Author Topic: Harris and Monroe  (Read 4066 times)

Re: Harris and Monroe
« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2015, 08:11:55 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
I think we have a real shot at signing these two guys this off season

Harris: love this guys game, he's 22 and Stevens can teach him smart shot selection

Monroe: his game has been hindered by the presence of drummond imo and truly is a C

We can go over the cap to sign crowder
Thomas scores off bench and we put Zeller as a back up C
What do all think?

I'd be very happy with Monroe and Harris.

« Reply #16 on: June 27, 2015, 08:53:58 PM »

Offline Chief Macho

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 84
Why would you this?  It makes them a team too good to get into the lottery, and not good enough to win anything.   

« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2015, 09:24:04 PM »

Offline Celts Fan 508

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 54
Why would you this?  It makes them a team too good to get into the lottery, and not good enough to win anything.

They are both young players who would grow with the guards and KO and/or Sully. 

We would still have assets in the future to add to them (Brooklyn picks).

Both will be All-Stars IMO.

Both offer position flexibility.

We would win Atlantic in 2015-16 and if Lebron gets injured in next few years we could win the East.

We would be set up for long term. 

They would be our best and second best player.

I love this article on Harris and have shared it before, but here it is if you haven't read it:  http://www.basketballanalyticsbook.com/2015/05/06/the-nbas-most-underrated-player/

2019 historical draft.  Pick 12

Tim Duncan, Oscar Robertson, Elgin Baylor, Scottie Pippen, Willis Reed, Mitch Richmond, Sam Jones, Dan Majerle, Bob Cousy, Rasheed Wallace, Shawn Kemp, Marcus Camby

« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2015, 09:39:30 PM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 420
I like te idea of these two. I wonder if a sign and trade with Detroit can be used to free up cap room and push the Cs ahead of the Knicks for Monroe. Maybe AB+Wallace+ future 1st? Maybe even add sully?

New lineup ( if sully is added)

Starters
Smart
Turner
Harris
KO
Monroe

Bench
Thomas
Zeller
Crowder (resign)
Jerebko ( resign)
Rozier
Hunter
Young
Mickey
FA center
FA vet wing

This roster lacks interior defense but features string perimeter defenders and 3 players capable of scoring 20+ pts on any given night
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #19 on: June 27, 2015, 09:49:31 PM »

Offline BDeCosta26

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 232

I'm not saying I agree with it, but Harris is only 22 with major room to improve, and Monroe is like 25 but he's been held back by the presence of Drummond at his natural position of the 5. He could be a 20 and 10 guy with the right opportunity.

I think we could get them, and even though I also think we could get Love, we have a good back-up for Harris in Crowder who does the things Harris isn't very good at, and we have the trade chips to bring on a legit defensive 5.

« Reply #20 on: June 27, 2015, 09:51:03 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
I like te idea of these two. I wonder if a sign and trade with Detroit can be used to free up cap room and push the Cs ahead of the Knicks for Monroe. Maybe AB+Wallace+ future 1st? Maybe even add sully?

Starters
Smart
Turner
Harris
KO
Monroe

Bench
Thomas
Zeller
Crowder (resign)
Jerebko ( resign)
Rozier
Hunter
Young
Mickey
FA center
FA vet wing

This roster lacks interior defense but features string perimeter defenders and 3 players capable of scoring 20+ pts on any given night
Weak offense. No go to scorer. Harris not that good.

« Reply #21 on: June 27, 2015, 09:56:28 PM »

Offline BDeCosta26

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 232

Starters
Smart
Turner
Harris
KO
Monroe

Bench
Thomas
Zeller
Crowder (resign)
Jerebko ( resign)
Rozier
Hunter
Young
Mickey
FA center
FA vet wing

I'm pretty sure you can only do sign and trades with UFA's? Maybe I'm wrong though. And I really think people are blowing up how bad Monroe's defense is. It's certainly not good, but I would say it's slightly below average at the 5. Gets destroyed at the 4 though.

And I understand the desire to clear the log-jam but you can't throw Bradley into a S&T. He's a better player than that. Maybe Turner, certainly Wallace, but not AB. You can get value for AB.

« Reply #22 on: June 27, 2015, 10:03:59 PM »

Offline Londongreen

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 4
Monroe is
1. Over-rated
2. Not a center
3. Not a rim protecter
4. Is a shady defender
5. Not the type of player the C's need.
6. Cannot shoot 3s.

We all say him in detroit. He plays a game the Celtics don't want. Under Brad this team is about Defence and Shooting 3s. None of which he can do.

Drummond > Smith > Monroe on the pistons.

People say Harris is over-rated, but Hariis is like 4 years younger. He is also a wing (which we need and is what the game is about now), can rebound, is clutch and can score.

Boston is not a small market, we are not the Magic, we shouldn't be after guys like Monroe who are not worth nowhere near the max.

« Reply #23 on: June 27, 2015, 10:25:29 PM »

Offline Jonny CC

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 76
Monroe is
1. Over-rated
2. Not a center
3. Not a rim protecter
4. Is a shady defender
6. Cannot shoot 3s.

We all say him in detroit. He plays a game the Celtics don't want. Under Brad this team is about Defence and Shooting 3s. None of which he can do.

People say Harris is over-rated, but Hariis is like 4 years younger. He is also a wing (which we need and is what the game is about now), can rebound, is clutch and can score.

