Author Topic: Nic Batum traded to char  (Read 6268 times)

Re: Nic Batum traded to char
« Reply #30 on: June 24, 2015, 09:11:09 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
9.4 points, 40% shooting, 32.4% 3PT%

Batum isn't all that he's cracked up to be.  He's a good rebounder and passer, but his scoring production is lousy.  Getting last year's 9th pick, along with a solid player in Henderson, is a very good return.  This isn't necessarily a rebuild.  Rather, it's a solid basketball trade.
That is a career worst year for Batum. He is a career 45% shooter and a 36% 3 point shooter, who plays excellent defense (he didn't last year but every other year he did)

I've shown the statistics on his defense previously.  Batum has been overrated there for years.

Batum's defense has always been more of a hope than a reality.  Seems like he oughta be great on that end, never actually has been.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #31 on: June 24, 2015, 09:51:08 PM »

Offline Endless Paradise

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 182
Oh, and Rich Cho just said he envisions Batum as the 2 (which he can feasibly play) and MKG as the 3, for those questioning what the Hornets were going to do about their shooting guard position.

« Reply #32 on: June 24, 2015, 10:04:01 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
Is this a start of a rebuild?

Hard to draw that conclusion, considering that Henderson was probably at least as valuable as Batum last year, plus Portland is getting a guy who was a highly touted, very young prospect just a year ago.
probably realized the hard way why Vonleh fell in the draft.  almost always a lock that Charlotte makes a bad pick in the draft

« Reply #33 on: June 24, 2015, 10:08:37 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
Seems like an absolute steal for Portland. I really like Vonleh.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #34 on: June 25, 2015, 04:36:31 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2402
Why would Aldridge stay now?

Vonleh is years away from being useful to a team. No clue how to play team defense. Terrible BBIQ on both ends of the floor.

Batum one of the top 10 SFs in the league. Major pickup for Charlotte. Vonleh has a lot of interesting talents but I don't like betting on a guy coming good who is that dumb on both ends of the floor. Trading him for a proven talent like Batum is a home-run in my opinion.

Gerald Henderson isn't swinging the trade. He is backup SF on most teams. He has been a starter because of how limited Charlotte's roster has been. His lack of shooting ability is a bad fit with Portland's offense.

« Reply #35 on: June 25, 2015, 04:45:38 AM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
Aldridge and Gerald Henderson both have Arn Tellum as an agent.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #36 on: June 25, 2015, 06:10:10 AM »

Offline BornReady

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 40
Great move on charlottes part

Volley still has potential and was buried in the depth chart for Charlotte
Also he did not fit in with charlottes best playing style
That is using a stretch 4 to give Jefferson space to operate

Batum is a good player and should help them out a lot
Not sure if he starts over MKG or plays SG

« Reply #37 on: June 25, 2015, 07:07:13 AM »

Offline Drucci

• Global Moderator
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 439
9.4 points, 40% shooting, 32.4% 3PT%

Batum isn't all that he's cracked up to be.  He's a good rebounder and passer, but his scoring production is lousy.  Getting last year's 9th pick, along with a solid player in Henderson, is a very good return.  This isn't necessarily a rebuild.  Rather, it's a solid basketball trade.
That is a career worst year for Batum. He is a career 45% shooter and a 36% 3 point shooter, who plays excellent defense (he didn't last year but every other year he did)

I've shown the statistics on his defense previously.  Batum has been overrated there for years.

I do agree that Batum is overrated but not for the same reasons : he is similar to Jeff Green in that he has a great potential but fails to live up to it on a regular basis. He is very irregular and, so far, has never fulfilled the national exceptations (i.e to be Tony Parker's "heir" for the French National team).

His production with the French team is quite telling of his issues. He can be unstoppable for a game scoring wise while defending like a mad man and then score 2 points on 15 shots the next game while getting lost on defense.

I remember the last World Cup where Batum didn't show up for a critical do-or-die game for France against Spain, that France managed to win, and then he exploded for 35 points (on 11/17 shooting) against Serbia (but lost) and 27 points for the third place game against Lituania (and won). That's Batum in a nutshell so you basically never know what to expect.

Still, I find you very hard with Batum, he is only 26 and reaching his prime. I think he will have a great bounce back and contract year so it sounds like a great trade for Charlotte. But it's also a good trade for Portland, they made the right choice in trading him because they've waited long enough for him to take that "next step" and he never did (a la Jeff Green with OKC and then Boston).

« Reply #38 on: June 25, 2015, 07:32:52 AM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
Gerald Henderson is 27 and Vonleh is 20