Author Topic: Danny Should Say to Brad: Thanks for Costing Us Winslow, Dude  (Read 16635 times)

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
Brad Stevens wanted to show how good a coach he is by beating out teams (Miami, Charlotte) that were injured and probably decided to tank, costing us the chance of getting a Winslow with the 10th pick.   Danny reportedly offered three 1st round picks to trade up to the 9th spot (Charlotte's) just to get Winslow.  Danny works his butt off wheeling and dealing to accumulate the assets (picks), and Brad decides not to play along, and sneaks into the playoffs, to build character and experience for guys many of whom won't be with the team next season, or for the long term.  Just to experience getting swept by the Cavs. 

I wonder what Danny is thinking right now about Brad.  I'd be kind of upset if I were him.

We now have a glut of guards, just like we have a glut of picks.  No one will offer fair value, because they smell blood: They will only offer pennies on the dollar because they know Danny is desperate to dump his overstock of guards. 

We went into full tank mode the wrong year. The top 10 picks in this draft are much better than last year's.  Justin Winslow went 10th!!

Ainge and Stevens need to get on the same page, before we waste more of our precious "assets."

Re: Danny Should Say to Brad: Thanks for Costing Us Winslow, Dude
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2015, 05:23:06 PM »

Online BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212
Or he could, you know, not be petty
I'm bitter.

« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2015, 05:24:36 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
I mean Stevens won 25 games last year and he still hasn't coached a team to a winning season, so I can't imagine Ainge would be too put out about it.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2015, 05:25:33 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Brad responds, "Well, you're the one who decided to trade Rondo for role players who could contribute right away, not to mention picking up a guy at the deadline who kept us in tight games, the same tight games we were losing earlier in the year because we didn't have anybody who could score or get to the line late in games. 

If you wanted to miss the playoffs, you could have dumped everybody you could for late 1sts and 2nds and simply waived the remaining veterans.  Just look at how Sam Hinkie did it in Philly last year."

He continues,

"But don't worry, we'll definitely miss the playoffs this next year when we're playing 4 guard lineups and leading the league in three point attempts while at the same time sitting at the bottom of the league in three point percentage."
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2015, 05:27:45 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
Wait so we should be upset because our coach did his job to the best of his ability? I never would want a coach, coaching the team I love to just lay down.

If you are upset that we made the playoffs (which is completely rational after missing out on Winslow). Then you should blame Danny.

The C's made one move to get better this year by adding Isaiah Thomas. If we don't add him we don't make the playoffs. So anyone that is upset about not making the playoffs should blame Ainge for making the Thomas deal.

IMO wanting Thomas to be around last season and wanting the C's to end up in the lottery are contrary things.

Similarly if you want the C's to tank this year, you better not be rooting for us to sign free agents in the offseason, like Thomas and the lottery those things are incongruous.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2015, 05:30:03 PM »

Offline TheFlex

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 367
Lol, I'm sure Danny is mad that he hired a coach so intelligent and successful that no matter how hard he tries, he can't make the Celtics into a bad team.

That makes sense.

Draft: 8 first rounders in next 5 years.

Cap space: $24 mil.

https://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague/

« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2015, 05:30:32 PM »

Offline BlackCeltic

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 64
I thought the point of winning was to build team chemistry, and a winning chemistry is the culture of the Boston Celtics? Its sickening to see how many people are caught up on the names on the backs of the jerseys rather than the front.

« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2015, 05:32:51 PM »

Offline JHTruth

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 111
Brad responds, "Well, you're the one who decided to trade Rondo for role players who could contribute right away, not to mention picking up a guy at the deadline who kept us in tight games, the same tight games we were losing earlier in the year because we didn't have anybody who could score or get to the line late in games. 

If you wanted to miss the playoffs, you could have dumped everybody you could for late 1sts and 2nds and simply waived the remaining veterans.  Just look at how Sam Hinkie did it in Philly last year."

He continues,

"But don't worry, we'll definitely miss the playoffs this next year when we're playing 4 guard lineups and leading the league in three point attempts while at the same time sitting at the bottom of the league in three point percentage."

I just think Danny saw IT out there for pennies on the dollar and said why not? No way he's going to be the difference maker that Rondo and Jeff Green were.

But I do think Stevens resisted tanking all the way and ownership as well. Not that I blame them. But this ain't college guys. You can't recruit your new players coming in..

« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2015, 05:34:27 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
I mean Stevens won 25 games last year and he still hasn't coached a team to a winning season, so I can't imagine Ainge would be too put out about it.

I would like to sarcastically thank Brad Stevens for failing to win a couple more games so that I get to listen over and over to people pulling out the lame criticism that he hasn't coached a team to a winning season yet.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2015, 05:41:26 PM »

Offline dreamgreen

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
Brad's job is to win games, Danny should blame himself for the IT acquisition.

« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2015, 05:41:47 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish

I just think Danny saw IT out there for pennies on the dollar and said why not? No way he's going to be the difference maker that Rondo and Jeff Green were.

I think Ainge can't pass up a bargain or the opportunity to come out looking like he may have "won" a deal and added an "asset."

And hey, I liked the trade at the time.  I also really like watching IT play.  More than anybody else on the team at the moment.

But there is a real question what IT is going to mean to the team long term.  Will they ever get a return for him that's better than what they gave up, since he doesn't seem likely to convince anyone he's more than a sixth man? 

On the other hand, is he likely to stick around long enough to be part of a competitive team, considering they just drafted another point guard and the team is most likely at least a couple years away from being particularly good?

The decision to hold onto Bass and to trade Prince for useful rotation pieces instead of just waiving both probably looms largest, here.  The Celtics wouldn't have made the playoffs without Bass, Jerebko, and Datome playing late in the season.  I'm pretty sure of that.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2015, 05:42:24 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
If I wanted to see less crying about basketball, I'd watch a ten-minute highlight reel of Lebron James getting called for the foul instead of reading this forum.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2015, 05:43:44 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
I thought the point of winning was to build team chemistry, and a winning chemistry is the culture of the Boston Celtics? Its sickening to see how many people are caught up on the names on the backs of the jerseys rather than the front.

Talking about building chemistry and a winning culture right now is like talking about having the right windows and flooring in your house before you've even laid the foundation or procured any of the lumber for the structure itself.

First things first.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2015, 05:47:14 PM »

Offline sahara

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 84
If I wanted to see less crying about basketball, I'd watch a ten-minute highlight reel of Lebron James getting called for the foul instead of reading this forum.

« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2015, 05:47:16 PM »

Offline BlackCeltic

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 64

I think Ainge can't pass up a bargain or the opportunity to come out looking like he may have "won" a deal and added an "asset."

And hey, I liked the trade at the time.  I also really like watching IT play.  More than anybody else on the team at the moment.

But there is a real question what IT is going to mean to the team long term.  Will they ever get a return for him that's better than what they gave up, since he doesn't seem likely to convince anyone he's more than a sixth man? 

On the other hand, is he likely to stick around long enough to be part of a competitive team, considering they just drafted another point guard and the team is most likely at least a couple years away from being particularly good?

The decision to hold onto Bass and to trade Prince for useful rotation pieces instead of just waiving both probably looms largest, here.  The Celtics wouldn't have made the playoffs without Bass, Jerebko, and Datome playing late in the season.  I'm pretty sure of that.

I dont see how you can pay a born winner to tank. If Danny wants to win, he wants to win everything...every game...any contract negotiation...any trade. Any talk of losing is for losers.