Author Topic: Jordan Mickey 7'4" Wingspan 37" Vertical  (Read 18434 times)

Re: Jordan Mickey 7'4" Wingspan 37" Vertical
« Reply #45 on: June 29, 2015, 08:37:53 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
DE analysis

Mickey doesn't show much in the way of perimeter skills either, attempting just nine threes this season and making just one. He is a decent midrange shooter, converting 50% of his 2-point jumpers (34-68).

This already a poor analysis. Because as a PF ,he cant shoot threes at a good rate=  poor perimeter skills?

How many pfs in the NBA can actually shoot threes at an acceptable rate?

Mickey's bread and butter is defense. On the offensive end, he is more skilled than WCS. He doesnt project his passes and can hit the open man once he feels a double team is coming. Or hit the outlet man for a transition bucket. The promise is there to contribute on the offensive end. Review the highlight below(number 25).  He flashes his passing capability and other  parts of his offensive game. This guy is no Quincy Acy on the offensive end, the way that DE makes him sound like

The things you say simply aren't accurate.

On offense...
He has a high release point on his shot, but does not have much range at all. The college 3's stat is important because it's a shorter distance than the NBA 3 and shows how limited his range is. He has a very elementary, to be kind, post game. When the defense closes on the perimeter he usually goes right, but it's straight line drive and will often barrel over defenders for the charge. His ballhandling isn't good at all and neither is his passing/vision. He averaged 3.3 TOV and 1.3 APG, along with having a offensive win share of just 1.2. He doesn't have high IQ offensively, despite you always saying he does, and has a very poor feel at that end of the floor.

On defense...
He blocked a lot of shots, but that was in collge where historically undersized shotblockers don't replicate that at the next level. He may have a long winspan, but he has a short standing reach (just 8-10, for compasion James Young is at 8-8), which is probably because his neck is on the longish side. Something that should be factored into his already undersized height (6-8 1/4). He often gets out of position defensively because he tries to block too many shots coming from the weakside. This probably impacts his medicore defensive rebounding (7.1 per 40 minutes). He's very nimble and can rotate and hedge out on the perimeter, especially in pick and rolls.

Are you still upset the Celts chose Mickey at 33?   

Don't worry Eddie20, you will learn to like him.

I always said that at #33 I would't have a major issue with the selection. I wouldn't have gone with Mickey, but since his contract is not guaranteed we could easily move on if the project doesn't pan out.
I just have to stop you when you say  things that simply aren't true about him. At the end of the day, he's a project that needs a lot of development in order to even be considered a part of the rotation. You need to temper expectations, man.

dude I don't think you know the difference between "project" vs non project prospects

Biyombo in his first few years = project.  He didn't know where to be on the floor. Execute PNR

Chris McCullough = project. He needs to put on 15-20 pounds to even have a chance to bang with regular joe NBA players.

Mickey knows how to play + is 240 pounds (pretty good strength).  You would get this if you made an attempt to watch one LSU game. Instead of coming up with a twisted conclusion.  For example, dwelling on his 6'8 height. DE states he is this and that.  He is ranked 45th by Chad Ford. Etc.

Watch a game man. You can start with the SL games coming up.

Let me ask you, why do think you're the only one that has watched Mickey play? Every time someone disagrees with you, you say the same thing and post the same old video (Kentucky highlights). You've become really blinded and so infatuated by this kid (hence your new photo) that you refuse to acknowledge any criticism. I hate to break it to you, but a 2nd rd pick with little to no offensive skills at the NBA level is a project. He's going to need seasoning on his offense in the D League, where hopefully he improves his shooting consistency, range on his shot, ballhandling, and to work on our team's defensive schemes/principles.

You also mentioned his "strong work ethic"? How exactly are you measuring this? Is there any report that can confirm this? I see a player that didn't improve from his freshman to sophmore season, so I'm curious as to this work ethic you've mentioned.

« Reply #46 on: June 29, 2015, 09:04:24 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
DE analysis

Mickey doesn't show much in the way of perimeter skills either, attempting just nine threes this season and making just one. He is a decent midrange shooter, converting 50% of his 2-point jumpers (34-68).

This already a poor analysis. Because as a PF ,he cant shoot threes at a good rate=  poor perimeter skills?

Mickey's bread and butter is defense. On the offensive end, he is more skilled than WCS. He doesnt project his passes and can hit the open man once he feels a double team is coming. Or hit the outlet man for a transition bucket. The promise is there to contribute on the offensive end. Review the highlight below(number 25).  He flashes his passing capability and other  parts of his offensive game. This guy is no Quincy Acy on the offensive end, the way that DE makes him sound like

On offense...
He has a high release point on his shot, but does not have much range at all. The college 3's stat is important because it's a shorter distance than the NBA 3 and shows how limited his range is. He has a very elementary, to be kind, post game. When the defense closes on the perimeter he usually goes right, but it's straight line drive and will often barrel over defenders for the charge. His ballhandling isn't good at all and neither is his passing/vision. He averaged 3.3 TOV and 1.3 APG, along with having a offensive win share of just 1.2. He doesn't have high IQ offensively, despite you always saying he does, and has a very poor feel at that end of the floor.

On defense...
He blocked a lot of shots, but that was in collge where historically undersized shotblockers don't replicate that at the next level. He may have a long winspan, but he has a short standing reach (just 8-10, for compasion James Young is at 8-8), which is probably because his neck is on the longish side. Something that should be factored into his already undersized height (6-8 1/4). He often gets out of position defensively because he tries to block too many shots coming from the weakside. This probably impacts his medicore defensive rebounding (7.1 per 40 minutes). He's very nimble and can rotate and hedge out on the perimeter, especially in pick and rolls.

I always said that at #33 I would't have a major issue with the selection. I wouldn't have gone with Mickey, but since his contract is not guaranteed we could easily move on if the project doesn't pan out.
I just have to stop you when you say  things that simply aren't true about him. At the end of the day, he's a project that needs a lot of development in order to even be considered a part of the rotation. You need to temper expectations, man.

dude I don't think you know the difference between "project" vs non project prospects

Biyombo in his first few years = project.  He didn't know where to be on the floor. Execute PNR

Chris McCullough = project. He needs to put on 15-20 pounds to even have a chance to bang with regular joe NBA players.

Mickey knows how to play + is 240 pounds (pretty good strength).  You would get this if you made an attempt to watch one LSU game. Instead of coming up with a twisted conclusion.  For example, dwelling on his 6'8 height. DE states he is this and that.  He is ranked 45th by Chad Ford. Etc.

Let me ask you, why do think you're the only one that has watched Mickey play? Every time someone disagrees with you, you say the same thing and post the same old video (Kentucky highlights). You've become really blinded and so infatuated by this kid (hence your new photo) that you refuse to acknowledge any criticism. I hate to break it to you, but a 2nd rd pick with little to no offensive skills at the NBA level is a project. He's going to need seasoning on his offense in the D League, where hopefully he improves his shooting consistency, range on his shot, ballhandling, and to work on our team's defensive schemes/principles.

You also mentioned his "strong work ethic"? How exactly are you measuring this? Is there any report that can confirm this? I see a player that didn't improve from his freshman to sophmore season, so I'm curious as to this work ethic you've mentioned.

Eddie20 did you take a look at his stats from year 1 vs year 2 before your post??  He scored 3 points and 2 rebounds per game higher than the previous season (not even considering the fact he found out about his iron deficiency issue with about 5-6 games to go in the season).   Is that a marginal improvement in your books? Bc to me 8 vs 10 rebounds per game is definitely a good improvement

Also i'm not talking about the JM vs Kentucky highlight video I made. Watch LSU vs Kentucky game. It's on youtube. That is how I was able to make the highlight video.  But you refuse to. 

It doesn't matter to me if you do or don't. But you should, to arm yourself with better examples  when talking about Mickey's game. Not just gathering the table scraps the scouts put out and coming up with your own conclusion.

Mickey was a 2nd round pick. But consider that he was an early 2nd round pick very close to being a late 1st pick. CBS and staff were high on him, enough so to bring him in for a 2nd workout.  What CBS said about Mickey after he was chosen are all good info.

Lastly what you expect from him is crazy. Now that is unrealistic expectations.  So in your books he has to extend his range to play in the NBA (when CBS has stated he is good from 16-17 ft), be a better ball handler (how many pfs in the NBA are very good ball handlers),  pass like KO etc.  You expect the world from this kid and that is crazy.    On the other hand, i'm concentrating on the things he does well and how he can potentially help the lineup.   I see promise in his game, translation of shot blocking, versatile defense, mid range jump shot, face up drives. In addition the more open space in NBA will benefit his game

« Reply #47 on: June 29, 2015, 10:10:08 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
DE analysis

On offense...

On defense...

Eddie20 did you take a look at his stats from year 1 vs year 2 before your post?? He scored 3 points and 2 rebounds per game higher than the previous season (not even considering the fact he found out about his iron deficiency issue with about 5-6 games to go in the season).   Is that a marginal improvement in your books? Bc to me 8 vs 10 rebounds per game is definitely a good improvement

Just so there is no confusion. Here are his numbers. BTW, he scored 2.1 ppg, not 3 ppg more, with worse efficiency in 2.1 mpg more.  Again, can you explain to me this great work ethic you spoke about because it didn't translate into numbers?

