Author Topic: Woj: Nets are "strong front runners" to resign Brook Lopez and Thad Young  (Read 11703 times)

Offline TheFlex

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 367
Team A

2 of team's top 6 contributors during final 24-12 (.667 winning %) stretch run entirely new to team (IT, Crowder).

2 of team's top 6 acquired at start of the season, team had previously underwhelmed with them for a half season (ET, Zeller).

1 of the team's top 6 a rookie (Smart).

Final contributor part of team for a season or more prior, team had previously underwhelmed with him for more than an entire year.

Team B

1 of team's top 6 contributors during final 13-6 (.684 winning %)  stretch run entirely new to the team (Young).

1 of team's top 6 acquired at start of the season, team had previously underwhelmed with him for 3/4 of the season (Jack).

4 of team's top 6 part of team for a season or more than a season prior, team had previously underwhelmed with them for more than an entire year (Lopez, Williams, Johnson, Plumlee).

Which team had a greater correlation between their new acquisitions and winning basketball, team A or B? Which is more likely to finish .500 next season?

Draft: 8 first rounders in next 5 years.

Cap space: $24 mil.

https://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague/

Offline KeepRondo

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 215
Adrian Wojnarowski @WojYahooNBA
Brooklyn is moving rapidly toward extensions with free agents Brook Lopez and Thad Young, league sources tell Yahoo Sports.
Hear that?  It's the value of our "super valuable" Brooklyn picks farting into the wind.

They finished the season 13-6.   That's a 56 win pace.

13-6 not that impressive.
No... it's not.  But when you consider that Thad young joined the team at the deadline and they finished the final 19 games of the season strong, it's got to be mildly concerning.   One can make a direct connection between Brooklyn's improved play and the team gelling with Thad Young in the lineup.

I see their pick ending up 12-17 next year.
a lot of teams with worse records have improved through the draft or are expected to through free agency. I think your projections are a bit high. I'll say 5-10.
Rookies rarely make that much of a difference.  Other than the Knicks which East team has a chance to make significant improvement via free agency?
Teams with worse records would be the Knicks, Lakers, Pacers, and pistons.

Also, most fringe playoff teams would had benefitted from having Smart last year. Winslow will help the Heat. And Stanley Johnson will help the Pistons.

The Heat are also expected to sign Dragic if I remember right.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2015, 02:04:37 AM by KeepRondo »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Brooklyn is moving rapidly toward extensions with free agents Brook Lopez and Thad Young, league sources tell Yahoo Sports.
Hear that?  It's the value of our "super valuable" Brooklyn picks farting into the wind.

No... it's not.  But when you consider that Thad young joined the team at the deadline and they finished the final 19 games of the season strong, it's got to be mildly concerning.   One can make a direct connection between Brooklyn's improved play and the team gelling with Thad Young in the lineup.

a lot of teams with worse records have improved through the draft or are expected to through free agency. I think your projections are a bit high. I'll say 5-10.
I don't see any reason to believe they will be worse next year than they were this year.  They have made the playoffs two years in a row.  They finished the season pretty good.  In the Eastern Conference you can grab the 7th seed with a losing record.    12-17 is reasonable for their draft pick.   If you expect 5-10, you're setting yourself up for a letdown.  Brooklyn has more talent on their roster than Boston does.  Barring injury, they'll be back in the playoffs next year.

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842

I don't see any reason to believe they will be worse next year than they were this year.  They have made the playoffs two years in a row.  They finished the season pretty good.  In the Eastern Conference you can grab the 7th seed with a losing record.    12-17 is reasonable for their draft pick.   If you expect 5-10, you're setting yourself up for a letdown.  Brooklyn has more talent on their roster than Boston does.  Barring injury, they'll be back in the playoffs next year.
I don't expect the pick to be 5-10 but old teams who have no young talent (outside of a 1 rookie) tend to get worse.

Also, barring injury is a huge caveat considering the age/injury histories of Brooklyn's top players. It's like saying boston will make the playoffs assuming they sign a big time FA.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

Offline KeepRondo

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo

They have very slow players that play somewhat decent halfcourt offense. I see them getting exposed on defense and not having enough quickness to get easy looks. Their offense will be methodical and hard to maintain for 48 mins. Especially with an old Joe Johnson and unpredictable Deron Williams.

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549

Rookies rarely make that much of a difference.  Other than the Knicks which East team has a chance to make significant improvement via free agency?

