Author Topic: CBS can calm down Rozier. Had most upside at 16  (Read 6804 times)

CBS can calm down Rozier. Had most upside at 16
« on: June 28, 2015, 01:29:33 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Physical tools
- 6'2 (any height 6'2 and over is a good height for PG)
- 6'8 wingspan (elite wingspan length for a pg 6'2)
- explosive first step and leaping ability
- Strength

Skills
- Good ball handler
- Good shooting mechanics. Shot  77-79 percent from the line
- Good on ball and off ball defender
- Good passer when he wants to be
- Crafty near the basket
- Excellent rebounder for a pg

Character
- high end motor
- tough mentality
- Fearless
- Good team mate
- Will sacrifice the body to make a play

Flaw
- mediocre feel for game. Does not look to make the right play all the time. Definitely score 1st mentality. But also consider that Louisville heavily depended on Rozier to score the ball and make things happen on offense
- At times went 3 against 1 .  Too fearless
- Played out of control at times.  Too quick on the court

So overall if you look at the pluses, you are looking at a blue chip pg.  He also showed what he was made of , carrying Louisville into the elite eight.  Louisville had only so so talents on the team last season (Harrell - 2nd round, Blackshear - undrafted).    Ainge understands the pluses and filtered out the flaws. Because he believes CBS can iron things out.  If Rozier can learn how to change speeds (maybe IT can help him with this),  play NBA D (getting tips from AB)  and how to play more in control and execute the right plays (CBS)  ,  he could end up a big steal.    Worse case you still get a useful player that can defend 2 positions, rebound the ball and drive into the lane at will. Get you 6-8 pts in a blink of an eye (like Aaron Brooks) and get the celts out of a scoring slump

In comparison. 

-How much better can Sam Dekker become? He is a good all around player but he won't be able to defend against guys like Leonard , Lebron and other athletic sfs.  He is a streaky shooter and has some issues finishing near the basket .  I'm not sure what more CBS can do to up his game.  Good player, likely good role player off the bench.  Starter in a team with 2 or 3 all starts in the starting lineup.

-Portis is a stretch 4 that lacks lift , wide base to be an above average rebounder.  Poor defensive rebounding stats in college.  He is quick and guard out to the perimeter, tough but is not a shot blocker and only mediocre finishing around the rim. Got his share of shots blocked.   Again what can CBS do to help to take Portis take his game to the next level?

-Anderson -  Shooting and D. Nice size for a SG/SF.  Not a good rebounder considering his physical tools.  Below average ball handler.  Explosive with momentum but not from standstill. Not skilled offensively , can't create his own shots and does not have good timing for rebounding nor stealing the ball

- RHJ - I would of been ok with RHJ here. I bet the Celtics tested the crap out of his shooting at the workout. And he prob didn't do that great.  Saw the LA Lakers workout with him missing quite of bit of jump shots.  Without a consistent jump shot (at least mid range)  , RHJ as a SF would not be very useful under CBS system.  Defensively would be a very good fit but offensively might be standing around .  Basically another Gerald Wallace on the court
« Last Edit: June 28, 2015, 01:39:33 AM by triboy16f »

Re: CBS can calm down Rozier. Had most upside at 16
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2015, 01:40:49 AM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
Before he plays a single minute, I like him a lot. Not sure if you've read about his home-life, but he appears to be a humble, good, hard-working kid.

But others need to go... and if we want to make a semi-significant move this year, it will have to include Smart. No one else headlining a "package" will get it done.
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2015, 01:41:44 AM »

Offline Sixth Man

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 82
Great post, Triboy. Rozier's deficits as a pro prospect are all things that can be remedied with good coaching.  There is no guarantee, of course, that Rozier will develop, but at least he possess all the physical attributes and tools to succeed. 

« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2015, 01:48:18 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
Before he plays a single minute, I like him a lot. Not sure if you've read about his home-life, but he appears to be a humble, good, hard-working kid.

But others need to go... and if we want to make a semi-significant move this year, it will have to include Smart. No one else headlining a "package" will get it done.

If AB was not in the picture, how would you feel about a Smart and Rozier backcourt?? I think that is a terrific young backcourt  duo.  A terror on the defensive end. 

Smart, Rozier, AB will kill each other for minutes imo. It's going to be a war , in a good way. Include IT also , though his role as the 6th man is pretty much in the bag.   Then add Hunter (a  skilled long distance shooting guard)  and Young (sg/sf with elite length, raw but skilled).  Hunter and Young will battle it out for mins as that guy that can shoot off the bench.

« Last Edit: June 28, 2015, 01:55:41 AM by triboy16f »

« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2015, 01:51:08 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
Great post, Triboy. Rozier's deficits as a pro prospect are all things that can be remedied with good coaching.  There is no guarantee, of course, that Rozier will develop, but at least he possess all the physical attributes and tools to succeed.

definitely.  If he doesn't get the whole picture eventually , it probably means his feel for game/IQ is only mediocre.  Still you get a longer wingspan, bigger Aaron Brooks worse case and I'm not going to cry about that.  Still can help the team or help the team via a trade

« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2015, 01:57:22 AM »

Offline colincb

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 501
See 30.05 at the podcast below done Thursday between Alex Kennedy (Basketball Insiders) and trainer Cody Toppert who was Rozier's trainer and trained a lot of guys in this draft and Marcus Smart and Jae Crowder in the past.

https://soundcloud.com/insiders-sports/nba-draft-preview-with-alex-kennedy-cody-toppert

« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2015, 01:57:47 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
I'm curious, If either Oubre or  anyone from 12-14 was available , If Danny would of chosen Rozier still.