FG%
Year 1 53.4
Year 2 50.4

FT%
Year 1 69.5
Year 2 64.6

MPG
Year 1 32.8
Year 2 34.9

PPG
Year 1 12.8
Year 2 15.4

RPG
Year 1 7.9
Year 2 9.9

BPG
Year 1 3.1
Year 2 3.6

TOV
Year 1 2.8
Year 2 3.7

True Shooting %
Year 1 56.6
Year 2 53.3

PER
Year 1 19.8
Year 2 21.7

Offensive Win Shares
Year 1 1.6
Year 2 1.2

Defensive Win Shares
Year 1 2.0
Year 2 2.6

You continue with that one game vs Kentucky. Tony Delk scored 50 in a game and I think Willie Burton had one game at 54. If I pull highlights from that game you'd think they were all time greats. I've seen Mickey play in HS (teammates with Mudiay) vs Monteverde (Simmons, D. Johnson, D. Russell), I've seen him play in college, and I've seen him at the combine. I think it's okay for me to form an opinion on him. Let me guess, I need to watch the highlight video you put of him, right? That video sounds really impartial.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2015, 09:51:09 AM by Eddie20 »

« Reply #48 on: June 29, 2015, 10:21:45 PM »

Offline BASS_THUMPER

• Scal's #1 Fan
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 5350
  • Thumper of the BASS!
when he got up he looked in pain....

https://youtu.be/7dlFQFXlT2Q

no

« Reply #49 on: June 29, 2015, 10:37:25 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
Just so folks get a different perspective of what it is exactly we're getting. If you don't think this guy is a project that will hopefully be groomed in the D-League then...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s2LC_CNj4aY

« Reply #50 on: June 29, 2015, 10:38:52 PM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2238
when he got up he looked in pain....

https://youtu.be/7dlFQFXlT2Q

no

He thought he was going 28.

« Reply #51 on: June 29, 2015, 11:06:15 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
Just so folks get a different perspective of what it is exactly we're getting. If you don't think this guy is a project that will hopefully be groomed in the D-League then...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s2LC_CNj4aY

I really hope he pans out. I have no choice, but to root for him now.

when are you going to start Eddie20? 

« Reply #52 on: June 29, 2015, 11:12:27 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
DE analysis

On offense...

On defense...

Eddie20 did you take a look at his stats from year 1 vs year 2 before your post?? He scored 3 points and 2 rebounds per game higher than the previous season (not even considering the fact he found out about his iron deficiency issue with about 5-6 games to go in the season).   Is that a marginal improvement in your books? Bc to me 8 vs 10 rebounds per game is definitely a good improvement

Just so there is no confusion. Here are his numbers. BTW, he scored 2.1 ppg, not 3 ppg more, with worse efficiency in 2.1 mpg more.  Again, can you explain to me this great work ethic you spoke about because it didn't translate into numbers?

FG%
Year 1 53.4
Year 2 50.4

FT%
Year 1 69.5
Year 2 64.6

MPG
Year 1 32.8
Year 2 34.9

PPG
Year 1 15.6
Year 2 17.7

RPG
Year 1 7.9
Year 2 9.9

BPG
Year 1 3.1
Year 2 3.6

TOV
Year 1 2.8
Year 2 3.7

True Shooting %
Year 1 56.6
Year 2 53.3

PER
Year 1 19.8
Year 2 21.7

Offensive Win Shares
Year 1 1.6
Year 2 1.2

Defensive Win Shares
Year 1 2.0
Year 2 2.6

You continue with that one game vs Kentucky. Tony Delk scored 50 in a game and I think Willie Burton had one game at 54. If I pull highlights from that game you'd think they were all time greats. I've seen Mickey play in HS (teammates with Mudiay) vs Monteverde (Simmons, D. Johnson, D. Russell), I've seen him play in college, and I've seen him at the combine. I think it's okay for me to form an opinion on him. Let me guess, I need to watch the highlight video you put of him, right? That video sounds really impartial.

you got the ppg incorrect.  And you forgot to mention Mickey was the #2 ranked pf high school prospect in the lone star state.

last season (only 2nd year) led the SEC in bpg, rpg. Led the nation in BPG.  Candidate for SEC player of the year. Made all defensive team. Made first-team All-SEC team.

What else do you want from him?  to do backflips.   

