Author Topic: Draft redo for the record  (Read 9410 times)

Re: Draft redo for the record
« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2015, 12:21:37 AM »

Online jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
Always wanted RHJ, so he would need to be #16. Love the Hunter choice at #28. I was hoping for Harrell at #33 and obviously Upshaw at #45. Ainge did a good job with what he had, it's just unfortunate we didn't have another Pierce/Jefferson/Green/Sully slide to obviously take with #16.

« Reply #16 on: June 28, 2015, 05:46:43 AM »

Online tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549
I would have gone with:

16 Rondae Hollis-Jefferson
28 RJ Hunter
33 Jordan Mickey
45 Robert Upshaw

For me this is the best non-Rozier alternative (except for Upshaw at 45)

Before the draft I wanted Portis, Dekker or RHJ. I now think Danny did better with Rozier, though I still consider RHJ one who has a chance to make Danny and a few others regret...
RHJ will be a major defender and spark plug. 

I'd be really curious to know if Danny would have gone with Hunter at 16 over Dekker and Portis (and others) if he hadn't felt he had to use the 16 on Rozier.  Would he have taken Justin Anderson over Hunter at 16?  I can only guess yes but no idea...Hunter is probably a better fit with the system run by the Celtics?

I was intrigued with Jaiteh, for 45, but he went undrafted so maybe that was off base...

I'd have gone with Norman Powell over Upshaw.
Jaiteh said he didn't want to be a Euro stash.  I suspect that's why he and many of the better undrafted players weren't taken in the 2nd.   

16 - Justin Anderson  -  Better all around player than RHJ.  RHJ's offense just too limited.   
28 - Kevon Looney  -  His upside is worth the risk
33 - Richaun Holmes  -  Not a Mickey fan. 
45 - Arturas Gudaitis    -  Best big draft and stash available 

« Reply #17 on: June 28, 2015, 01:20:16 PM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 386
I would have gone with:

28 RJ Hunter
33 Jordan Mickey
45 Robert Upshaw

For me this is the best non-Rozier alternative (except for Upshaw at 45)

Before the draft I wanted Portis, Dekker or RHJ. I now think Danny did better with Rozier, though I still consider RHJ one who has a chance to make Danny and a few others regret...
RHJ will be a major defender and spark plug. 

I'd be really curious to know if Danny would have gone with Hunter at 16 over Dekker and Portis (and others) if he hadn't felt he had to use the 16 on Rozier.  Would he have taken Justin Anderson over Hunter at 16?  I can only guess yes but no idea...Hunter is probably a better fit with the system run by the Celtics?

I was intrigued with Jaiteh, for 45, but he went undrafted so maybe that was off base...

I'd have gone with Norman Powell over Upshaw.
Jaiteh said he didn't want to be a Euro stash.  I suspect that's why he and many of the better undrafted players weren't taken in the 2nd.   

16 - Justin Anderson  -  Better all around player than RHJ.  RHJ's offense just too limited.   
28 - Kevon Looney  -  His upside is worth the risk
33 - Richaun Holmes  -  Not a Mickey fan. 
45 - Arturas Gudaitis    -  Best big draft and stash available

First non-Hunter redo.  TP for the courage!
I like Holmes too.  Though at 33 I preferred Mickey.

Anyway that's a tough athletic redo with no guards and therefore would have made a lot of C's fans pretty happy I'm guessing...Hopefully it's confidence about Tobias Harris that kept the C's from taking Justing Anderson...(along with the love of Rozier).

« Reply #18 on: June 28, 2015, 01:26:31 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Dekker, Harrell, Andrew Harrison, Dakari Johnson.

I echo what somebody else said earlier about Dekker and Rozier being on a similar tier, so you use the pick on a position of greater need.

I always liked Harrell, and using second round picks on role players from Kentucky seems like good value, since those guys might have had much more illustrious careers as featured players on less talented college teams.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #19 on: June 28, 2015, 01:32:13 PM »

Offline krumeto

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 72
16 RHJ - same positives as stated by others
28 RJ Hunter
33 Mickey
45 Satnam Singh (stash in the D League)
"We do so many defensive drills in practice, I come home and I'm putting the press on my woman, denying her the ball.
Y'all are laughing, but it's sad. I go home and deny the wing."

