Author Topic: Danny Should Say to Brad: Thanks for Costing Us Winslow, Dude  (Read 16655 times)

Re: Danny Should Say to Brad: Thanks for Costing Us Winslow, Dude
« Reply #60 on: June 28, 2015, 10:23:28 PM »

Offline Clench123

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 251
Brad Stevens' job is to win games.  Nothing more nothing less.

I always said when I left the Celtics, I could not go to heaven, because that would
 be a step down. I am pure 100 percent Celtic. I think if you slashed my wrists, my
 blood would’ve been green.  -  Bill "Greatest of All Time" Russell

« Reply #61 on: June 28, 2015, 10:34:00 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2666
  • bammokja
IMO Danny screwed up (in an attempt to grab Winslow) by only working with the Hornets .

Start earlier , call the pistons before their pick and see who they are interested in.  Have them pick Winslow.  Offer the Heat multiple picks and grab Johnson .

A decent chance either the Pistons or Heat would of said yes to 5 to 6 picks.
danny did all this according to reports coming from the media and different nba offices. honestly, i dont think ainge would have made it this far as a GM if he could not figure out that trying to find MORE than a single trade partner is a good idea.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #62 on: June 28, 2015, 10:39:21 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
Well he also has to try to make his players better at the end of the day than they were at the beginning.

He's on track in both regards

« Reply #63 on: June 28, 2015, 10:43:40 PM »

Offline Jonny CC

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 76
IMO Danny screwed up (in an attempt to grab Winslow) by only working with the Hornets .

Start earlier , call the pistons before their pick and see who they are interested in.  Have them pick Winslow.  Offer the Heat multiple picks and grab Johnson .

How do you know what he offered or didn't offer to other teams??
Before a game on Christmas against the Pacers, Bird told Chuck Person that he had a present for him. During the game, Bird shot a 3-pointer in front of Person. Immediately after releasing the ball, Bird said to Person, "Merry F!#*ing Christmas!" and then the shot went in.

« Reply #64 on: June 28, 2015, 10:48:11 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867

danny did all this according to reports coming from the media and different nba offices. honestly, i dont think ainge would have made it this far as a GM if he could not figure out that trying to find MORE than a single trade partner is a good idea.

I find it hard to believe not one but three teams would not take 5-6 picks (multiple 1sts) for a 8-10th pick

« Reply #65 on: June 28, 2015, 10:50:16 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
Well he also has to try to make his players better at the end of the day than they were at the beginning.

Coach has to be on the same page as the front office. Danny expressed disappointment about making the play-offs.  There are short term and long term goals in coaching.  You can improve players without damaging the value of your draft pick. He did not manage to achieve that.

« Reply #66 on: June 28, 2015, 10:55:58 PM »

Offline Jonny CC

• Jayson Tatum
I am not a fan of tanking. Can Philly be proud of what they have been doing? Are they done tanking or will they continue to tank so they can get lottery picks every year and never actually try to win. Is it their 20-year rebuilding plan?

I say Karma has already started for them with Embid.

Agreed.  The benefits of tanking is more overrated than the benefits of having a "rim protector". 

Are you saying having a rim protector is overrated?...

I just think that that value of a rim protector is overrated on this board.  It's a very tired buzzword.  A lot of people think you have to have a rim protector to be successful.  The NBA Finals this year proved that wrong.   

That might be a point, but using the Finals to make your point is foolishness.

You're absolutely right. Golden State did NOT reinvent the wheel. They still adequate size which helped in the finals including Bogut, Ezeli, Speights and Draymond Green also held his own in the paint when Lebron tried to attack the basket.

Point is even with the trio of Steph, Klay and Iggy, Golden State still had size and rim protectors which helped quite a bit.

In other words, all teams need an effective center to win a title

Agreed...but my point is that you don't need an elite Mutombo-type of "rim protector" to win a championship and Golden State proved it.  Green played very well but Bogut, Ezeli, and Speights are nothing special.  You could have replaced them with any number of backup centers and they still would have won the championship. They didn't win because of their domination at center.  And it definitely helped them that the Cavs had one play on offense...give the ball to Lebron so they didn't have to worry about anyone else.   
Before a game on Christmas against the Pacers, Bird told Chuck Person that he had a present for him. During the game, Bird shot a 3-pointer in front of Person. Immediately after releasing the ball, Bird said to Person, "Merry F!#*ing Christmas!" and then the shot went in.

« Reply #67 on: June 28, 2015, 11:07:10 PM »

Offline loco_91

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 145
I also wish we'd tanked a bit for Winslow. But if Ainge is mad, then his anger is very misplaced. Stevens did a good job and made the most of the roster he had. If Ainge wanted to tank, he shouldn't have traded for IT.

« Reply #68 on: June 28, 2015, 11:15:00 PM »

Offline Jonny CC

• Jayson Tatum
I also wish we'd tanked a bit for Winslow. But if Ainge is mad, then his anger is very misplaced. Stevens did a good job and made the most of the roster he had. If Ainge wanted to tank, he shouldn't have traded for IT.

....or zeller, or jerebko, or crowder or datome.  He made a lot of upgrades last year. 

« Reply #69 on: June 28, 2015, 11:26:45 PM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
I was going top comment, but the whole concept of this thread is silly...so I won't.

« Reply #70 on: June 29, 2015, 12:30:35 AM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2666
  • bammokja
I was going top comment, but the whole concept of this thread is silly...so I won't.
and yet it has dragged on for five pages. amazing isnt it?
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #71 on: June 29, 2015, 12:35:18 AM »

Online SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 998
Holy crap we haven't even seen any of them play a second in the NBA and we hear people ranking them as the best draft of the decade or something. I heard the same thing last summer because of the Wiggins/Parker/Embiid hype and apparently it died down throughout the season.

I expect the same for this year.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #72 on: June 29, 2015, 07:31:15 AM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254

Coach has to be on the same page as the front office. Danny expressed disappointment about making the play-offs.  There are short term and long term goals in coaching.  You can improve players without damaging the value of your draft pick. He did not manage to achieve that.
I bet Danny loved it when he called around and suddenly Avery Bradley and T Zeller and various other guys all had actual trade value around the league. Maybe because the league saw them winning and beating their own teams.

« Reply #73 on: June 29, 2015, 07:41:11 AM »

Offline Future Celtics Owner

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 191
  • Celtic's only raise championship Banners
Danny should have waived Bass, Jonas, Crowder, Gigi right after the trade deadline. Its just as much, if not more, Danny's fault.

« Reply #74 on: June 29, 2015, 07:48:21 AM »

Offline celts55

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 574
How exactly would the dude tank anyway? Go into the locker room and say "okay boys go out there and pley like crap"?
I mean, why would players not play as hard as possibly? Do they really want someone like Winslow taking their job the next season?
I'm serious, besides playing scrubs in the 4th quarter, which I can't see thembeing so blantant, how do you do it?
The Celtics played above their talent, and I'm proud of them. I would never be happy with a team that didn't play to the best of their ability.
Just my opinion.