Author Topic: Danny Should Say to Brad: Thanks for Costing Us Winslow, Dude  (Read 16648 times)

Re: Danny Should Say to Brad: Thanks for Costing Us Winslow, Dude
« Reply #45 on: June 27, 2015, 11:11:44 PM »

Offline Jonny CC

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 76
Brad Stevens wanted to show how good a coach he is by beating out teams (Miami, Charlotte) that were injured and probably decided to tank, costing us the chance of getting a Winslow with the 10th pick.   Danny reportedly offered three 1st round picks to trade up to the 9th spot (Charlotte's) just to get Winslow.  Danny works his butt off wheeling and dealing to accumulate the assets (picks), and Brad decides not to play along, and sneaks into the playoffs, to build character and experience for guys many of whom won't be with the team next season, or for the long term.  Just to experience getting swept by the Cavs. 

I wonder what Danny is thinking right now about Brad.  I'd be kind of upset if I were him.

We now have a glut of guards, just like we have a glut of picks.  No one will offer fair value, because they smell blood: They will only offer pennies on the dollar because they know Danny is desperate to dump his overstock of guards. 

We went into full tank mode the wrong year. The top 10 picks in this draft are much better than last year's.  Justin Winslow went 10th!!

Ainge and Stevens need to get on the same page, before we waste more of our precious "assets."

We have no real assets and wasted draft picks the last two years because we were afraid to tank. The Tank needs to be embraced, just like Philadelphia.

I'm hoping coach k retires so Stevens leaves. He isn't the coach we need for tanking

Tanking shouldn't happen and won't happen here so you may want to go join the Sixersblog if you want the Tank. 
Simple question...do you really think that the Sixers will win a championship before the Celtics??  Tanking doesn't guarantee anything.   There have been a bunch of teams who have had multiple lottery picks and still suck.  You need a lot more than lottery picks to win a championship.
Before a game on Christmas against the Pacers, Bird told Chuck Person that he had a present for him. During the game, Bird shot a 3-pointer in front of Person. Immediately after releasing the ball, Bird said to Person, "Merry F!#*ing Christmas!" and then the shot went in.

« Reply #46 on: June 27, 2015, 11:13:44 PM »

Offline Jonny CC

• Jayson Tatum
I am not a fan of tanking. Can Philly be proud of what they have been doing? Are they done tanking or will they continue to tank so they can get lottery picks every year and never actually try to win. Is it their 20-year rebuilding plan?

I say Karma has already started for them with Embid.

Agreed.  The benefits of tanking is more overrated than the benefits of having a "rim protector". 
Before a game on Christmas against the Pacers, Bird told Chuck Person that he had a present for him. During the game, Bird shot a 3-pointer in front of Person. Immediately after releasing the ball, Bird said to Person, "Merry F!#*ing Christmas!" and then the shot went in.

« Reply #47 on: June 27, 2015, 11:31:32 PM »

Offline GreenGoggles

• Jrue Holiday
I am not a fan of tanking. Can Philly be proud of what they have been doing? Are they done tanking or will they continue to tank so they can get lottery picks every year and never actually try to win. Is it their 20-year rebuilding plan?

Agreed.  The benefits of tanking is more overrated than the benefits of having a "rim protector". 

Are you saying having a rim protector is overrated?...

« Reply #48 on: June 27, 2015, 11:58:45 PM »

Offline Jonny CC

• Jayson Tatum

I just think that that value of a rim protector is overrated on this board.  It's a very tired buzzword.  A lot of people think you have to have a rim protector to be successful.  The NBA Finals this year proved that wrong.   I will admit that a guy like Gobert or Ant Davis can be very valuable and a game changer defensively, but I just don't think it's the "be all end all" key to success.   

« Reply #49 on: June 28, 2015, 09:40:59 PM »

Offline vjcsmoke

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
It is Brad's job to win.
It is DA's job to build the team.
Those are two separate things.

« Reply #50 on: June 28, 2015, 09:44:55 PM »

Offline colincb

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 501
Danny is thanking his lucky stars for getting Stevens.

« Reply #51 on: June 28, 2015, 09:47:48 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
Brad Stevens wanted to show how good a coach he is by beating out teams (Miami, Charlotte) that were injured and probably decided to tank, costing us the chance of getting a Winslow with the 10th pick.   Danny reportedly offered three 1st round picks to trade up to the 9th spot (Charlotte's) just to get Winslow.  Danny works his butt off wheeling and dealing to accumulate the assets (picks), and Brad decides not to play along, and sneaks into the playoffs, to build character and experience for guys many of whom won't be with the team next season, or for the long term.  Just to experience getting swept by the Cavs. 

I wonder what Danny is thinking right now about Brad.  I'd be kind of upset if I were him.

We now have a glut of guards, just like we have a glut of picks.  No one will offer fair value, because they smell blood: They will only offer pennies on the dollar because they know Danny is desperate to dump his overstock of guards. 

We went into full tank mode the wrong year. The top 10 picks in this draft are much better than last year's.  Justin Winslow went 10th!!