Boston is not a small market, we are not the Magic, we shouldn't be after guys like Monroe who are not worth nowhere near the max.

Monroe is
1. Over-rated - Stats tell a different story.  He's a very good player. 
2. Not a center - He's a 6'11" power forward who can play center. 
3. Not a rim protecter - That is such an over-rated, over-used term.  He does everything else well.
4. Is a shady defender - What does that mean?  How do you determine what a "shady defender" is??
5. Not the type of player the C's need. - He would be the best power forward/center on the team. The C's don't need a very good bigman who can rebound??
6. Cannot shoot 3s. - So what?!?!  Their are a ton all star caliber PF/Cs who don't shoot 3s. Monroe's job would be to score and rebound.  Leave the 3pt shooting to the 9 guards on the team.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2015, 10:48:06 PM by Jonny CC »
Before a game on Christmas against the Pacers, Bird told Chuck Person that he had a present for him. During the game, Bird shot a 3-pointer in front of Person. Immediately after releasing the ball, Bird said to Person, "Merry F!#*ing Christmas!" and then the shot went in.

« Reply #24 on: June 27, 2015, 10:33:04 PM »

Offline hodgy03038

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 440
  • Marcus Smart #1 Fan
Monroe can hit free throws. Neither Drummond or Smith can.

You are saying Josh Smith is > Monroe? If so you need to up your medication. Josh Smith is terrible with flashes of brilliance. He is Antoine Walker.

« Reply #25 on: June 27, 2015, 10:38:53 PM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2238
Monroe is
1. Over-rated
2. Not a center
3. Not a rim protecter
4. Is a shady defender
6. Cannot shoot 3s.

1. Monroe is underrated and good value.
2 IS a center and played  out of position in Detroit
3 IS an excellent passer  for a big man
4 Is a far more effective defender at the 5 than the 4
5 Runs the floor so well, he could be the Best center in transition
6 Is a rebounding MONSTER

Monroe AND Harris together are exactly what our Cs need. Great young core.

And Monroe is not 4 years older than Harris, he is 2 years and one month older. He just turned 25 3 weeks ago, and Harris will be 23 in 2 weeks.

One last thing, Josh Smith in Detroit was DUMPED by the Pistons.

Monroe was easily the superior player.

« Reply #26 on: June 27, 2015, 10:47:06 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
Monroe is
1. Over-rated
2. Not a center
3. Not a rim protecter
4. Is a shady defender
6. Cannot shoot 3s.
1. There are going to be multiple teams who are going to offer him the max, that says all you need to know about his value in the marketplace. I trust marketplace value a lot more than I trust your opinion of his rating.
2. He is absolutely a center, he puts up considerably better stats as a center. Just because he was forced to play out of position at the 4 since they had Drummond doess not mean he is a 4.
3. Neither is Zeller but with the way our defense has bigs drop down he was the starting center for the 12th best defense in the league.
4. See 3
5. A go to scorer that we can dump it down to is not the type of player we need? He is also very good in transition and in the pick and roll. He would be the best rebounder on our team
6. Not everyone needs to shoot 3's. If you surround him with 3 point shooting, he can't be doubled in the post and would be a load to handle. He was able to put up good post scoring numbers with a cluttered offense think about what he can do with the quality spacing we routinely have.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #27 on: June 27, 2015, 10:51:42 PM »

Offline Celts Fan 508

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 54
Monroe is
1. Over-rated
2. Not a center
3. Not a rim protecter
4. Is a shady defender
6. Cannot shoot 3s.

Monroe is a good enough post defender, terrible perimeter player (which is why I would only sign him as a center)

Monroe is the best rim runner in the NBA

Monroe solves our rebounding problem

Is an excellent passer

Can dominate down low

2019 historical draft.  Pick 12

Tim Duncan, Oscar Robertson, Elgin Baylor, Scottie Pippen, Willis Reed, Mitch Richmond, Sam Jones, Dan Majerle, Bob Cousy, Rasheed Wallace, Shawn Kemp, Marcus Camby

« Reply #28 on: June 27, 2015, 10:52:55 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft

They are both young players who would grow with the guards and KO and/or Sully. 

We would still have assets in the future to add to them (Brooklyn picks).

Both will be All-Stars IMO.

Both offer position flexibility.

We would win Atlantic in 2015-16 and if Lebron gets injured in next few years we could win the East.

We would be set up for long term. 

They would be our best and second best player.

I love this article on Harris and have shared it before, but here it is if you haven't read it:  http://www.basketballanalyticsbook.com/2015/05/06/the-nbas-most-underrated-player/
Great response, tp. Also adding talent to your roster means you have more players to trade for stars. Even if those players don't put the C's over the top, who says that Harris or Monroe can't be used to obtain the superstar that some people want to tank for.

Btw I didn't mention this in my other post but if we sign Monroe and Harris it should be at the 4 and 5 not the 3 and 4.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #29 on: June 27, 2015, 10:55:05 PM »

Offline hodgy03038

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 440
  • Marcus Smart #1 Fan
His overall game is better than Drummond. He is really good. Who cares if he can't shoot 3's - could Russell, Chamberlain, Jabbar, Shaq? It's really kind of stupid to say he can't shoot 3's. You want a 7-footer that can't defend and shoot 3's then Bargnani is available.