Author Topic: Draft redo for the record  (Read 9458 times)

Re: Draft redo for the record
« Reply #30 on: June 28, 2015, 03:14:40 PM »

Offline MikeJelly

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 24
16 - Justin Anderson
28 - RJ Hunter
33 - Robert Upshaw
45 - Christian Wood

This is exactly mine too

« Reply #31 on: June 28, 2015, 03:29:36 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Well, for the record, I don't think much separates any of the picks after about 13/14, the draft really dropped off in talent in that range.  So with that said, any of these players probably have just as much of a chance as the others at sticking with a roster in the NBA.  But if it were up to me I would have picked the following:

16- Rondae Hollis-Jefferson
28- Montrezl Harrell
33- Dakari Johnson
45- Robert Upshaw

3 out of 4 guys , would not fit under CBS system

Aren't you the same poster who was adamantly advocating the Celtics draft Aaron Gordon with their lottery pick?

Talk about a bad fit, and a bad player.

But besides that, I don't buy the notion these guys (outside of maybe RHJ) would be a bad fit for Brad's "system".  And on the topic of Brad's "system", I'm of the opinion that if a coach cannot adjust his system to players he has, he should not be an NBA coach.  In the NBA talent trumps all, so when drafting, you draft the best available players, not players who "fit" some coach's system.

Aaron Gordon iq plus athleticism plus defense is advanced

He will have a better year next season

« Reply #32 on: June 28, 2015, 03:39:57 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
I'd bet Aaron Gordon is out if the league in a few years.  Scrub player.

« Reply #33 on: June 28, 2015, 03:46:25 PM »

Offline HomerSapien

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 43
I'm talking myself into the rozier pick a bit (I'm anxious to see him play since he wasn't on my radar at all).

I wanted to see RHJ and Hunter in the 1st round, so I'll stick with that.  I also hoped they'd go for Dakari Johnson at #45, but I can understand why they went draft and stash.  With the roster crunch if they sign a C, it probably needs to be a fully NBA ready one.

« Reply #34 on: June 28, 2015, 04:32:56 PM »

Offline krumeto

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 72
I'd bet Aaron Gordon is out if the league in a few years.  Scrub player.
Taking that bet any day. Just name the number of TPs.
"We do so many defensive drills in practice, I come home and I'm putting the press on my woman, denying her the ball.
Y'all are laughing, but it's sad. I go home and deny the wing."

« Reply #35 on: June 28, 2015, 06:30:10 PM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 386
Dekker, Harrell, Andrew Harrison, Dakari Johnson.

I echo what somebody else said earlier about Dekker and Rozier being on a similar tier, so you use the pick on a position of greater need.

I always liked Harrell, and using second round picks on role players from Kentucky seems like good value, since those guys might have had much more illustrious careers as featured players on less talented college teams.

I think Dekker would have played more than Rozier this upcoming year.  Actually Dekker really intrigues me.  But I've come to think that Rozier will get closer to an All-Star game than Dekker.

Edit:  Also, while trading Bradley for a big is fun, it would equal a pretty big hit to our perimeter defense.  Trading Smart for a bigger fish ditto (even more so).  This pick allows a trade without sacrificing that aspect of what made the Celtics a good team the second half of last year...
« Last Edit: June 28, 2015, 06:41:50 PM by wiley »

« Reply #36 on: June 29, 2015, 09:00:43 PM »

Offline Forza Juventus

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 70
Well, for the record, I don't think much separates any of the picks after about 13/14, the draft really dropped off in talent in that range.  So with that said, any of these players probably have just as much of a chance as the others at sticking with a roster in the NBA.  But if it were up to me I would have picked the following:

16- Rondae Hollis-Jefferson
28- Montrezl Harrell
33- Dakari Johnson
45- Robert Upshaw

3 out of 4 guys , would not fit under CBS system

Aren't you the same poster who was adamantly advocating the Celtics draft Aaron Gordon with their lottery pick?

Talk about a bad fit, and a bad player.

