Author Topic: Undrafted Texas forward Jonathan Holmes to Celtics' Summer League  (Read 8298 times)

Re: Undrafted Texas forward Jonathan Holmes to Celtics' Summer League
« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2015, 08:54:21 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
Surprised J.Holmes went undrafted. Looked liked a good bet to make it in the league as a scrappy combo forward off the bench. I would be happy to sign him here if Gerald Wallace is moved on. If Wallace stays, I see no point in having both of them.

Whether Wallace is on the roster or not seems very very irrelevant to me.

Agreed, moreover they're not even the same type of player.

I like him too but there are only so many roster spots to go around

PG: Smart, Thomas, (Pressey or Thorton)
SG: Bradley, Rozier, Hunter
SF: (Crowder), J.Young, G.Wallace
PF: Sully, Olynyk, (Jerebko or Bass)
 C: Zeller, (free agent), Mickey

That is a 15 man roster right there. It's not going to be so easy to find him a roster spot.

So that is with one free agent (center), keeping Crowder and one of the backup PFs & keep a 3rd string PG. They could go without a 3rd string PG. Bradley and Rozier can play PG so a 3rd string PG is not a necessity. Or let both the free agent PFs go. Let Mickey be both the 3rd string PF and 3rd string C although I think that would leave the team short of big man depth.

If Ainge manages to sign one of those high priced SFs (Middleton, T.Harris), that will make it even harder to find a roster spot for Holmes.

I think Holmes should be pegged as a 3rd string SF/PF which is G.Wallace's role on this Celtics team. I am not wild about using two spots on a pair of a 3rd string combo forwards. Surely one is enough. (edit: I suppose you could have both of them and let Jerebko + Bass leave. The use G-Wallace and/or J-Holmes be the third string PF. Both guys can give minutes there)

Whole situation seems kinda awkward.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2015, 09:03:47 AM by Who »

« Reply #16 on: June 27, 2015, 09:15:11 AM »

Offline viulo

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 11
Surprised J.Holmes went undrafted. Looked liked a good bet to make it in the league as a scrappy combo forward off the bench. I would be happy to sign him here if Gerald Wallace is moved on. If Wallace stays, I see no point in having both of them.

That is a 15 man roster right there. It's not going to be so easy to find him a roster spot.

So that is with one free agent (center), keeping Crowder and one of the backup PFs & keep a 3rd string PG. They could go without a 3rd string PG. Bradley and Rozier can play PG so a 3rd string PG is not a necessity. Or let both the free agent PFs go. Let Mickey be both the 3rd string PF and 3rd string C although I think that would leave the team short of big man depth.

If Ainge manages to sign one of those high priced SFs (Middleton, T.Harris), that will make it even harder to find a roster spot for Holmes.

I think Holmes should be pegged as a 3rd string SF/PF which is G.Wallace's role on this Celtics team. I am not wild about using two spots on a pair of a 3rd string combo forwards. Surely one is enough. (edit: I suppose you could have both of them and let Jerebko + Bass leave. The use G-Wallace and/or J-Holmes be the third string PF. Both guys can give minutes there)

And you're missing Evan Turner...
I don't think Pressey, Thonton and Holmes stand a chance, even if Ainge manages to trade 4 for 1...

« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2015, 09:26:08 AM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818

It's a roster spot dilemma, rather than a personnel dilemma concerning Wallace, that's why I said that Wallace being here was irrelevant (it's the roster spot, not the alluded replicated skill).

That said, I really hope Ainge doesn't bring back either Bass or Jerebko. The only way I'd consider bringing them back is because we landed some legit FA and want to contend, otherwise let them go and move on. Rather keep one of this young players around with a non-guaranteed.

Pressey is 50/50 gone and I think Thornton won't be around the Celtics long enough to be in the decision in my opinion.

And of course, there's the Turner spot which you forgot, so we'll see.

But yeah, it's a roster spot dilemma whether Wallace is here or not.

« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2015, 09:28:35 AM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.

We still need to know for sure if he can make it.

I love his versatility and I hope he makes the cut. If we need roster save, it has to come via trade. It all comes full circle to the guards. We can't be keeping that many guards, were going to have tonteade one or two of them at some point.
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #19 on: June 27, 2015, 09:33:50 AM »

Offline cltc5

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 445
John Holmes....best name in pro sports.

LOL!

And he's a big :-X

« Reply #20 on: June 27, 2015, 09:37:12 AM »

Offline celts55

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 570
Sucks that Upshaw went with the lakers

Does it matter who he plays for is the summer league? He's just being showcased. Anyone can still sign him, right?

« Reply #21 on: June 27, 2015, 09:38:01 AM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
Very very nice pickup. Ready for 5 rookies in the lineup next season?

Yeah, the Red Claws are going to be really good this coming season.

« Reply #22 on: June 27, 2015, 09:50:37 AM »

Offline mr. dee

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 597
I have a feeling that Danny will let Bass, Gigi and Jerebko walk away. Releases Pressey and will probably stash either/both Mickey and Thornton.

So the remaining players will be:

Thomas
Smart
Bradley
Rozier
Hunter
Zeller
Wallace
Sully
KO
Crowder
Young

We still both have roster and cap space. Whoever big FA will sign here, Danny will try to move assets and players.

« Reply #23 on: June 29, 2015, 12:47:36 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Good looking jump shot.  Looks like a guy we can sign to a minor deal and stash in the D league .  Watching the DE scouting report, I like his versatility on both ends and top notch motor/effort level.  We will see how he does in the SL

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gCdVoyAlHPQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fq_thr7eV7w

« Reply #24 on: June 29, 2015, 06:12:06 PM »

Offline LGC88

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 167
John Holmes....best name in pro sports.

LOL!

Just google it, oh my... lol

« Reply #25 on: June 29, 2015, 06:32:20 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
Due to a concussion he suffered late Jan/early Feb, his stats took a big dip (especially FG per).  If he declared after his junior season (very good stats) , he def would of gone in the early 2nd round, possibly late 1st.

I expect him to play hard for the Celts at the SL. 
« Last Edit: June 29, 2015, 06:42:07 PM by triboy16f »

« Reply #26 on: July 01, 2015, 02:05:01 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce

« Reply #27 on: July 01, 2015, 02:13:22 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
not the sharpest video. 2nd half, Holmes goes off.   

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eddz22R-6ig

« Reply #28 on: July 01, 2015, 03:18:00 AM »

Offline The Rondo Show

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 364
  • Hook 'Em
I've attended every home game J Holmes has played in the last two seasons. This guy will make an NBA roster somewhere, just not sure it's with us.
DKC Suns

« Reply #29 on: July 01, 2015, 03:43:39 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
I've attended every home game J Holmes has played in the last two seasons. This guy will make an NBA roster somewhere, just not sure it's with us.

If the Celts can't sign a big name FA , and Holmes does well in the SL, why not invite him for pre season

One thing I noticed about Holmes , is his willingness to play tough D. CBS is going to like that