Author Topic: Sully news - working out at the John Lucas program  (Read 10359 times)

Re: Sully news - working out at the John Lucas program
« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2015, 11:36:10 AM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2663
  • bammokja
An article on Sully's progress (after the draft rankings):
http://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/2015/06/27/grading-how-teams-did-nba-draft/mNsphyoQ0bIsh26xkOWl9N/story.html

"Sullinger said he is working out in Houston with former NBA player and current workout coach and adviser John Lucas, and he has decided to make his own career decisions with less input from his father, Satch, who served as his AAU coach, and a guide throughout his early professional career"

From what I read, the program is highly valued. Blake Griffin, Kobe Bryant, LeBron James, Baron Davis among other former attendants. A lot of psychology next to the physical trainings.
http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/8757777/john-lucas-offers-gift-lifetime-college-basketball

An injury-free Sully would have been a top-5 pick in his draft. I hope he gets his head straight and I am sure the body work will follow.

I appreciate the article and info about Sully!!!  That being said, Washburn is an IDIOT!!  How in the heck can you possible rate Denver's draft, getting Mudiay at #7, a B+??  How in the heck can you rate Miami getting Winslow at #10 a B and OKC getting Payne at #14 a B-???????  I also think he downgraded the Celtics' picks based on us NOT being able to trade up!!!  That is patently unfair.  Getting Rozier was marginal.  I will give him that.  But getting Hunter at 28 was one of the steals of this draft and getting Jordan Mickey at #33 was a very solid pick that addresses one of our greatest weaknesses, shot blocking!!!

Smitty77
and the title of this thread is....?  ;D
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #16 on: June 28, 2015, 11:40:36 AM »

Offline danglertx

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 210
Big fan of Sully, hope this works out for him.

I think dumping him as many here want would be a huge mistake.
I think Danny's already made that decision based on both his comments about changing the roster and the various trade rumors that have circulated.  They're not adding anything in the backcourt so it looks like the promised changes are coming up front.   I'd be very surprised if Sully's still here opening night.

I read it just the opposite way.  We didn't make any moves in the frontcourt (except Mickey) so it looks like we are either set there or we will move a guard for a front court player since Bass and Jerebko look to be heading out. 

I think the draft almost forces two moves in the backcourt.  Pressey is pretty much gone I'd think and at least one of Turner, Bradley, IT, or Smart will probably be moved.  Maybe two, like Bradley and Turner and we go for the tank with a really young team.

« Reply #17 on: June 28, 2015, 11:43:46 AM »

Offline Kuberski33

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 538

I love Sully's skill set, but his personality and demeanor infuriate me. Even in this article he seems weirdly defiant. Talking about not letting his dad make decisions anymore and not being worried about his weight. It just all sounds like he's still resistant to OBVIOUS commentary about what needs to happen.

IDK. I hope I'm wrong, but he still sounds very immature to me.
Look at it this way. For a guy like Sully to succeed he needs to have a ferocious work ethic.  He's undersized for his position so he needs to make up for it with smarts, hustle and desire.  He's got the smarts because he knows how to play. But it's also become pretty obvious that he's not willing to do some of the other stuff and at this point if he hasn't made that commitment, its just not happening.

« Reply #18 on: June 28, 2015, 11:50:34 AM »

Offline Kuberski33

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 538

I think Danny's already made that decision based on both his comments about changing the roster and the various trade rumors that have circulated.  They're not adding anything in the backcourt so it looks like the promised changes are coming up front.   I'd be very surprised if Sully's still here opening night.

I read it just the opposite way.  We didn't make any moves in the frontcourt (except Mickey) so it looks like we are either set there or we will move a guard for a front court player since Bass and Jerebko look to be heading out. 

I think the draft almost forces two moves in the backcourt.  Pressey is pretty much gone I'd think and at least one of Turner, Bradley, IT, or Smart will probably be moved.  Maybe two, like Bradley and Turner and we go for the tank with a really young team.
I'll guarantee you the front court changes.  What they have there currently is probably, talent-wise, in the lower third of the league.  There's not enough size, athleticism, grit, toughness...etc.   To anyone who disagrees, I'd simply ask, did you watch the Cleveland series?

« Reply #19 on: June 28, 2015, 11:52:09 AM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818

I'll guarantee you the front court changes.  What they have there currently is probably, talent-wise, in the lower third of the league.  There's not enough size, athleticism, grit, toughness...etc.   To anyone who disagrees, I'd simply ask, did you watch the Cleveland series?

