Author Topic: RJ Hunter compared to Kevin Martin  (Read 4749 times)

RJ Hunter compared to Kevin Martin
« on: June 26, 2015, 12:37:45 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
While everyone is pouting about Rozier at 16, lets be happy Danny stole RJ Hunter at 28. The espn guys were certain at the rate Hunter was dropping, GSW was going to take him. That would of been bad for the rest of the league

Watch the highlight below and enjoy. It has been since Ray Allen we had a guy that shoots 3s like its a layup. Has long long range

http://youtu.be/e7gRSXs6xK0

Re: RJ Hunter compared to Kevin Martin
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2015, 12:42:31 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
Watch the highlight below and enjoy. It has been since Ray Allen we had a guy that shoots 3s like its a layup. Has long long range.
He made only .300 from college three last season. Ray Allen has never shot less than .350 in his NBA career. Let's not get ahead of ourselves here.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2015, 12:49:06 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
I see the K-Mart comparison, at least visually.  Also reminds me Korver in the way he moves.

He'll have to show he can actually shoot at the NBA level, though.  As Koz notes, he didn't show he could consistently shoot at the college level, though he was facing a lot of defensive pressure.

Just being a fantastic shooter is no clear indication of being a really good player, though.  Anthony Morrow is one of the best shooters in the league and he's had a hard time nailing down a rotation spot.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2015, 12:51:21 PM »

Offline danglertx

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 210
So I'm watching that video and thinking, he must be a ball hog taking some of those shots when teammates were wide open.  Then I got to the part on his passing and I could see why he wasn't passing to some of those guys.

Looked great.  Again, like the steals.

« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2015, 12:58:07 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Watch the highlight below and enjoy. It has been since Ray Allen we had a guy that shoots 3s like its a layup. Has long long range.
He made only .300 from college three last season. Ray Allen has never shot less than .350 in his NBA career. Let's not get ahead of ourselves here.

He identified an issue with his mechanic he has fixed. But also got double teamed constantly which made him adjust his shooting stroke(force shots).

His team relied on him heavily. In the nba that shouldnt be the case

« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2015, 01:03:46 PM »

Offline PaulAllen

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 55
Yea you know GS would of jumped on him..

I think he has more potential than any other drated Celtics this year or even James Young ..

He will be a situational player to start but he WILL play year one..
Stevens is the right coach for him, he will get him the right shots and play him with the right players..

Once they run the floor he will pop transition threes for days

« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2015, 01:13:24 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
So I'm watching that video and thinking, he must be a ball hog taking some of those shots when teammates were wide open.  Then I got to the part on his passing and I could see why he wasn't passing to some of those guys.

Haha, agreed!
It will be fun to see what he can do passing to some pros.

Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2015, 01:49:13 PM »

Offline danglertx

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 210

Haha, agreed!
It will be fun to see what he can do passing to some pros.

Or as close to pros as we have on the Celtics. 

Just kidding, I like our guys.

« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2015, 06:15:23 PM »

Offline Denis998

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 388
  • Rutgers '17
RJ hunter might become good for us, solid pick overall. He seems a bit small to me though. He is the same height and weight as me, and I am by no means a athlete.

« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2015, 06:19:55 PM »

Offline P stoff

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 31
and if we had drafted the best Wing and Center at 16 and 28 we would still have a hole at SF and C. 

How much are you expecting from freshman and sophomores?

We are better off filling those holes with men who have played in the nBA awhile

« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2015, 06:45:21 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
I really like the Kevin Martin comparison. One thing about Kevin Martin is he never really defended, I think this was in part to mostly playing for organizations that didn't stress defense.

Initially when I was doing research months ago, I was not sure about Rj Hunter as a 3 point shooter. Then when doing some research among the analytic sites, I found that free throw shooting at the college level is actually a better predictor of 3 point shooting in the NBA than college 3 point shooting. In this article projecting 3 point shooting next year Hunter has one of the highest projections both in terms of 3's made per game and 3 point percentage.

http://nyloncalculus.com/2015/05/25/projecting-draft-prospects-three-point-percentages/

I am really high on Hunter and I think he is the most likely to immediately contribute out of the celtics '15 draft class.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2015, 06:48:20 PM »

Offline BlackCeltic

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 64
Yea, if Bradley gets traded.

« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2015, 06:50:12 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
I really like the Kevin Martin comparison. One thing about Kevin Martin is he never really defended, I think this was in part to mostly playing for organizations that didn't stress defense.

Initially when I was doing research months ago, I was not sure about Rj Hunter as a 3 point shooter. Then when doing some research among the analytic sites, I found that free throw shooting at the college level is actually a better predictor of 3 point shooting in the NBA than college 3 point shooting. In this article projecting 3 point shooting next year Hunter has one of the highest projections both in terms of 3's made per game and 3 point percentage.

http://nyloncalculus.com/2015/05/25/projecting-draft-prospects-three-point-percentages/

I am really high on Hunter and I think he is the most likely to immediately contribute out of the celtics '15 draft class.

Love the analysis, and agree with Kevin Martin, but I think Hunter looks like a player that could at least defend at SG or SF.

He needs a little bulk.
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2015, 07:06:20 PM »

Offline Sketch5

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280
I think Scal said he was like A 6'6" Eddie House that can play D.

If true I think thats a heck of a player at 28.

I like his passing, even if he's a role player off the bench, he could be a good one.

« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2015, 07:34:48 PM »

Offline P stoff

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 31
 Some Celtic fans are a fickle bunch.  We complain bradley is inconsistent shooting, doesnt rebound, cant pass, and is too small.  We draft a SG who is 6'6, a great shooter, can pass and has a handles enough to create his own shot wihout dribling off his own foot... and some people want a PF instead.

This guy and Young could solve our SG/SF flexibility... and allow to use AB and others as assets to acquire depth or better players.