Author Topic: Ainge on Toucher and Rich This Morning  (Read 12849 times)

Re: Ainge on Toucher and Rich This Morning
« Reply #30 on: June 26, 2015, 11:27:30 AM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
I took that quote as the 2019 first round pick of an example of something gms would under value, not the actual offer he made to move up

Agreed. Though, I think it was part of the equation, particularly when "lots of picks" are seemingly part of the package.

Consider this, we're talking about #9 spot and the cost to Charlotte was Kaminsky. Think about that, how much should you ask for Kaminsky?

Jordan has an obsession to get a taste of the playoffs again, that's the problem above anything here.

I mean, it's for stars in this league and 2 1st round picks seem to be the average offered. How much should one ask for a player that hasn't seen the floor in this league?

With that said, I have no doubt that the value we had been offering at that spot for Kaminsky (not who we would've picked I would think) was a very good one for Charlotte. My opinion and assumption though, but I think the major problem is that Charlotte wants to make the playoffs next season above anything, and they saw Kaminsky as a way to go about it... lots of gms seemed high on him despite mock drafts and perception around not being too high on him.

« Reply #31 on: June 26, 2015, 11:29:33 AM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
James Toscano @Jimmy_Toscano
Heard Celtics offered 4 picks (at least 3 of them 1st-round) for No. 9. Both firsts yesterday, assume Dal protected and another protected.

« Reply #32 on: June 26, 2015, 11:31:07 AM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2663
  • bammokja
I liked this portion in particular:

“They [the future picks] are worth a lot, [but] I think the draft is probably the time where they’re least valuable, simply because people get so caught up in players. Without mentioning names, there are some players that were drafted at certain spots [by teams] that turned down lots of draft picks that I just don’t think was smart on their part,” Ainge explained. “On draft day, typically those are hard deals to move. People get so caught up and get so in love with a specific player that that player in their minds becomes bigger than life.”

Ainge said that the team tried to get into the top three, but realized that was unrealistic. He said they were in regular communication with teams in spots from four through 15, and some discussions came very close to leading to a deal, but they never happened.

“I think they were just determined to take a guy that they liked. I think that they may regret end up not doing it in some of the cases,” Ainge said. “I think people make irrational choices in those situations, not knowing that a 2019 unprotected pick has great value.”

Of course these GM's are not going to bite on an unprotected 2019 pick.. They are lottery GM's with jobs by the skin of their teeth... They need results now.. The GM's who arent afraid to make moves are the ones who dont fear losing their jobs ,cough cough DA..

Im calling total BS on his part.. He could of made a deal for Turner or Winslow .. ante up
great. now outside of wish casting, would you please provide some modicum of proof or evidence or a quote for this please?
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #33 on: June 26, 2015, 11:32:45 AM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
Heard Celtics offered 4 picks (at least 3 of them 1st-round) for No. 9. Both firsts yesterday, assume Dal protected and another protected.

So then it was 16, 28, 2016 (Dallas) and 2019 (Boston).

I thought it would've been 16, 28,  2016 (Dallas) OR 2019 (Boston), and Olynyk (who does everything Kaminsky does).

« Reply #34 on: June 26, 2015, 11:33:31 AM »

Online SCeltic34

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1997
This makes me feel slightly better about last night. I think it's pretty clear that Ainge was planning on grabbing #9 for Winslow, and even offered Charlotte a future first round pick for it, but they fell in love with Kaminsky and pulled out of the deal.

Don't know if the pick was actually a 2019 (I figure that could just be something he threw out there as a hypothetical.) It sucks that it happened, but at the end of the day Charlotte may regret this more than we do.

I agree. Kaminsky is going to be a bust. Not a smart move on their part.

Good thing they traded for Spencer Hawes before drafting Kaminsky.

Based on all the doom and gloom around here, you'd think this board was for the Kings or Hornets.  But the Hornets are proof that things could be much, much worse.

