Author Topic: My NBA anti-tanking proposal  (Read 6608 times)

Re: My NBA anti-tanking proposal
« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2015, 06:19:51 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
The most extreme and 100% effective way to get rid of tanking was purposed on a certain site. Abolish the draft! It was absolutely correct if the players were all FAs  $, team fit and destination determined the prize. No team would tank.

Of course NBA already has a rookie salary peak  of the #1 pick. All you have to do is double that amount give it to every team and you would tell them this is your rookie max total so you can't sign all the rookies. I actually wouldn't mind the approach seems very player friendly. You can throw all the $ at the best prospect just as teams do in FA. Or you can divide it up and get a few guys.

Until you tell the starting five at Kentucky that they'll make up the difference in salary by the exposure that comes with signing with the Knicks or the Lakers. Every year. And no one wants to go to Milwaukee ever.

Of course but teams can't pay everyone or play everyone. Much like college players many will also want to go somewhere they can play sooner and thus get paid sooner. This is how mid level programs score top 25 prospects. It would work 3x more effectively in the Pros.

« Reply #16 on: June 27, 2015, 06:31:14 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
The best plan I have seen limits how many times you can get a top 3 pick. So if you win the lottery one year, yyou cant be top 3 for the next 2 or 3 years. The problem with this would be that, for one year at a time, tanking would actually be more effective as you only have to contend with 10 other teams as opposed to 13 with the ping pong balls.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2015, 07:38:27 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
The top 3 cycle and playoff exemption together would be good to deter teams

« Reply #18 on: June 28, 2015, 02:13:04 AM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
The most extreme and 100% effective way to get rid of tanking was purposed on a certain site. Abolish the draft! It was absolutely correct if the players were all FAs  $, team fit and destination determined the prize. No team would tank.

Of course NBA already has a rookie salary peak  of the #1 pick. All you have to do is double that amount give it to every team and you would tell them this is your rookie max total so you can't sign all the rookies. I actually wouldn't mind the approach seems very player friendly. You can throw all the $ at the best prospect just as teams do in FA. Or you can divide it up and get a few guys.

Until you tell the starting five at Kentucky that they'll make up the difference in salary by the exposure that comes with signing with the Knicks or the Lakers. Every year. And no one wants to go to Milwaukee ever.

Of course but teams can't pay everyone or play everyone. Much like college players many will also want to go somewhere they can play sooner and thus get paid sooner. This is how mid level programs score top 25 prospects. It would work 3x more effectively in the Pros.

No one cares about mid level NCAA programs, and no one really cares about the top 25 of a draft class. There are typically 1-3 lustworthy players in each draft class. Opening them up to open bidding virtually guarantees league consolidation because you're taking the one thing that small market teams have (the contracts) and turning them into open season.

There are only ~450 players in the NBA at any given time. Of those, maybe 15 are players that are franchise-defining talents. the talent pool you're suggesting just isn't there.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #19 on: June 28, 2015, 11:43:24 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
I don't understand why tanking is a problem for people.

Because of the following calculus:

1. I want my team to be good.  Not just decent, but really good.

2. I don't want to root for my team to lose, or trade away decent players for no good reason.

3. I just watched my team make the playoffs and get swept, while some other team stopped trying in late February and got a top 10 pick.

4. My team just selected a guy who will be lucky to enjoy a 5-6 year career on the bench while the team that missed the playoffs got a potential difference maker.

5. I can't escape the feeling that making the playoffs was a really bad thing for my team.  This stinks.
TP I hate the fact tanking or "late tanking" is employed but the league is structured that way. We understand tanking but as fans we should all hate it.
But why?  I don't buy those reasons.  If I know my team isn't going to be very good, I'd much rather try to get a real difference maker.  Basketball is the one sport where one player can take a team from out of the playoffs to real contender.  I don't understand why people have a problem with tanking. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #20 on: June 28, 2015, 11:56:29 AM »

Offline danglertx

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 210
Just to address a couple issues people raised.  First, the owners aren't costing themselves money, the bad owners are and the good owners are splitting more.  If you have a competent team you won't be losing any money, you'd be making more.

Teams that are bad over and over, they will lose money and hopefully sell to an owner who will turn a franchise around.

Secondly, teams that have an injury or two and end up bad, players on those teams won't want to leave if things are being run well for less money elsewhere.  My plan just gives players the option to leave (for less money elsewhere) if they feel the team they are on isn't trying to win.  If the 76ers were trying to win, Noel wouldn't want to leave, maybe he doesn't leave anyway.  The point is, it puts a consequence on trying to lose, which is what we need. 

