Author Topic: Ainge: Teams will regret passing on my offers, I offered "too much"  (Read 7778 times)

Re: Ainge: Teams will regret passing on my offers, I offered "too much"
« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2015, 08:10:56 PM »

Offline GreenWarrior

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 228
I agree with ainge. I can't believe Sac. took WCS, the knicks should never have drafted Porzingas and Winslow should never have dropped to the heat.

there's a reason why some teams are always in the lottery...

« Reply #16 on: June 27, 2015, 08:33:16 PM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
simply sucks that winning an extra few games cost us Justise Winslow.

Hindsight is very convenient though.
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2015, 08:34:41 PM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
I agree with ainge. I can't believe Sac. took WCS, the knicks should never have drafted Porzingas and Winslow should never have dropped to the heat.

there's a reason why some teams are always in the lottery...

Not sure why you think Porzingis is a reach at #4.
Without Towns or Okafur in the draft there's a strong possibility he goes number one.
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2015, 09:20:54 PM »

Offline GrandTheftRondo

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 167
It continues to be hilarious how people are so surprised that nobody wants Ainge's stable of worthless picks. Get used to it folks. This will be a reoccurring theme.

« Reply #19 on: June 28, 2015, 12:12:27 AM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
I don't blame Danny for being frustrated, but you can't blame a team for choosing quality over quantity.   It's going to be a struggle.  If we had Winslow, we wouldn't have traded him for the collection of scrubs we ended up drafting.

He's probably frustrated because he thinks more than half the GMs in the league would have taken his trade offer.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #20 on: June 28, 2015, 12:20:05 AM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136
It continues to be hilarious how people are so surprised that nobody wants Ainge's stable of worthless picks. Get used to it folks. This will be a reoccurring theme.

Disagree, If you were Charlotte I would hope you take that deal and not draft Frank the Tank.

« Reply #21 on: June 28, 2015, 12:26:18 AM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja
you take one case, charlotte, and extrapolate it to "nobody." quite a leap of logic there. charlotte may have said no, but that does not mean every single GM would have said no. i trust danny's reading of the market more than folks here at cb.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #22 on: June 28, 2015, 01:26:54 AM »

Offline GreenPride17

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 4
The "Godfather" trade for Okafor was probably Smart and all of the Brooklyn picks

« Reply #23 on: June 28, 2015, 01:33:23 AM »

Offline Sixth Man

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 82
Can't say Ainge didn't try. He almost made a possibly-stupid move. Fortunately, the Bobcats are a horrible franchise. As others have said, if they turned down all those picks to take Winslow, maybe it's justifiable. But for Kaminksy? Good lord. Way to go, Jordan. This might be worse than MJ not trading Kwame Brown for Elton Brand in Brand's healthy days.

Bless MJ and Rick Cho (who's really in charge in Charlotte??) for saving Danny from making a stupid deal.  I love Winslow, too, and even really like Kaminsky, but it's fairly boggles that they turned down 4 1sts and 2 2nds for that pick. 

« Reply #24 on: June 28, 2015, 01:46:12 AM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
Why does MJ suck so bad as a GM?

My theory is that he wants to prove his genius as a GM/scout by selecting guys a bit off the grid/earlier than expected with the expectation (or less, hope) that they will pan out. Dude doesn't seem to have transitioned to life outside of bball. Makes sense, too... just think that's what is bogging him down
« Last Edit: June 28, 2015, 03:48:43 AM by tarheelsxxiii »
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #25 on: June 28, 2015, 02:19:42 AM »

Offline colincb

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 501
From what I'm seeing there is a fair amount of disbelief among pundits that CHA turned down 4 firsts for Kaminsky even to the point that some doubt that 4 picks were offered:

RedSawxFan have the #Celtics made the example that draft picks are not as valuable as they're made out to be? 6 picks for #9 & declined?

Steve Kyler ?@stevekylerNBA 3h3 hours ago
I am doubting the trade offer -- no GM turns away 6 unprotected picks -- so what was really offered? 

I really like Kaminsky and feel 9 was very reasonable, but I'd take the 4 firsts if that was the offer every day of the week. You have to think Kaminsky's the one who's sliding to justify turning away that big a haul.

« Reply #26 on: June 28, 2015, 02:21:23 AM »

Offline ImShakHeIsShaq

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 804
What happens if Kaminsky is really good?

Also, just b/c no one took the deal doesn't mean our picks are trash. Besides people thinking they would pick a very good player, there could be many other reasons they didn't take the offer.
It takes me 3hrs to get to Miami and 1hr to get to Orlando... but I *SPIT* on their NBA teams! "Bless God and bless the (Celts)"-Lady GaGa (she said gays but she really meant Celts)

« Reply #27 on: June 28, 2015, 02:44:16 AM »

Offline Sixth Man

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 82

Also, just b/c no one took the deal doesn't mean our picks are trash. Besides people thinking they would pick a very good player, there could be many other reasons they didn't take the offer.

Exactly, thank you.  Many folks here are opining that the impasse between the Celts and Hornets is proof positive that our picks are worth nothing, but one could turn that around and claim that it is proof that current draft picks are extremely highly valued just before and during the draft intself. 

« Reply #28 on: June 28, 2015, 03:36:52 AM »

Offline colincb

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 501

I don't know about that.

Kaminsky was a very hot name on draft day and along with Russell becoming the favorite for the second pick was the biggest news Thursday before the draft. I think MJ fell in love.

If the 4 firsts without further protection offer was true, Ainge offered more than what the 9th pick would be worth. There's no combination of Boston firsts that wouldn't be. So effectively MJ was valuing Kaminsky as if he was a steal at 9.

If Kaminsky turns out to be an all-star, then MJ wins. If not, MJ loses. If Winslow turns out to be a an all-star we lose. If not, we win. My bet is neither turn out to be all stars or busts.

I would have been unhappy if 4 firsts were used on Winslow myself.

« Reply #29 on: June 28, 2015, 03:53:22 AM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389

I don't know about that.

Kaminsky was a very hot name on draft day and along with Russell becoming the favorite for the second pick was the biggest news Thursday before the draft. I think MJ fell in love.

If the 4 firsts without further protection offer was true, Ainge offered more than what the 9th pick would be worth. There's no combination of Boston firsts that wouldn't be. So effectively MJ was valuing Kaminsky as if he was a steal at 9.

If Kaminsky turns out to be an all-star, then MJ wins. If not, MJ loses. If Winslow turns out to be a an all-star we lose. If not, we win. My bet is neither turn out to be all stars or busts.

I would have been unhappy if 4 firsts were used on Winslow myself.

Aside from Towns and Okafor, I considered him the safest bet to be a long-time starter in the league. He has an upside to be better than that, too, so I wouldn't have minded the splurge at all. Probably was the right move, if MJ hadn't been high on cigar smoke.
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC