Author Topic: Ainge on Toucher and Rich This Morning  (Read 12850 times)

Ainge on Toucher and Rich This Morning
« on: June 26, 2015, 10:10:28 AM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818

Re: Ainge on Toucher and Rich This Morning
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2015, 10:17:27 AM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
I wish I was privy to what was offered in trades. I probably would end up glad that we didn't manage it.

« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2015, 10:29:33 AM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
I liked this portion in particular:

“They [the future picks] are worth a lot, [but] I think the draft is probably the time where they’re least valuable, simply because people get so caught up in players. Without mentioning names, there are some players that were drafted at certain spots [by teams] that turned down lots of draft picks that I just don’t think was smart on their part,” Ainge explained. “On draft day, typically those are hard deals to move. People get so caught up and get so in love with a specific player that that player in their minds becomes bigger than life.”

Ainge said that the team tried to get into the top three, but realized that was unrealistic. He said they were in regular communication with teams in spots from four through 15, and some discussions came very close to leading to a deal, but they never happened.

“I think they were just determined to take a guy that they liked. I think that they may regret end up not doing it in some of the cases,” Ainge said. “I think people make irrational choices in those situations, not knowing that a 2019 unprotected pick has great value.”

« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2015, 10:32:59 AM »

Offline GryphMinuteMan

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 7
I really wish I knew what the offer for the 9th pick was.

« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2015, 10:34:50 AM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
We were dangling a 2019 unprotected 1st, and we're surprised the teams weren't biting?  Not only does Danny plan (and hope) to be a contending team by 2019, but a lot of teams aren't really interested in getting an asset 4 years out from now.

« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2015, 10:36:57 AM »

Offline hodgy03038

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 440
  • Marcus Smart #1 Fan
I hope I'm alive in 2019 to see what this unprotected pick will turn into but what about this year?

We will see next week Love go to LA, Monroe & West to NY, Aldridge to SA, Marc Gasol stays in MEM - what's left? Robin Lopez?

Will we trade for Hibbert and his 15+ million contract? Indiana fans can't wait to get rid of him. He's soft and can't hit free throws.

See you in the 1st rnd Cleveland with our plethora of mediocre drafted guards where we will tune you up for 4 games before the 2nd rnd.

« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2015, 10:37:17 AM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
We were dangling a 2019 unprotected 1st, and we're surprised the teams weren't biting?  Not only does Danny plan (and hope) to be a contending team by 2019, but a lot of teams aren't really interested in getting an asset 4 years out from now.

Sure, lets ignore the "lots of picks" mention.

« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2015, 10:37:19 AM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427
Mike Gorman was also on the show this morning and I like some the quotes he said

paraphrasing

"Danny was aggressive trying to get into the top 3, and would have pulled the trigger, problem is some GMs are scared to pull trigger thinking in the long run they will get screwed by Danny"

"Danny has a reputation in coming out the ultimate winner in some of the trades he did, usually selling nothing for something"

"GMs around the league are scared to pull triggers because if they stand pat, anything goes wrong, they can fire the coach, but if they made the wrong trade, the GM gets fired...Danny on the other hand is not afraid to pull triggers, but that doesn't mean the other GMs want to pull the trigger"

that's the gist of it, maybe someone who listened to the show as well, can quote it better

« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2015, 10:38:14 AM »

Offline Future Celtics Owner

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 191
  • Celtic's only raise championship Banners
Who cares about the 9th pick. I thought INDY would be a great team to trade with, maybe what Ainge is saying is give it some time for realistic evaluation of players drafted and then I will make a trade.

« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2015, 10:39:18 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968
I hope he resigns

Please

« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2015, 10:40:34 AM »

Offline Otsje P

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 11
It's great to listen to Danny reasonably explaining their decisions.

We will see how things will work out. In Danny I trust.

TP to you Budweiser!

« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2015, 10:41:08 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182

Yeah.

Once again, I get the sense that Danny tries too hard to screw over his trade partners, rather than attempting to reach a mutually beneficial agreement.  Other GMs can see that.  There are fewer stupid GMs in the league now than there were a decade ago.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2015, 10:42:02 AM »

Offline celticslove

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 188
if both him and the suns withdrew from the bidding then CHA must be asking too much

« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2015, 10:42:26 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Quote from: Wyc Grousbeck
"We did try to move up. We try to move up hard for other players to be honest," said Grousbeck. "There was unbelievable offers made and rejected. So it was what it was. It was set in stone where people were drafting, there was one trade ahead of us. We threw in a lot of offers and a lot of assets.

"People were recharging their phones on the fly there were so many phone calls down there," said Grousbeck. "I think the draft has gotten so big and people realize that's the way you get better because guys really aren't moving around teams anymore… People fall in love with their picks and don't want to move them."

http://www.csnne.com/boston-celtics/grousbeck-celtics-unbelievable-offers-were-rejected

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2015, 10:47:17 AM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 742
He's right about one thing: the reason fans like the Hunter pick is because they've heard his name before. I haven't watched any of either guy outside of Draft Express highlight packages this morning and I don't know how either guy is going to translate in the NBA but I'm willing to wait and see what happens in the trade market and free agency.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008