But besides that, I don't buy the notion these guys (outside of maybe RHJ) would be a bad fit for Brad's "system".  And on the topic of Brad's "system", I'm of the opinion that if a coach cannot adjust his system to players he has, he should not be an NBA coach. In the NBA talent trumps all, so when drafting, you draft the best available players, not players who "fit" some coach's system.

This.
Azzurri | Juventus | Boston Celtics | Kentucky Basketball

"All the negativity that’s on Celticsblog sucks. I’ve been around when Kyrie Irving was criticized. I’ve been around when Al Horford was insulted. And it stinks. It makes the greatest team, greatest fans in the world, lousy."

Celticsblog=sports radio

« Reply #37 on: June 29, 2015, 09:04:55 PM »

Offline Forza Juventus

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 70
As I said I would have taken RHJ at 16 and Upshaw at 45. But I would have been fine with Anderson or Dekker at 16 and I would have been fine with Dakari or Alexander at 45. I also would have been fine with drafting Andrew Harrison in the second round and Mickey at 28, etc.

The reason I like RHJ so much is because he can finish at the rim, defend, is not a bad free throw shooter, and is athletic. He could definitely start for a good team in the future if he just became an average three point shooter and I think that is great value at 16. High upside and his floor is rotation player. He also fits a need. In my opinion he was best available at 16.
Azzurri | Juventus | Boston Celtics | Kentucky Basketball

"All the negativity that’s on Celticsblog sucks. I’ve been around when Kyrie Irving was criticized. I’ve been around when Al Horford was insulted. And it stinks. It makes the greatest team, greatest fans in the world, lousy."

Celticsblog=sports radio

« Reply #38 on: June 29, 2015, 09:19:39 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Dekker, Harrell, Andrew Harrison, Dakari Johnson.

I echo what somebody else said earlier about Dekker and Rozier being on a similar tier, so you use the pick on a position of greater need.

I always liked Harrell, and using second round picks on role players from Kentucky seems like good value, since those guys might have had much more illustrious careers as featured players on less talented college teams.

I think Dekker would have played more than Rozier this upcoming year.  Actually Dekker really intrigues me.  But I've come to think that Rozier will get closer to an All-Star game than Dekker.

Edit:  Also, while trading Bradley for a big is fun, it would equal a pretty big hit to our perimeter defense.  Trading Smart for a bigger fish ditto (even more so).  This pick allows a trade without sacrificing that aspect of what made the Celtics a good team the second half of last year...

I like Dekker but he shot himself in the foot by skipping the Celtics workout. 

He also can't create his own shot very well, streaky shooter (give him props for some of those clutch buckets he made in the tourney but also was horrible vs Duke in the finals- puzzling) and is not very good in one thing, decent in many.   

Danny went with upside and potential when he drafted Rozier.  His stats should of been better but in the end he carried Louisville to the elite 8.  On the Celtics squad with potentially less traffic under the rim, Roziers game can flourish.   Rozier shot the 3 at a very good rate in year one (37 percent) but only 30 percent in year 2.  So he can shoot, but needs to take quality shots. In addition with him not being double teammed from the start in the NBA, he can concentrate on shooting the open 3's - his efficiency can increase. 

This is what I think is going through Danny's mind

« Reply #39 on: June 29, 2015, 09:26:24 PM »

Online jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1763
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
I would have gone with:

16 Rondae Hollis-Jefferson
28 RJ Hunter
33 Jordan Mickey
45 Robert Upshaw

Since this is 'for the record' and I always forget to post in these types of threads, these are also my picks.

I could have seen Portis at #16, Harrell at #28, and Dakari at #33, as well.

« Reply #40 on: June 29, 2015, 09:39:21 PM »

Offline Nikki8

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 5
I am very far from being an expert on judging NBA talent but my choices would have been:

16: Bobby Portis (the best player not picked by 16)
28. Kevon Looney (very good all around player)
33. Willy Hernangomez (draft and stash)
45. Nikola Radicevic (draft and stash)

I probably would have picked the two players Brooklyn wanted for Plumlee and made that trade with them instead of letting Portland do it. In my limited basketball iq, I though he looked very good before Lopez came back last year.