You get what you incentivize and get less of what you tax, basic government.

« Reply #21 on: June 28, 2015, 11:58:19 AM »

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 372

If you are season ticket holder it is a major problem.

« Reply #22 on: June 28, 2015, 12:06:18 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson

No one cares about mid level NCAA programs, and no one really cares about the top 25 of a draft class. There are typically 1-3 lustworthy players in each draft class. Opening them up to open bidding virtually guarantees league consolidation because you're taking the one thing that small market teams have (the contracts) and turning them into open season.

There are only ~450 players in the NBA at any given time. Of those, maybe 15 are players that are franchise-defining talents. the talent pool you're suggesting just isn't there.
Yet in the NBA there is still a salary cap to deal with and playing time factor. These players would have 4 years(rookie contract) to build their profile. Don't think they want to waste it on a stacked team coming off the bench and taking less $. So they would pick a small market if it meant they would have more exposer on the court in playing and development time. You can't dismiss that. That (getting on the court) would be the biggest factor IMO. So in essence they would actually go to a team that needs them and is a good fit for them first and foremost.

« Reply #23 on: June 28, 2015, 12:26:40 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533

for a season or two, and then you get, in theory, a much better team.

Look at OKC.  They clearly tanked.  For a two plus year period, every move they made was about getting worse.  They traded every single veteran on the team for draft picks.  They made no moves to help the short term.  They accumulated 10 first round picks in a four year period.  If not for Durant's injury this year, they would have been a real contender for six straight years. 

That is what a tank job is supposed to do. 

As a season ticket holder wouldn't you rather have two or three seasons of 25ish wins, if it meant ten straight years of 50+ wins including at least one Finals appearance.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #24 on: June 28, 2015, 12:50:01 PM »

Offline RAAAAAAAANDY

• NCE
  • Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 57

Then don't buy tickets...

I hadn't attended a Sixers game since like 2003 until Hinkie finally hit the reset button and end the post 2001 dulldrums.

« Reply #25 on: June 28, 2015, 12:52:33 PM »

Offline RAAAAAAAANDY

• NCE
  • Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 57
I think no max contracts, a hard cap and open bidding on "draft" night/period would be fun.

I do not think it'd stop tanking because GMs would clear crazy space(and suck in the process) and offer 18 yr old LeBron a 2015 Kobe type contract.

« Reply #26 on: June 28, 2015, 01:21:39 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
I don't understand why people have a problem with tanking.

Because some people actually want to be able to watch the team and enjoy the process of rebuilding.  That's a lot harder to do if hitting absolute rock bottom is the most efficient way of doing it.

So you either sit here and think, well, my team is kind of fun to watch and likable, but they're not doing everything they can to rebuild the best way.  Or you're sitting here thinking, well, my team is committed to going all-in on rebuilding, but man are they awful. 
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #27 on: June 28, 2015, 02:17:37 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
The best plan I have seen limits how many times you can get a top 3 pick. So if you win the lottery one year, yyou cant be top 3 for the next 2 or 3 years. The problem with this would be that, for one year at a time, tanking would actually be more effective as you only have to contend with 10 other teams as opposed to 13 with the ping pong balls.

If a team in the top 3 drafted a can't-miss superstar who almost singlehandedly got the team into the playoffs and looked like a potential greatest of all time player, then he died in a tragic car crash that summer, would you make that team wait a few more years before they can have a top 3 pick again?
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #28 on: June 28, 2015, 02:20:49 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950

for a season or two, and then you get, in theory, a much better team.

Look at OKC.  They clearly tanked.  For a two plus year period, every move they made was about getting worse.  They traded every single veteran on the team for draft picks.  They made no moves to help the short term.  They accumulated 10 first round picks in a four year period.  If not for Durant's injury this year, they would have been a real contender for six straight years. 

That is what a tank job is supposed to do. 

As a season ticket holder wouldn't you rather have two or three seasons of 25ish wins, if it meant ten straight years of 50+ wins including at least one Finals appearance.

The Thunder tank job was all about making it easier to move the team to Seattle.  Being able to draft good players was a secondary concern.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #29 on: June 28, 2015, 02:46:44 PM »

Offline samjones

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 6
NBA wants fans going to stadiums to see competitive games played at a professional level. NBA doesn't want team rosters filled with D-league-rs. So set a minimum number of games that must be won to qualify for the first six positions of the draft. Set it high enough that teams cannot rip their roster apart willy-nilly.