Author Topic: Woj: Nets are "strong front runners" to resign Brook Lopez and Thad Young  (Read 11732 times)

Offline Jonny CC

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 76
I think the Nets will finish in the top 6 in the east unfortunately, Dwill and JJ are both in contract years so they will be balling. As long as Lopez stays healthy too of course, but knowing our luck he will  :'(

Joe Johnson's going to be balling at 35 even though his #s have been plummeting since joining the Nets? Unless JJ is the Tim Duncan of shooting guards I don't see that happening.

Knowing our "luck"? Are you implying that the Celtics have bad luck?

You mean the same bad luck that netted us Garnett and Ray that won the Celtics a championship and made them contenders for 5 years?
You mean the same bad luck where we got 4 first round picks for three guys in their mid-30s who the Nets have all gotten rid of in less than 2 years?
You mean the same bad luck that got the Celtics Brad Stevens, one of the best coaches in basketball?
You mean the same bad luck that Celtics have an ocean of picks over the next several years and have so many options to choose from? As opposed to the Nets, who have no other options if they can't re-sign Lopez or Young.

I don't know about you, but I think the Celtics have been pretty darn lucky for the past several years.

Look I wasn't meaning to be all doom and gloom, but some I feel are just unrealistic with expecting these picks to fall in the top 10 of the lottery.

Joe Johnson will be 34 this year, not 35. Also his FG% has been the same for years, although his FGA dropped since moving to brooklyn playing with Dwill and Lopez. Contract year generally means players play better, I don't see them being bad and Hollins is a good coach.

Also in regards to luck and your points, I counter with KGs knee, Perks knee, Jeff Greens heart, David West not signing, Rondos arm, Rondos ACL to name a few without going pre 2008.

We are in a great position moving foward, however I expect the 2017 pick swap and 2018 to be the best value with the 2016 being another mid first rounder (assuming they resign Lopez and Young of course!)

Joe Johnson and DWill are not going to get any better.  They are both on their way to Toast Town.
Before a game on Christmas against the Pacers, Bird told Chuck Person that he had a present for him. During the game, Bird shot a 3-pointer in front of Person. Immediately after releasing the ball, Bird said to Person, "Merry F!#*ing Christmas!" and then the shot went in.

Online hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2704
Derron Williams is 31, Joe Johnson is 34. They have been declining the past few years, and are hitting the stages where they will have even steeper declines, especially Joe Johnson. Derron and Brook Lopez were bench players for a large part of last season because they sucked so much. The Nets just gave up Plumblee who was starting during their run last year. On top of it, the East is getting much better with healthy superstars returning for many teams. The Nets won't be making the playoffs for the next few years.

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404
I was really impressed with Lionel Hollins last year. It was a slow start. A difficult start. But he really brought that team together and got them to buy into his style of basketball as the year went on. I thought Brook Lopez in particular did the best job I have seen him do in years in terms of playing defense and rebounding.

To me they look like a team that is on the verge of putting things together and I think RHJ was exactly the type of piece they needed for that next step. Someone with athleticism and defensive quickness out there on the perimeter. That was a huge vulnerability for them.

Online tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 551
Derron Williams is 31, Joe Johnson is 34. They have been declining the past few years, and are hitting the stages where they will have even steeper declines, especially Joe Johnson. Derron and Brook Lopez were bench players for a large part of last season because they sucked so much. The Nets just gave up Plumblee who was starting during their run last year. On top of it, the East is getting much better with healthy superstars returning for many teams. The Nets won't be making the playoffs for the next few years.
I don't see a steep decline in Joe Johnson's productivity any time soon.  His game doesn't depend on his athleticism and he's been quite healthy.  Plumlee's productivity dropped off considerably at the end of last season.  I don't see the East being much better.  Indiana will lose West and are trying to dump Hibbert.  Miami may lose Dragic, Deng and Wade and Wade's health is still going to be an issue.   

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 277
I don't see a steep decline in Joe Johnson's productivity any time soon.  His game doesn't depend on his athleticism and he's been quite healthy.  Plumlee's productivity dropped off considerably at the end of last season.  I don't see the East being much better.  Indiana will lose West and are trying to dump Hibbert.  Miami may lose Dragic, Deng and Wade and Wade's health is still going to be an issue.

Yeah Indy will lose West, but they'll have Paul George back and they'll have Myles Turner. The Heat on the other hand will have Bosh and Winslow and are the favorites to Dragic.

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
I was really impressed with Lionel Hollins last year. It was a slow start. A difficult start. But he really brought that team together and got them to buy into his style of basketball as the year went on. I thought Brook Lopez in particular did the best job I have seen him do in years in terms of playing defense and rebounding.

To me they look like a team that is on the verge of putting things together and I think RHJ was exactly the type of piece they needed for that next step. Someone with athleticism and defensive quickness out there on the perimeter. That was a huge vulnerability for them.

That's a really good take on the situation.

Online hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2704

Yeah Indy will lose West, but they'll have Paul George back and they'll have Myles Turner. The Heat on the other hand will have Bosh and Winslow and are the favorites to Dragic.

Yep. The Bucks will have Parker, the Bulls will have Rose and Noah healthy, the only east team I really see taking a step back is Toronto who may sell off some players and rebuild.

Offline ImShakHeIsShaq

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 804
Not counting out any team in the east playoffs just yet, the game and health are too fickle. Seems when I wish bad for others they come out smelling like roses.
It takes me 3hrs to get to Miami and 1hr to get to Orlando... but I *SPIT* on their NBA teams! "Bless God and bless the (Celts)"-Lady GaGa (she said gays but she really meant Celts)

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120

Meaning.... We should trade their pick ASAP. Right? Because if that ship turns around in the weak east then it isn't too hard to be playoff bound and out of the lottery.
Celtics fan for life.

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson

Meaning.... We should trade their pick ASAP. Right? Because if that ship turns around in the weak east then it isn't too hard to be playoff bound and out of the lottery.

I'm still banking on injuries.

Offline MBunge

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 471

I like Hollins and the Nets have every incentive to keep Lopez and Young, but there's little reason to think they're putting anything together.  They are extremely limited in their ability to add any talent and Joe Johnson is playing on borrowed time.

Mike

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
Adrian Wojnarowski @WojYahooNBA
Brooklyn is moving rapidly toward extensions with free agents Brook Lopez and Thad Young, league sources tell Yahoo Sports.

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Brooklyn is moving rapidly toward extensions with free agents Brook Lopez and Thad Young, league sources tell Yahoo Sports.
Hear that?  It's the value of our "super valuable" Brooklyn picks farting into the wind.

They finished the season 13-6.   That's a 56 win pace.

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
Hear that?  It's the value of our "super valuable" Brooklyn picks farting into the wind.

I'm LarBrd's new hype-man. He says what I say in a sexier way. Initial catch-phrases will be "boom" and "got 'em!"
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

Offline knuckleballer

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 664

Brook Lopez games played

11-12  5
12-13  74
13-14  17
14-15  72

I'm not too worried.