I wonder

« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2015, 01:58:14 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
See 30.05 at the podcast below done Thursday between Alex Kennedy (Basketball Insiders) and trainer Cody Toppert who was Rozier's trainer and trained a lot of guys in this draft and Marcus Smart and Jae Crowder in the past.

https://soundcloud.com/insiders-sports/nba-draft-preview-with-alex-kennedy-cody-toppert

thanks man. Going to listen to it now

« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2015, 02:05:24 AM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson

If AB was not in the picture, how would you feel about a Smart and Rozier backcourt?? I think that is a terrific young backcourt  duo.  A terror on the defensive end. 

Smart, Rozier, AB will kill each other for minutes imo. It's going to be a war , in a good way. Include IT also , though his role as the 6th man is pretty much in the bag.   Then add Hunter (a  skilled long distance shooting guard)  and Young (sg/sf with elite length, raw but skilled).  Hunter and Young will battle it out for mins as that guy that can shoot off the bench.

My immediate thought is yes, I would love the combination. But I am biased towards defensive-minded players, especially guards, so need to keep that in check.

One of the two will need to slash, the other shoot. I'm guessing that if it were to work, it'd have to be Smart and Rozier in those roles, respectively. Expected the opposite of Smart this year - that he would be a slash-first, shoot-second PG. Aware of the ankle injury reports, never gave them much credence, and am concerned he lacks the first step to get to the rim. If he has it, though, I'm confident he can be that dude given his body to absorb contact, ability to finish when he's there, and passing instincts.

I hope it pans out, I really do. And despite my continued suggestion to shop Smart, he's my favorite player and understandably best prospect on the roster. Agree that a move is more likely to include Bradley, and while I like him and appreciate his growth (under-appreciated here, imo), I think it would make the most sense to part with him. I'd liken Rozier to him more than any one else on the roster, despite offensive differences. 
« Last Edit: June 28, 2015, 02:15:13 AM by tarheelsxxiii »

« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2015, 02:06:50 AM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
I'm curious, If either Oubre or  anyone from 12-14 was available , If Danny would of chosen Rozier still.

I wonder

Same. As soon as Oubre starting talking about "I'm a champion" and "winning championships," though, I was glad he was out of reach. Per that and his year at Kansas, seems like he hasn't figured out life yet.

« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2015, 02:07:54 AM »

Offline pokeKingCurtis

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280

I'd much rather keep Smart. But AB has been a binky of mine (and seemingly Ainge's). It seems like Smart and Rozier will have nice synergy, with both having some playmaking capacity on the offensive end (as well as massive playstopping ability on the other).

Obviously, it's far too premature to say anything. I have a lot of faith in Rozier after reading up on him, but he could very well turn out too be merely a Pressey replacement.

Glad that when it comes down to it, Ainge will be the one who'll have to make the tough decisions.

Edit: That said, the whole positionless basketball-thing CBS has been quoted saying makes this whole situation very interesting indeed.

« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2015, 02:17:16 AM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 392
I know competing for minutes is healthy and all that, but I would just like to point out the flaw in that argument in that the other 3-4 positions have very little competition in the way of minutes.

I wouldn't mind the Rozier pick if we're able to flip Smart (ack!) for a guy like Cousins.
- LilRip

« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2015, 02:22:28 AM »

Offline Iggzilla

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 8
I just spent two hours watching highlights of Terry Rozier in college, and he's grown on me. He's like a Dwyane Wade in Eric Bledsoe's body. He seems to have that natural scoring ability, he just needs to play in control. I'd love to see a Smart-Rozier backcourt for the C's, as long as their jumpshots improve (Rozier's mechanics look great, and Smart is improving in that area).

I have a feeling that once they see him play in summer league, fans will start to love this guy.

« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2015, 02:24:54 AM »

Offline Sixth Man

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 82

I wonder

Danny would never draft an Oubre, but maybe he'd spend a 2nd rounder on those shoes of his... :)

« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2015, 02:34:07 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
I just spent two hours watching highlights of Terry Rozier in college, and he's grown on me. He's like a Dwyane Wade in Eric Bledsoe's body. He seems to have that natural scoring ability, he just needs to play in control. I'd love to see a Smart-Rozier backcourt for the C's, as long as their jumpshots improve (Rozier's mechanics look great, and Smart is improving in that area).

I have a feeling that once they see him play in summer league, fans will start to love this guy.

Watch Rozier passing skill and scoring during the 5 on 5 combine game.  Impressive

Watch -  Number 14 -Dark Blue jersey
0:56 - Nice left hand pass to Christmas under the basket.  A Rondo like pass

Watch -  Number 14 - light jersey this time
1:13 - blows by his man and lobs a nice pass for alley hoop dunk
1:26 - steals the ball and dunks it hard.  Looked like Westbrook a little on that dunk.  Announcers are gushing about Rozier

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mQokJavxZFk