Author Topic: Danny Ainge offered 6 draft Picks to Charlotte for #9  (Read 2893 times)

Danny Ainge offered 6 draft Picks to Charlotte for #9
« on: June 26, 2015, 06:28:15 PM »

Offline JoeyAinge

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 4

Re: Danny Ainge offered 6 draft Picks to Charlotte for #9
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2015, 06:36:05 PM »

Offline bobbyv

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 32
Lol Ainge should be fired

« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2015, 06:39:57 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Well first of all, that just shows how little value those mid to late draft picks are worth.  This is why we are stuck in a tough spot. Nobody is giving up star prospects for a bunch or late 1sts

Second, it shows how incompetent the hornets are.  I think them and the kings are the two worst managed teams in the league. 

« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2015, 06:41:07 PM »

Offline bobbyv

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 32
Well first of all, that just shows how little value those mid to late draft picks are worth.  This is why we are stuck in a tough spot. Nobody is giving up star prospects for a bunch or late 1sts

Second, it shows how incompetent the hornets are.  I think them and the kings are the two worst managed teams in the league.
Agreed, hornets gm should be fired for running away with those picks.

« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2015, 06:46:27 PM »

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 277

Maybe less to do with value and more towards your second point

« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2015, 06:51:40 PM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 324
Not sure if I'd have liked this deal, but I can't believe Charlotte turned down a possible SIX draft picks in order to draft Frank Kaminsky.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2015, 06:53:28 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
Not sure if I'd have liked this deal, but I can't believe Charlotte turned down a possible SIX draft picks in order to draft Frank Kaminsky.

Ainge shouldn't be fired. I liked how aggressive he was, and I definitely think he wanted to at least get a wing.

I just can't believe the Hornets seriously drafted Frank Kaminsky at the lottery pick.... They already got Spencer Hawes...

If the Hornets were offered the same picks again, but went for Winslow, I would understand. Because at the time, Winslow was considered the best small forward prospect...
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2015, 06:55:37 PM »

Offline hodgy03038

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 440
  • Marcus Smart #1 Fan
Is any player you pick at 9 worth SIX 1st round picks?

Certainly not Kaminsky. As much as I hated our draft last night I am happier we didn't give six 1st rnd picks for a #9 player. Didn't we get Smart at #6 yet we seem to be offering him up to everyone and anyone. I would prefer to keep him and his toughness. I would prefer to deal Olynyk because he is soft & unreliable.

« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2015, 06:57:23 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182

You see the inherent contradiction in what you just said, right?

"All of these picks have so little value."

"The Hornets are so incompetent to turn down that offer."
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2015, 07:16:30 PM »

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 699

Ainge shouldn't be fired. I liked how aggressive he was, and I definitely think he wanted to at least get a wing.

I just can't believe the Hornets seriously drafted Frank Kaminsky at the lottery pick.... They already got Spencer Hawes...

If the Hornets were offered the same picks again, but went for Winslow, I would understand. Because at the time, Winslow was considered the best small forward prospect...

True, Kaminsky isnt worth 6 draft picks. Winslow might be, but Kaminsky no.

« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2015, 07:20:29 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386

Certainly not Kaminsky. As much as I hated our draft last night I am happier we didn't give six 1st rnd picks for a #9 player. Didn't we get Smart at #6 yet we seem to be offering him up to everyone and anyone. I would prefer to keep him and his toughness. I would prefer to deal Olynyk because he is soft & unreliable.

It was not 6 first round picks. At least two were second rounders.

« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2015, 07:55:37 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549

It wasn't 6 1st round picks.  It was potentially up to 4 1st rounders and possibly as many as 6 total pick.  If the report is true, I suspect the offer was #16, #28, Dallas 2016 (maybe the Memphis pick instead), Minn 2016 (likely two 2nd rounders) and another 2nd rounder.  That's a lot to turn down for the #9.  What is surprising is that none of our players (AB, KO or Sully) was involved?  Did Ainge put to much value on them or did Charlotte have no interest?  I tend to think the latter. 

« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2015, 08:09:58 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867

Lol

« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2015, 09:30:26 PM »

Offline get_banners

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 100
I feel a little better about our draft upon hearing this (and I suspected I would - with so much ammunition, I had to believe Ainge made very aggressive offers to move up). But you can only do so much if the other side is stupid in the bad way. Getting 4 1st round picks and 2 2nds is an insane haul for the 9th pick, and the Bobcats could have added a bunch of guys who could have been contributing role players starting this season. But...they are a terrible franchise for a reason.

« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2015, 12:58:33 AM »

Offline obnoxiousmime

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 258
It's an awful heavy price for the 9th pick unless you think Winslow is really going to be a star, in which case 4 probable mid-late rounders is a fair offer. Some thought Winslow should have been taken earlier so taking that into consideration the Celts' aggressiveness is justified.

Still, there might be an opportunity later to package those picks for something else valuable. Understandably, the Celtics felt a lot of pressure to do something big because they can't keep drafting so many young players each year, the roster size won't allow it. They may also know they won't be picking in the early lottery anytime soon and this was a shot at getting a top talent at a relatively late slot.

At some point they have to trade some of these middling picks and OK-but-not-great guys on their roster and acquire 2-3 actual star players. So far, nobody is falling for their quantity-not-quality pitch though.