And if we use the Cleveland series as the evidence, then Olynyk is the one that needs to go.

But yeah, we need more size up there, not so much size, but players that can bang with the big guy guys in the league.

« Reply #20 on: June 28, 2015, 11:52:30 AM »

Offline Gainesville Celtic

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1331
  • Ainge *still* has a Posse! Ubuntu Y'all
This is good news. I fully expect Sully to come into camp in the best shape of his life. That being said, do you trust him to stay in shape if we give him a contract extension past this year?

Not sure, but personally to me it's irrelevant as I think the out-of-shape Sully is still a very useful player. I know most don't feel that way.

I'm with you Budweiser... always surprised to see how low an opinion folks have of Sullinger (and nearly flip my chips everytime I see someone list Olynyk in the starting lineup over him...smh)
GC's Yahoo! H2h League: Gainesville Celtics: 2014, 2016, 2017 Champs!

GC's Yahoo! H2h League permanent website (offseason roster, constitution, etc.) * Lucky was framed!

« Reply #21 on: June 28, 2015, 11:53:02 AM »

Offline hodgy03038

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 440
  • Marcus Smart #1 Fan
Unfortunately I did watch the Cleveland series in which Tristan Thompson got every rebound possible against anyone.

But...... Love thought that Kelly Olynk was pretty mean. LOL

« Reply #22 on: June 28, 2015, 12:21:15 PM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 448
I am happy to hear he is kind of going out on his own more and branching out.

I don't like this kind of armchair, fan psychology but I just feel like Sullinger needs to grow up some.  He is too reliant on his dad, he is still "Ohio State" everything, over being in the NBA and a Celtic, he won't eat right or really put in the work that could get him to the next level (he is very skilled).

I hope this is him doing it.  I have been pretty disapointed with him recently (his defense last year was laughable, and weight) so I'm ready for him to finally turn it around.
"I really don't want people to understand me." - Jordan Crawford

« Reply #23 on: June 28, 2015, 12:42:38 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
This is good news. I fully expect Sully to come into camp in the best shape of his life. That being said, do you trust him to stay in shape if we give him a contract extension past this year?

Not sure, but personally to me it's irrelevant as I think the out-of-shape Sully is still a very useful player. I know most don't feel that way.
The problem is, he seems to be less useful in the spread style the C's want to play. I think he is useful, but I'm not sure if he's as useful at $10-15 MM a year that he is sure to ask for in free agency next year.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #24 on: June 28, 2015, 01:02:02 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968
He seems to be figuring it out .

Maturing .

Understanding ..where he is and what he needs to do.

He needed to change his life style , hard to do when your a kid , and used to,eating and bad habits that most high school and college kids acquire '

I think he understand a life style change is key to his health and career as his rookie contract winds down, so starts his metabolism to inch down from here on out.

If he can hang out with the right people......a girlfriend who is gym rat or into health and active health nut about eating so forth .

Sully , KO and Smart will all three finally be healthy .   More mature ......should be interesting .

« Reply #25 on: June 28, 2015, 01:50:11 PM »

Offline M.A.

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 2
I'm very optimistic about sully. He was pretty decent at the NBA level while being really out of shape. It will be interesting to see how much getting in shape mentally and physically will help his game.

Just in time for him to become a free agent, of course.

« Reply #26 on: June 28, 2015, 01:58:43 PM »

Offline walker834

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 238
Step one...stop feeding your cake hole.

That's rude.  I'm happy for Sully that he's putting in work.  Moreso than a lot of people can say.

« Reply #27 on: July 05, 2015, 08:39:06 PM »

Offline jacigar

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 9
In 2008, I belonged to the Boston Sports ClubWaltham. Also home of the Celtics.I used to workout in the heated exercise pool. Bryan Doo (Celtics trainer) had Baby Davis and Perkins working out in the deep end of pool.Al Jefferson was running laps upstairs around complex. If Bryan Doo is working with Sullinger,Young and Olynk, I think you will start to see some major changes. If not , they will be gone.

« Reply #28 on: July 05, 2015, 09:08:18 PM »

Offline cltc5

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 445
Its not john Lucas it's jimmy johns

« Reply #29 on: July 05, 2015, 09:21:14 PM »

Offline The One

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 203
http://youtu.be/lzGIZn-dQ3k