Author Topic: If Aldridge signs with Spurs  (Read 1770 times)

If Aldridge signs with Spurs
« on: June 25, 2015, 10:30:04 AM »

Offline PaulAllen

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 55
Can they still afford to keep Leonard at a max contract?

I checked and they are at 33 million for the season..
Factor in signing Duncan and Ginobli (approx 17 mil w/ possibility of a home town discount)

Aldridge max would be around 18mil I assume..
figure a few other contracts and rookie deals would put them well over 70 mil.

Can Leonard be taken?
Any salary cap gurus here?

Re: If Aldridge signs with Spurs
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2015, 10:40:40 AM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
A max for Aldridge would be 35% of the Salary Cap, which would be roughly 23 million a year with a 4.5% increase.

A max for Leonard would be ~16 million/year with the same raise, since he doesn't qualify for the 5th Year 30% Max like Rose/Westbrook.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2015, 10:43:55 AM »

Offline PaulAllen

• Bill Walton
Do you think they can sign both while keeping their core team in tact? They only have 5 players under contract currently ..

« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2015, 10:46:56 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Yes.  Leonard only counts about $4.3 million against the cap until he signs a new deal.  Therefore, if San Antonio signs Aldridge first, followed by Duncan and Ginobili, they can then go over the cap to retain Leonard with his Bird rights

I'm not sure if they'll be able to bring Danny Green back, though.  He's going to want too much money.  The Spurs could clear some room by moving Diaw and/or Splitter, but my guess is that Green is gone.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2015, 10:47:20 AM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
They do need clear a bit of cap, but Leonard really doesn't figure much into this since his cap hold is low, just $5 million.

Part of the plan is to dump Splitter, also have to consider Duncan/Ginobili potentially signing contracts under their current caphold.

« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2015, 10:48:02 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2402
Kawhi has said he'll wait for SAS to make their move in FA before signing any offer sheets. So the Spurs will just have his cap hold and sign him to the max after they have done their other business.

I heard they will likely give Duncan a two year deal where he gets most of his money the 2nd year even if he retires after the first year. They did something similar with somebody back in the day. Antonio McDyess maybe. I forget who. The numbers they had for Duncan were very reasonable. Only guesswork on this one though.

« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2015, 10:50:03 AM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
Yes.  Leonard only counts about $4.3 million against the cap until he signs a new deal.  Therefore, if San Antonio signs Aldridge first, followed by Duncan and Ginobili, they can then go over the cap to retain Leonard with his Bird rights.

Beat me to it.

Also, I can't think of any organization that has made a better "show don't tell" pitch to a player than the Spurs have to LMA, by virtue of their internal organization as well as their culture and on-court successes. It pays to have all your ducks in a row when you're trying to find a replacement for one of the best power forwards the game has ever seen.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2015, 10:52:20 AM »

Offline PaulAllen

• Bill Walton
Kawhi has said he'll wait for SAS to make their move in FA before signing any offer sheets. So the Spurs will just have his cap hold and sign him to the max after they have done their other business.

I heard they will likely give Duncan a two year deal where he gets most of his money the 2nd year even if he retires after the first year. They did something similar with somebody back in the day. Antonio McDyess maybe. I forget who. The numbers they had for Duncan were very reasonable. Only guesswork on this one though.

Yea makes sense since the cap will make a big jump in the 2017 season..

« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2015, 10:52:20 AM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
Kawhi Leonard's cap hold is more like $7.2 million.  It depends on if Duncan/Ginobili come back and for how much and if they can salary dump Splitter and/or Diaw.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2015, 11:59:39 AM »

Offline Endless Paradise

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 182
They've been dangling Splitter in trade talks recently. I think they'll be able to get rid of him, even if they have to include a draft pick.