Ainge and Stevens need to get on the same page, before we waste more of our precious "assets."

Sorry but the premise of this thread is ridiculous!

First off, you have no idea how good Winslow is going to be. This is not Kevin Durant we are talking about.

He could just as easily be a bust as he could be a star.

Making it into the playoffs should always take priority over acquiring a number 10 overall draft pick, who's NBA future is totally uncertain.

« Reply #52 on: June 28, 2015, 10:04:00 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
Coaches have relatively little to do with winning and losing compared to the players on the roster.

So, the players on Boston's roster last season were substantially better than the players in Charlotte, Orlando, Brooklyn, Philly, Miami, New York, Indiana, Detroit, Sacramento, Utah, Phoenix, LA, Minnesota and Denver?  That doesn't seem to jibe with the general attitude around here toward the team.

Mike

The Celtics had really good chemistry, a lot of luck, a good regular season game plan, and a whole bunch of guys playing for their next pay check.  They also had quality depth.  All of those things helped them win more games than expected.  They were also very well coached, which helped too.

Having depth and good chemistry is different than being able to say that the best two or three players on the roster can stand up well next to the best players on the other teams around the league.  That's where the Celts fall short, and that's a big part of why they were completely hopeless in the playoffs, where elite players make the biggest difference.

The Celtics won 40 games last season, sure, but if you were to judge their roster based on the collection of talent at the top -- i.e. how good are the best players on the team -- they had one of the least talented rosters in the league.  Indeed, they were right there with the Lakers, Timberwolves, Knicks, and Nuggets.

Personally, I don't think that's the best way to judge a roster.  Building a team is about a lot more than a straight accounting of talent.

Respectfully disagree.

IMO, your top 1 or 2 players needs to be on par with the best player on every team in the NBA instead of having a roster full of mediocre players. If that's the case, then you essentially have the NBA version of the Bad News Bears.

Perhaps I misunderstood you and if so I apologize. I guess my point is we need to have 1 or 2 go to guys who are really good and can lead a team (think when we had PP and KG.) Right now we don't have any of those guys.

I am not saying we don't have any talented players because Smart, Isaiah and Crowder are certainly talented. But, I am not sure any of them are go to players.....yet.

« Reply #53 on: June 28, 2015, 10:07:45 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867

Sorry but the premise of this thread is ridiculous!

First off, you have no idea how good Winslow is going to be. This is not Kevin Durant we are talking about.

He could just as easily be a bust as he could be a star.

Making it into the playoffs should always take priority over acquiring a number 10 overall draft pick, who's NBA future is totally uncertain.

I agree with some of your points. But there is a very low chance Winslow will be a bust.  Worse case your looking at a more explosive, skilled version of Crowder. 

Heat scored big time, having Winslow fall to their lap.

« Reply #54 on: June 28, 2015, 10:11:03 PM »

Offline Robb

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 128

I just think that that value of a rim protector is overrated on this board.  It's a very tired buzzword.  A lot of people think you have to have a rim protector to be successful.  The NBA Finals this year proved that wrong.   

That might be a point, but using the Finals to make your point is foolishness.
We're the ones we've been waiting for.

« Reply #55 on: June 28, 2015, 10:11:21 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
And then Steve could say "Don't worry. I do this very unusual thing in the NBA called 'player development' and we have this guy named James Young that you drafted that could easily turn out to be better than Winslow or whatever player that will quickly be yesterday's news next year".

« Reply #56 on: June 28, 2015, 10:12:07 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
IMO Danny screwed up (in an attempt to grab Winslow) by only working with the Hornets .

Start earlier , call the pistons before their pick and see who they are interested in.  Have them pick Winslow.  Offer the Heat multiple picks and grab Johnson .

A decent chance either the Pistons or Heat would of said yes to 5 to 6 picks.

« Reply #57 on: June 28, 2015, 10:15:34 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson

I just think that that value of a rim protector is overrated on this board.  It's a very tired buzzword.  A lot of people think you have to have a rim protector to be successful.  The NBA Finals this year proved that wrong.   

That might be a point, but using the Finals to make your point is foolishness.

You're absolutely right. Golden State did NOT reinvent the wheel. They still adequate size which helped in the finals including Bogut, Ezeli, Speights and Draymond Green also held his own in the paint when Lebron tried to attack the basket.

Point is even with the trio of Steph, Klay and Iggy, Golden State still had size and rim protectors which helped quite a bit.

In other words, all teams need an effective center to win a title

« Reply #58 on: June 28, 2015, 10:19:02 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
IMO Danny screwed up (in an attempt to grab Winslow) by only working with the Hornets .

Start earlier , call the pistons before their pick and see who they are interested in.  Have them pick Winslow.  Offer the Heat multiple picks and grab Johnson .

Incredibly inaccurate, but don't let that stop you from telling us how you feel.

« Reply #59 on: June 28, 2015, 10:21:58 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950

I think it was reported that Ainge was offering a deal for every pick beginning with #4, with the package for the Knicks being Sullinger plus picks.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference