Poll

Poll: What grade do u give the Celtics on the 2015 draft?

A
3 (5.3%)
B
12 (21.1%)
C
16 (28.1%)
D
12 (21.1%)
F
6 (10.5%)
i'll wait-Trades will be made
8 (14%)

Total Members Voted: 57

Author Topic: Grade the Celtics 2015 draft  (Read 6473 times)

Re: Grade the Celtics 2015 draft
« Reply #30 on: June 27, 2015, 04:02:15 PM »

Offline NWCeltic

• Neemias Queta
  • Tommy Points: 3
I give it a C for now. If they trade Bradley I'll like it a lot more. Hunter and Mickey were solid picks. Blows my mind why a center wasn't taken with the last pick. Take Upshaw with that if you want to go high risk or Dakari Johnson if you want to play it safe.

« Reply #31 on: June 27, 2015, 04:41:46 PM »

Offline twistedrico

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 22
Upshaw is an absolute mess. Serious documented emotional problems.

« Reply #32 on: June 27, 2015, 04:53:40 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
F
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #33 on: June 27, 2015, 05:09:31 PM »

Offline MSceltic

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 23
Rozier D
Hunter A
Mickey B
Thornton F
« Last Edit: June 27, 2015, 05:22:37 PM by MSceltic »

« Reply #34 on: June 27, 2015, 05:14:16 PM »

Offline celticmania

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 39
Rozier A
Hunter A
Mickey B

« Reply #35 on: June 27, 2015, 06:11:03 PM »

Offline MJohnnyboy

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 269
I was pretty furious about the Rozier selection but now that the kneejerk reactions have faded and I've read up about the guy, I have gone from giving the grade a D to a potential A or potential F. A grade that I can't give because I think I know what Ainge is trying to do. I for one am an Ainge supporter for his draftees even when they haven't panned out. The reason why he drafted the ones who flopped usually was because of need, and maybe that played a factor in why he selected Rozier. He selected JJJ and and Fab Melo because the Celtics needed back-up bigs at the time. Course we all know what happened with them. Plenty have complained about how the Celtics didn't get Chandler Parsons or Jimmy Butler in the 2011. Perhaps DA watched them and liked what he saw but thought we were set with wings because the Celtics had Paul Pierce and Jeff Green as his back-up so JaJuan Johnson seemed like a safe pick. Perhaps he's learned that it isn't about needs in the draft and more about the talent itself. And that's what played into his decision to select Rozier.

It is fairly obvious as to why we were all baffled by the selection of Rozier. He's a point guard on a team whose two most valuable players are point guards. Not to mention the Celtics have Avery Bradley who, though he's not a point guard, he's around that height and is good enough to get minutes there. Rozier will start the season as the #4 guard on the team. You don't think Ainge is aware of this? Of course he is! I'm sure he knew Sam Dekker would have filled a need. Heck he desperately wanted Charlotte to accept that plethora of picks just to get Justice Winslow and struck out. The safe pick at 16 would have been Dekker or Bobby Portis, but he clearly saw something in Rozier in which he thought Rozier will have a better career than the other two. After striking out in the past because he drafted guys based off of need, he went with talent this time. Simple as that, and we can't make that call that Rozier was a bad pick when we haven't seem him play. We don't know how good he'll be, but he looks to me like he's got a competitive edge with a  defensive intensity and offensive potential. I'm most intrigued by how he'll play with Smart. If Rozier works out like Ainge thinks he will, then this is an A, but if he doesn't, this is an F. It's a make or break selection. Even if it breaks, it's not that bad considering Rozier was in the mid-1st round. If this was a top-10 pick then I'd be much more skeptical, and luckily, the Celtics have picks galore to weigh in which guys they want to keep going forward.

RJ Hunter to me was a B+/A-. A solid pick and a guy who filled in a need. This guy looks like Kevin Martin 2.0 if he lives up to his billing. Frankly Kevin Martin can be your 3rd scorer (not PLAYER, scorer) if you are vying for a championship, so I like that from the 28th pick in the draft. I'm excited to see how the Celtics play him and James Young together.

Jordan Mickey was a B. I mean the Celtics didn't really need a power forward but in a league that is going with smaller lineups and the Celtics needing a shot blocker, this guy atleast does that for them. I could see them going with him as the undersized center in small-ball lineups. That pretty much spells the end of Brandon Bass and possibly Jonas Jerebko if you ask me, but Mckey excites me.

Marcus Thornton. meh. Draft and stash. C