Author Topic: Draft redo for the record  (Read 9456 times)

Draft redo for the record
« on: June 27, 2015, 03:32:34 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
OK so lots of us don't like the draft so for the record, who would you have taken (no trades) at each pick given what was available?

I'd go Dekker 16, Hunter 28, Mikey 33, DJ 45.

Re: Draft redo for the record
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2015, 03:46:59 PM »

Offline Forza Juventus

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 70
I would have gone with:

16 Rondae Hollis-Jefferson
28 RJ Hunter
33 Jordan Mickey
45 Robert Upshaw
Azzurri | Juventus | Boston Celtics | Kentucky Basketball

"All the negativity that’s on Celticsblog sucks. I’ve been around when Kyrie Irving was criticized. I’ve been around when Al Horford was insulted. And it stinks. It makes the greatest team, greatest fans in the world, lousy."

Celticsblog=sports radio

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2015, 04:13:19 PM »

Offline A Future of Stevens

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 486
16. Jerian Grant
28. RJ Hunter
33. Josh Richardson
45. Norman Powell

I feel Ainge's biggest mistake was not sticking to his guns and drafting 4 guards instead of just 3.

All kidding aside, I guess my redraft would be

16. Justin Anderson (I don't think Rozier will be the worst pick in hindsight)
28. Chris McCullough (again, Hunter will pan out nicely, but is redundant at SG after taking Anderson at 16)
33. Mickey (best option at the spot most likely)
45. Dakari (personally don't really like him, but taking a flyer on a 7 footer can't be any more ridiculous than drafting a 4th pg for the team)
#JKJB

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2015, 04:17:57 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2666
  • bammokja
i trust danny in general, so i would keep his first picks, but change the second round:

rozier
hunter
wood
upshaw
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2015, 06:37:05 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
I like the picks but I would of done

16-  Hunter
28-  Mickey
33- Connaughton
45- Thornton

I don't like Rozier stats (inefficient) for last season but he helped Louisville get to the elite 8 without alot of help

« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2015, 09:47:55 PM »

Offline primetime

• Neemias Queta
  • Tommy Points: 5

16-  Hunter
28-  Mickey
33- Connaughton
45- Thornton

I don't like Rozier stats (inefficient) for last season but he helped Louisville get to the elite 8 without alot of help

Exhibit A of the overreaction against Ainge. Put the pitchfork down.

So you don't like Rozier's stats so much that you would trade him, straight up, for Pat Connaughton? That's essentially what you're doing here.

Ainge picked who he considered the BPA and best value at each position. I have zero problem with the picks. The problem I have is that he waited too long to trade the picks and was stuck using them once everybody fell in love with players. Picks are nice trade sweeteners during the season and at the trade deadline, but too close to draft night teams zero in on prospects they like and it's tough to move up (as we saw).

Hopefully Danny learns this lesson in time for the 2016 draft, or we'll end up with 6 draft picks. The bright side of this strategy is a better chance of hitting on a solid player.

« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2015, 09:53:47 PM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 386

16-  Hunter
28-  Mickey
33- Connaughton
45- Thornton

Exhibit A of the overreaction against Ainge. Put the pitchfork down.

So you don't like Rozier's stats so much that you would trade him, straight up, for Pat Connaughton? That's essentially what you're doing here.

Ainge picked who he considered the BPA and best value at each position. I have zero problem with the picks. The problem I have is that he waited too long to trade the picks and was stuck using them once everybody fell in love with players. Picks are nice trade sweeteners during the season and at the trade deadline, but too close to draft night teams zero in on prospects they like and it's tough to move up (as we saw).

Hopefully Danny learns this lesson in time for the 2016 draft, or we'll end up with 6 draft picks. The bright side of this strategy is a better chance of hitting on a solid player.

You quoted one of the least pitchforky posts I've seen.  You are needed in other threads sir, where Ainge and Rozier are truly under attack...

« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2015, 09:56:22 PM »

Offline Sketch5

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280
OK so lots of us don't like the draft so for the record, who would you have taken (no trades) at each pick given what was available?

I'd go Dekker 16, Hunter 28, Mikey 33, DJ 45.

Dekker may have gotten the nod, but he didn't want to go against Anderson in the work out in Boston from what I've read on the boards. Right there is a concern about the mental toughness of Dekker, were Tozier brought it in both work outs.

It's kinda like how PP doesn't have the elite athletics that Jeff Green has, but is ten times the player because he fears no one and no situation. Not saying Tozier is going to be PP, but has that mental make up that can will him to be better. And with Dekker if he's a Jeff Green type of mentality, he may be out of the league in a few years.

I may be wrong on Dekker but opting out of a work out because of fear of being owned by an other player raise a flag. A yellow one. :)

« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2015, 09:59:35 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I'll say...

Bobby Portis
RJ Hunter
Dakari Johnson
Robert Upshaw

I think that we've got to gamble on size.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2015, 10:00:32 PM »

Offline max215

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 624
I would have gone with:

28 RJ Hunter
33 Jordan Mickey
45 Robert Upshaw

This
Isaiah, you were lightning in a bottle.

DKC Clippers

« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2015, 10:14:28 PM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
I'll say...

Bobby Portis
RJ Hunter
Dakari Johnson
Robert Upshaw

I think that we've got to gamble on size.

I've literally never seen Roy write someyhing that wasn't spot on. He can literally turn opinion into fact with a few key presses in his PJs. Geez Louise.

Edit: poorly worded. To clarify, the keys are wearing PJs.
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2015, 10:14:42 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
#16 Dekker

If anything, Dekker and Rozier had to be on the same tier on the C's board. I can't imagine Rozier being higher. So I would go for the greater need (SF), with Anderson and Portis in the mix for consideration.

#28 Hunter

Love this pick. He provides a need (shooting) and has the ability to create/facilitate offense, like a Jamal Crawford, with his solid ballhandling and experience doing exactly that in college.

#33 Brown

I like Brown as a 3 (44.7% the last 2 seasons) and D guy (nearly 6-9 w/ a 6-11 wingspan) and those things transfer to the NBA. I question Mickey's offense, ability to bang down low with his smaller stature/lack of bulk, and if his college shotblocking well translate in the NBA. The track record for undersized college players having success blocking shots is not good. If Mickey follows that trend he'll be out of the league soon.

#45 Upshaw

Pure upside pick, with little risk at this stage of the draft. Keep in mind that Colton Iverson was taken 53rd just two season ago. Cliff Alexander is also in the mix for consideration.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2015, 10:22:20 PM by Eddie20 »

« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2015, 10:36:24 PM »

Online BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
I'm going to trust Ainge and leave everything the same, except Upshaw with the last pick. That said hope I'm wrong so the Lakers dont get another asset.

« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2015, 11:05:34 PM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 386
I would have gone with:

28 RJ Hunter
33 Jordan Mickey
45 Robert Upshaw

For me this is the best non-Rozier alternative (except for Upshaw at 45)

Before the draft I wanted Portis, Dekker or RHJ. I now think Danny did better with Rozier, though I still consider RHJ one who has a chance to make Danny and a few others regret...
RHJ will be a major defender and spark plug. 

I'd be really curious to know if Danny would have gone with Hunter at 16 over Dekker and Portis (and others) if he hadn't felt he had to use the 16 on Rozier.  Would he have taken Justin Anderson over Hunter at 16?  I can only guess yes but no idea...Hunter is probably a better fit with the system run by the Celtics?

I was intrigued with Jaiteh, for 45, but he went undrafted so maybe that was off base...

I'd have gone with Norman Powell over Upshaw.

« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2015, 12:08:08 AM »

Offline NWCeltic

• Neemias Queta
  • Tommy Points: 3
16 - Justin Anderson
28 - RJ Hunter
33 - Robert Upshaw
45 - Christian Wood