Author Topic: Idea: AB to Cleveland, Heywood's contract to third team  (Read 5458 times)

Idea: AB to Cleveland, Heywood's contract to third team
« on: June 28, 2015, 01:47:12 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
Bradley could come in and start immediately for the Cavs.  Give them Pressey also, since he is likely to be cut anyways and Cleveland wants a backup PG.

Cleveland gives up a future first and the draft rights to Russian center Sasha Kaun, Turkish forward Ilkan Karaman, and maybe their 2015 picks, Rakeem Christmas and draft-and-stash candidate Cedi Osman.  Those assets get split up between the Celtics and the third team.

Heywood's contract goes to a third team that wants to dump salary.  That third team sends stuff to the Celtics.  What stuff?  Depends on who the third team is.  If it's good, the Celtics may throw additional assets into the deal.  The purpose of this thread is to get people to come up with ideas of who would make a good third team.

And while the Celtics could take on some of these contracts using cap space, the Celtics may be interested in turning Bradley into a non-guard while preserving cap space to go after free agents.

Maybe Chicago wants to dump Taj Gibson but would prefer the rights to Christmas and the other Marcus Thornton instead of taking on Bradley's contract because they want to minimize luxury tax after signing Jimmy Bradley.

Maybe Denver goes into full blow-it-up mode and gives up Gallinari, in which case the Celtics will probably have to throw in at least one future first.

Houston could offer up Trevor Ariza and either Terrence Jones or D-Mo if they need space to sign a major free agent.

The same goes for the Spurs trying to move Splitter for the same reason.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

Re: Idea: AB to Cleveland, Heywood's contract to third team
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2015, 02:20:15 PM »

Offline Endless Paradise

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 182
This is a well thought-out proposal.

« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2015, 09:44:02 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
I've thought about this as well and it makes perfect sense.

Not for nothing, it at least helps us free up 7 million in cap space by dumping Bradley.

« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2015, 09:55:29 PM »

Online DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
I hope we don't give Thomas to the Cavs for nothing ... I can't see the Celtics helping the Cavs and Lebron James win a championship

« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2015, 09:58:17 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
I hope we don't give Thomas to the Cavs for nothing ... I can't see the Celtics helping the Cavs and Lebron James win a championship

The proposal is trading Bradley, NOT Thomas.

Furthemore, I think we'd be helping ourselves a lot more than the Cavs which is the point.

By doing this, we are now up to 30 million in cap space and have more money we can offer guys like Monroe, Harris and a replacement for Bradley which shouldn't be hard.

« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2015, 10:00:29 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
It's an interesting idea.

I definitely feel like moving Bradley and Turner is one of the big goals of the off-season after the Celtics selected 2 guards in the 1st round and another 1st round pick from last year is going to be fighting for playing time, too.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2015, 10:04:05 PM »

Offline Denis998

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 388
  • Rutgers '17

« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2015, 10:07:45 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley

Not for nothing, it at least helps us free up 7 million in cap space by dumping Bradley.

It wouldn't be clearing cap space, since the Celtics would be getting contracted players from a third team that wants cap relief instead of Bradley.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2015, 10:10:33 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson

It wouldn't be clearing cap space, since the Celtics would be getting contracted players from a third team that wants cap relief instead of Bradley.

Well that's where I would edit your trade idea.

I would just send Bradley straight up to Cleveland for Haywood's non guaranteed deal and then just waive him.

We'd then have 30 million in cap space.

But I like your idea too of sending Haywood to Chicago for Gibson.

I really like Gibson and would bring a lot toughness to our team in the front court.

« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2015, 10:11:04 PM »

Online BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818

I definitely feel like moving Bradley and Turner is one of the big goals of the off-season after the Celtics selected 2 guards in the 1st round and another 1st round pick from last year is going to be fighting for playing time, too.

I think the big goal here is to move Turner and Wallace with the assumption that we have good use for that cap space.

If we are moving AB it's to upgrade talent, get actual value.

« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2015, 10:18:23 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley

I would just send Bradley straight up to Cleveland for Haywood's non guaranteed deal and then just waive him.

I really like Gibson and would bring a lot toughness to our team in the front court.

To manufacture cap space, I would rather send out a future first with Wallace than trade Bradley for Brendan Haywood.

« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2015, 10:18:23 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson

I think the big goal here is to move Turner and Wallace with the assumption that we have good use for that cap space.

That's why at the draft, Ainge should've packaged the 16th pick with Wallace's salary and unloaded him to Philly.

I think Philly would've done that as they would've gotten a guard they desperately needed in Rozier (or maybe they would've drafted another guard with the 16th pick, but you get the point.)

« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2015, 10:19:40 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson

To manufacture cap space, I would rather send out a future first with Wallace than trade Bradley for Brendan Haywood.

See my response to Budweiser.

« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2015, 10:22:30 PM »

Offline Rick Robeys Return

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 35
  • The bringer of DJ
Interesting idea. The challenge in thinking it through is that the Cs now have a roster crunch. Both this season, and it will get much worse next year when they have up to four first round picks and up to five second rounders <http://basketball.realgm.com/nba/draft/future_drafts/detailed>

So depending on the team's assessment of the draft and stash prospects (Kaun, Karaman, Osman...),the third team in this deal should be one which will allow the Cs to trade multiple assets for a singular, positional upgrade. Obviously also a team which is looking to clear cap space...

« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2015, 10:23:43 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley

That's why at the draft, Ainge should've packaged the 16th pick with Wallace's salary and unloaded him to Philly.

I think Philly would've done that as they would've gotten a guard they desperately needed in Rozier (or maybe they would've drafted another guard with the 16th pick, but you get the point.)

With the Celtics' stash of picks, it would be stupid to make that deal to clear cap space before it is needed.  It would be a horrible waste of an asset to make that deal then have the extra cap space go unused.