« Reply #20 on: June 28, 2015, 01:47:57 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
Well, for the record, I don't think much separates any of the picks after about 13/14, the draft really dropped off in talent in that range.  So with that said, any of these players probably have just as much of a chance as the others at sticking with a roster in the NBA.  But if it were up to me I would have picked the following:

16- Rondae Hollis-Jefferson
28- Montrezl Harrell
33- Dakari Johnson
45- Robert Upshaw

« Reply #21 on: June 28, 2015, 02:18:36 PM »

Offline TheTruthFot18

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 263
  • Truth Juice
I would have gone with:

28 RJ Hunter
33 Jordan Mickey
45 Robert Upshaw

Wanted all of them. Except if we re-sign Crowder RHJ would be redundant. Dekker would've been good.
The Nets will finish with the worst record and the Celtics will end up with the 4th pick.

- Me (sometime in January)

--------------------------------------------------------

Guess I was wrong (May 23rd)

« Reply #22 on: June 28, 2015, 02:21:01 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Well, for the record, I don't think much separates any of the picks after about 13/14, the draft really dropped off in talent in that range.  So with that said, any of these players probably have just as much of a chance as the others at sticking with a roster in the NBA.  But if it were up to me I would have picked the following:

28- Montrezl Harrell
33- Dakari Johnson
45- Robert Upshaw

3 out of 4 guys , would not fit under CBS system

« Reply #23 on: June 28, 2015, 02:24:56 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
I like the picks but I would of done

16-  Hunter
28-  Mickey
33- Connaughton
45- Thornton

I don't like Rozier stats (inefficient) for last season but he helped Louisville get to the elite 8 without alot of help

Exhibit A of the overreaction against Ainge. Put the pitchfork down.

So you don't like Rozier's stats so much that you would trade him, straight up, for Pat Connaughton? That's essentially what you're doing here.

Ainge picked who he considered the BPA and best value at each position. I have zero problem with the picks. The problem I have is that he waited too long to trade the picks and was stuck using them once everybody fell in love with players. Picks are nice trade sweeteners during the season and at the trade deadline, but too close to draft night teams zero in on prospects they like and it's tough to move up (as we saw).

Hopefully Danny learns this lesson in time for the 2016 draft, or we'll end up with 6 draft picks. The bright side of this strategy is a better chance of hitting on a solid player.

Actually, it is even harder to trade picks early, especially to trade up, because the team trading down wants to see what may fall their way first.  I think Ainge (dad and son) both mentioned this a week or so ago...

« Reply #24 on: June 28, 2015, 02:28:43 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182

28- Montrezl Harrell
33- Dakari Johnson
45- Robert Upshaw

I'm curious what makes you think Harris, Dakari, or Upshaw a bad fit for CBS's system, when you clearly think Mickey is such a great one?

I agree about RHJ -- hard to fit a non-shooting wing into Brad's system.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #25 on: June 28, 2015, 02:31:47 PM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 420
Dekker
Looney (if medical on hip is bad then Hunter)
Mickey
D johnson

I take issue with the Rozier pick but at the same time I commend him to sticking to his tiers. If rozier was the last guy left in the higher tier then DA did the right thing not drafting for need.
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #26 on: June 28, 2015, 02:43:45 PM »

Offline chilidawg

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 261
Anderson
Looney
Mickey (Hunter if still available)
Some big, maybe Dakari Johnson.

« Reply #27 on: June 28, 2015, 02:44:56 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce

28- Montrezl Harrell
33- Dakari Johnson
45- Robert Upshaw

I'm curious what makes you think Harris, Dakari, or Upshaw a bad fit for CBS's system, when you clearly think Mickey is such a great one?

I agree about RHJ -- hard to fit a non-shooting wing into Brad's system.

Mickey can shoot the mid range and make it on a consistent basis. Harrell , Dakari can't shoot.  Harrell got better last season but he was streaky and late in games had zero confidence in shooting the ball.

Upshaw redflags outside of basketball is what does not fit under CBS.  CBS stated he wanted to bring in "good people" on top of them being skilled.   This is a reason why alot of other teams bypassed on Upshaw. His medical condition made it worse

Mickey has a good bbiq, team comes first mentality, on top of the other things he brings to the table

« Reply #28 on: June 28, 2015, 02:47:40 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
watch LSU vs Kentucky and Mickey outplayed Dakari and Lyles . Lyles barely got to play

Kentucky had to overplay the trees

« Reply #29 on: June 28, 2015, 02:57:39 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544

28- Montrezl Harrell
33- Dakari Johnson
45- Robert Upshaw

Aren't you the same poster who was adamantly advocating the Celtics draft Aaron Gordon with their lottery pick?

Talk about a bad fit, and a bad player.

But besides that, I don't buy the notion these guys (outside of maybe RHJ) would be a bad fit for Brad's "system".  And on the topic of Brad's "system", I'm of the opinion that if a coach cannot adjust his system to players he has, he should not be an NBA coach.  In the NBA talent trumps all, so when drafting, you draft the best available players, not players who "fit" some coach's system.