« Last Edit: June 29, 2015, 11:18:16 PM by triboy16f »

« Reply #53 on: June 29, 2015, 11:27:29 PM »

Offline kheldar52077

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 8
if he develops a 3-pt shot atleast 35% accuracy we have a winner!  ;)

« Reply #54 on: June 29, 2015, 11:33:20 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce

Imo he doesn't even have to. It would be nice.  Bass made a living making 15-17 ft jump shots and so can Mickey.   It's going to be impossible for every single NBA player to be able to shoot the three pt shot. It won't ever happen, unless the next wave of centers are 6'8 sfs that can rebound and block shots

« Reply #55 on: June 29, 2015, 11:33:49 PM »

Offline BDeCosta26

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 232

If he develops a 3 point shot that reliable we have ourselves a better version of Draymond Green.

« Reply #56 on: June 29, 2015, 11:36:47 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce

If he develops a 3 point shot that reliable we have ourselves a better version of Draymond Green.

I'm a fan of Mickey but I'm not sure about your statement. D Green is a really good passer and ball handler for his size

« Reply #57 on: June 29, 2015, 11:44:08 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
DE analysis

On offense...

On defense...

FG%
Year 1 53.4
Year 2 50.4

FT%
Year 1 69.5
Year 2 64.6

MPG
Year 1 32.8
Year 2 34.9

PPG
Year 1 15.6
Year 2 17.7

RPG
Year 1 7.9
Year 2 9.9

BPG
Year 1 3.1
Year 2 3.6

TOV
Year 1 2.8
Year 2 3.7

True Shooting %
Year 1 56.6
Year 2 53.3

PER
Year 1 19.8
Year 2 21.7

Offensive Win Shares
Year 1 1.6
Year 2 1.2

Defensive Win Shares
Year 1 2.0
Year 2 2.6

you got the ppg incorrect.  And you forgot to mention Mickey was the #2 ranked pf high school prospect in the lone star state.

last season (only 2nd year) led the SEC in bpg, rpg. Led the nation in BPG.  Candidate for SEC player of the year. Made all defensive team. Made first-team All-SEC team.

also if you are going to harp on one game theres no better one to go from than a Kentucky game.  going up against the #1 and 6 pick he more than held his own.

Id rather see one game like this than 10 games against podunk university
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #58 on: June 29, 2015, 11:51:29 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
DE analysis

On offense...

On defense...

FG%
Year 1 53.4
Year 2 50.4

FT%
Year 1 69.5
Year 2 64.6

MPG
Year 1 32.8
Year 2 34.9

PPG
Year 1 15.6
Year 2 17.7

RPG
Year 1 7.9
Year 2 9.9

BPG
Year 1 3.1
Year 2 3.6

TOV
Year 1 2.8
Year 2 3.7

True Shooting %
Year 1 56.6
Year 2 53.3

PER
Year 1 19.8
Year 2 21.7

Offensive Win Shares
Year 1 1.6
Year 2 1.2

Defensive Win Shares
Year 1 2.0
Year 2 2.6

also if you are going to harp on one game theres no better one to go from than a Kentucky game.  going up against the #1 and 6 pick he more than held his own.

Id rather see one game like this than 10 games against podunk university

absolutely.  Mickey did very well vs Kentucky (6 players drafted)

« Reply #59 on: June 30, 2015, 01:24:41 AM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
Just curious - does anybody feel that this guy could be, offensively, a Brandon Bass type?

Because Bass has done a pretty solid job of holding his own in the NBA despite the fact that he:

1) Is shorter than Mickey (6'7" in shoes vs 6'8" in shoes)
2) Has a shorter wingspan (7'2" vs 7'4")
3) Is a solid athlete, but was never on Mickey's level
4) Has never really had much of an offensive game outside of midrange jumpers and dribble drives
5) Isn't much of a shot blocker
6) Both pretty limited in terms of court feel (passing, etc)

I can't really see any weaknesses in Mickey's game that Bass doesn't also have, but I can see skills in Mickey that Bass doesn't have (shot blocking, elite athleticism, etc).

Similar personalities too, in that both guys are high motor guys who play with effort and energy and who never back down from an opponent.

Considering that Bass was productive enough to earn himself significant roles on some pretty good Magic and Celtics teams, that makes me pretty hopeful about Mickey's potential to be a solid NBA player.  I'm thinking that if you can pull a Brandon Bass (especially an improved Brandon Bass) out of a #33 pick then you've got to be pretty thrilled with that.

Unlike most, I'm actually pretty excited about our entire draft this year.  A lot of skill and athleticism in these guys, and because of this (plus the potential development of our existing prospects) I think our Summer League / Preseason teams this year should be some of the most fun and interesting ones in years!