jr leaves you might have a point. But would imagine Cavs love Jrs 3pt shooting ability and really want to keep him or would look for a dead eye 3pt shooter if he left. Bradley's 3 ball just isnt that great (at least not compared to JR) but yeah I guess if Jr leaves there is a chance
I think Bradley is the exact type of player the Cavs would be looking for.  A guy who is a tenacious defender with an ok shot and who can create some off the dribble.  He could also reasonably play PG with that team in addition to back-up SG.  He is the perfect player coming off the Cavs bench to provide some great defense and average yet versatile offense.  He also has a fairly reasonable contract, which is something the Cavs definitely need.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #19 on: June 29, 2015, 10:13:47 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I wonder if AB will be used for a sign and trade for Love or Thompson.  That ends our logjam at guard but we would have to throw in some pieces to make it match.   I am not crazy about either, Love is a bad defender and Thompson good year could be a  flash in the pan.

« Reply #20 on: June 29, 2015, 10:18:25 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182

I'd certainly want to get value for Bradley.  Wouldn't just dump him.

But he and Turner have peaked, I think, and I'd like the team to move them and create room for some of the younger players to get more time (i.e. Crowder, Young, Smart, Rozier, Hunter).

If the team can't add any major pieces this off-season, I'd like to head into next season with Rozier, Young, and Hunter as the first guards / wings off the bench and Smart and Thomas starting in the backcourt.  Find out what we have.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #21 on: June 29, 2015, 10:19:46 AM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
I feel like if we are trading Bradley who is still young, it will be for another young player at a position of need, or an established player better than Bradley.

Dumping him for Haywood's contract to create more cap space doesn't make sense. We probably won't even be able to get meetings with the top free agents, clearing more cap space so we can be spurned by more free agents isn't helpful. You simply don't trade Bradley's deal in a salary dump unless you know what you are dumping it for.

I love the Terrence Jones idea. If Pat Beverly gets a big offer that they don't want to match Bradley would be a great starter next to Harden, since he can defend and doesn't need (or want) the ball in his hands.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #22 on: June 29, 2015, 10:30:56 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182

I love the Terrence Jones idea. If Pat Beverly gets a big offer that they don't want to match Bradley would be a great starter next to Harden, since he can defend and doesn't need (or want) the ball in his hands.

I love Beverley, but I rather doubt he'll get paid more than Bradley already costs.  I too really like Terrence Jones.  I think he's got a better chance of being an above average starter than either Sullinger or Olynyk.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #23 on: June 29, 2015, 11:46:14 AM »

Offline Irish Stew

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 56
I think that John Henson might be a guy that could be targeted if we move Bradley and don't need the cap space.      To Celtics: Henson and we take Mayo off their hands for his final contract year.    To Bucks: Haywood, Euro(s), Christmas, and future Cleveland 1st.    To Cleveland: Bradley   Milwaukee gets cap relief and rim defender prospect Christmas, Cleveland gets a guy that plays good defense and shoots the 3 well, we get rim defender and expiring Mayo contract.       

« Reply #24 on: June 29, 2015, 01:18:08 PM »

Offline spikelovetheCelts

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 113
  • Peace it's a board. We all will never agree.
I think that John Henson might be a guy that could be targeted if we move Bradley and don't need the cap space.      To Celtics: Henson and we take Mayo off their hands for his final contract year.    To Bucks: Haywood, Euro(s), Christmas, and future Cleveland 1st.    To Cleveland: Bradley   Milwaukee gets cap relief and rim defender prospect Christmas, Cleveland gets a guy that plays good defense and shoots the 3 well, we get rim defender and expiring Mayo contract.       
This makes the most sense for this Scenario.
"People look at players, watch them dribble between their legs and they say, 'There's a superstar.'  Well John Havlicek is a superstar, and most of the others are figments of writers' imagination."
--Jerry West, on John Havlicek

« Reply #25 on: June 29, 2015, 01:49:42 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
This makes the most sense for this Scenario.
The Cavs aren't giving all that up for Bradley.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #26 on: June 29, 2015, 01:59:51 PM »

Offline zubi.anaba

• Brad Stevens

With Sanders retired/having mental issues, Henson is currently Bucks only legit rim protector. He is also young,a 7 footer with ridiculous wingspan, fairly athletic and on a cheap contract. Why would they just give him away for trash.

« Reply #27 on: June 29, 2015, 02:10:27 PM »

Offline heyvik

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 75

With Sanders retired/having mental issues, Henson is currently Bucks only legit rim protector. He is also young,a 7 footer with ridiculous wingspan, fairly athletic and on a cheap contract. Why would they just give him away for trash.

The only way this could work is if they sign Brook Lopez as an FA

« Reply #28 on: June 29, 2015, 02:15:54 PM »

Offline zubi.anaba

• Brad Stevens

The only way this could work is if they sign Brook Lopez as an FA

But wouldnt Kidd want to play them together in stretches. Henson came of the bench last yr so wouldnt be an issue this year. When they play together, it can work cuz Brook has good enough offensive game to play from the outside while Henson can cover him on defense. Now they obviously wont play together all game but it is totally plausible in stetches. Seems to me that they are and infinitely better team if the keep both (which they can easily do)

« Reply #29 on: June 29, 2015, 06:19:38 PM »

Offline Irish Stew

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 56

Most of my thinking was based on a piece I read and the idea that they now have Miles Plumlee, would be getting Christmas, and this deal would give them about $10-11 million in cap relief. If they are interested in Jordan or Chandler, I'm not sure where Henson fits in. I guess we could always sweeten the deal with one of our endless collection of 1st round picks or even Olynyk as a back up stretch 4, though that would cut into the cap relief they would get by $2 or $3 million. http://www.brewhoop.com/2015/6/26/8851369/nba-free-agency-2015-bucks-among-four-teams-expected-to-pitch