I think everyone on this board knew that Danny would make every effort to trade up.  It sounded like he was ready to overpay too.  It just wasn't there.  Just time to move forward with what we got.

« Reply #35 on: June 26, 2015, 11:35:23 AM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2663
  • bammokja

I thought it would've been 16, 28,  2016 (Dallas) OR 2019 (Boston), and Olynyk (who does everything Kaminsky does).
boy, if this report is accurate, then charlotte made a mistake not taking that offer.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #36 on: June 26, 2015, 11:35:59 AM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
Im glad we didn't trade up for Turner. Im not fond of bigs that have trouble running the floor. I get nightmares of Acie Earl. 

Im also glad we passed on Dekker. I think Celtics really value James Young's potential.

I think James Young could be a key in all of this.  We constantly hear that if he had stayed in school another year and came out this year, he would've been a sure-fire top 10 pick.  The question is, does he have the drive to become as good as his potential, because Gerald Wallace was definitely questioning it.

That says more about the relative merits of and the circumstances surrounding the two drafts more than anything else. Had he not been in that car accident, he would have been drafted much higher, too.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #37 on: June 26, 2015, 11:42:56 AM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson

boy, if this report is accurate, then charlotte made a mistake not taking that offer.

And I wouldn't be surprised of players were also part of the package involved, but on this portion of the trade alone, it does seem like a mistake for Charlotte.

« Reply #38 on: June 26, 2015, 11:44:16 AM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson

Agreed. I think it's a case of people being enamored with a player. You can't tell me that the Hornets really think that Kaminsky has greater value than Olynyk, Dekker (16th pick),  RJ Hunter (28th pick), and another 1st rd draft pick. The draft is like buying a car once you draft the player/leave the lot it immediately loses value.

« Reply #39 on: June 26, 2015, 11:45:27 AM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065

These reports are not good. Danny's vaunted "treasure chest" of picks could not move us up from the late lottery to the mid-lottery in an average draft year...I mean it doesn't sound like he was offering up the best picks, but still.

« Reply #40 on: June 26, 2015, 11:49:12 AM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson

These reports are not good. Danny's vaunted "treasure chest" of picks could not move us up from the late lottery to the mid-lottery in an average draft year...I mean it doesn't sound like he was offering up the best picks, but still.

I actually think it's speaks to the incompetence of Jordan for overvaluing Kaminsky as a prospect. You have to think most GM's would've either taken the C's offer or drafted Winslow.

« Reply #41 on: June 26, 2015, 12:02:28 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182

The vaunted Celtics treasure chest of assets is filled with chocolate coins covered in gold-colored foil, as opposed to gold dubloons, apparently.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #42 on: June 26, 2015, 12:03:42 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047

I take it with a grain of salt.  Washington was able to move up 3 spots in the first by adding 2 second rounders to their pick.  makes me wonder why some GMs have that level of evaluation of picks while others such as Charlotte wouldn't move a pick for a mediocre prospect for several firsts.

« Reply #43 on: June 26, 2015, 12:04:35 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
From last year....Hornets get an A+ for picking Noah Vonleh at #9

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/eye-on-basketball/24598705/nba-draft-hornets-get-an-a-for-picking-noah-vonleh-at-no-9

Never saw the floor and now is in Portland.  This stuff happens all the time.
From last year....Hornets get an A+ for picking Noah Vonleh at #9

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/eye-on-basketball/24598705/nba-draft-hornets-get-an-a-for-picking-noah-vonleh-at-no-9

Never saw the floor and now is in Portland.  This stuff happens all the time.

Yeah, I love these. Like the Rockets getting an A+ for selecting J. Lamb, or the Cs getting a B+ for selecting Fab Melo :)
http://www.cbssports.com/nba/story/19439248
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #44 on: June 26, 2015, 12:06:36 PM »

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 277

The vaunted Celtics treasure chest of assets is filled with chocolate coins covered in gold-colored foil, as opposed to gold dubloons, apparently.

Or that a GM is in love with a prospect like Frank Kamisky.