Also, most fringe playoff teams would had benefitted from having Smart last year. Winslow will help the Heat. And Stanley Johnson will help the Pistons.

What about the Sixers? Magic? Nuggets? Hornets?   Just how few wins do you think the Nets will get?  I like Johnson but he doesn't make up for the Pistons losing Monroe?   

Offline KeepRondo

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo

What about the Sixers? Magic? Nuggets? Hornets?   Just how few wins do you think the Nets will get?  I like Johnson but he doesn't make up for the Pistons losing Monroe?
I don't see the Nets in the bottom 4. But I also won't rule out the possibility of them quiting on the season. I would say they will be around 5-10. Grouped with teams like the hornets and kings.

Also Monroe was a bad fit for the pistons. Not sure they could had been worse last year. Johnson is a much better fit and they might pick up a mid tier free agent.

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Nets locking in 30 to 40 wins per season over the next 3 years.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 277
Nets locking in 30 to 40 wins per season over the next 3 years.

;D

Offline knuckleballer

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 664
Speaking of our draft picks next year.  I haven't read a thing about Dallas being the front runners for any of the big name guys.  In fact, they are losing Ellis.  That pick is only protected 1-7, so that could easily be a late lottery pick for us. 

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Speaking of our draft picks next year.  I haven't read a thing about Dallas being the front runners for any of the big name guys.  In fact, they are losing Ellis.  That pick is only protected 1-7, so that could easily be a late lottery pick for us.

They are allegedly Deandre Jordan's first visit.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

Offline LGC88

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 167
Logically, the Nets should be less productive during the next 2 years but not by a large extend.
The owner is trying hard to shed salaries and want to sell the franchise. The playoff race is not priority anymore. Players will have less motivation, and it will only take a couple of players acting like tourist to start to ruin the locker room or at least split it in 2 groups.
Lopez just sign his retirement income and obviously has no real desire of winning a championship. He's playing for the money only now.
I believe Williams and/or Johnson will be traded soon or in February.
I predict 35 wins for them and around 30 the next season as well.
That should give us a couple of 9-13th pick range.

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
Looks about done:

Yahoo Sources: The Nets have agreements now: Thad Young (4 years, $50M) and Brook Lopez (3 years, $60M). Both deals w/ player option.

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
I think the Nets are having a great summer.

I loved that RHJ pickup in the draft for them. Exactly what they needed. So many slow-to-average athletes on the perimeter. They desperately needed a high level athlete with defense talent to try and shore up their perimeter defense. And RHJ has the athleticism to switch onto any of the three perimeter positions. Brooklyn has big guards who can switch onto smaller wings. JJ can cover both SGs and SFs. So they can mix and match and find best use of RHJ. Defensive versatility.

I think they have solidified their place as a low seed playoff team. Or late lottery pick team.

I think the only hope now for that 2016 Brooklyn pick becoming a mid-to-high lottery pick is if they suffer some injuries. Lopez and Williams have been injury-prone players in recent years so there is still a chance of this.

I think they have done as well as they could reasonably hope to do with their limited flexibility to put forward a strong as possible team next season. Next step is to replace Plumlee so that B.Lopez has a quality backup center.

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 816
I think the Nets are having a great summer.

I loved that RHJ pickup in the draft for them. Exactly what they needed. So many slow-to-average athletes on the perimeter. They desperately needed a high level athlete with defense talent to try and shore up their perimeter defense. And RHJ has the athleticism to switch onto any of the three perimeter positions. Brooklyn has big guards who can switch onto smaller wings. JJ can cover both SGs and SFs. So they can mix and match and find best use of RHJ. Defensive versatility.

I think they have solidified their place as a low seed playoff team. Or late lottery pick team.

I think the only hope now for that 2016 Brooklyn pick becoming a mid-to-high lottery pick is if they suffer some injuries. Lopez and Williams have been injury-prone players in recent years so there is still a chance of this.

I think they have done as well as they could reasonably hope to do with their limited flexibility to put forward a strong as possible team next season. Next step is to replace Plumlee so that B.Lopez has a quality backup center.

What do you think their Ceiling is if they trade Joe Johnson?
CB Draft LA Lakers: Lamarcus Aldridge, Carmelo Anthony,Jrue Holiday, Wes Matthews  6.11, 7.16, 8.14, 8.15, 9.16, 11.5, 11.16