Author Topic: Nic Batum traded to char  (Read 6277 times)

Re: Nic Batum traded to char
« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2015, 07:19:10 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1763
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
Batum is a good player and all, but it seems like Portland won this trade. I would love to take a chance on Vonleh.

« Reply #16 on: June 24, 2015, 07:19:16 PM »

Offline Endless Paradise

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 182
I don't think this will help Portland in their effort to keep Aldridge.

It also could mean that Charlotte will keep their pick.

Well, on the other hand, Charlotte now has a big hole at SG and has made moves that indicate a focus on being a playoff team next year instead of waiting on youth.

Meh, Henderson was never the solution at SG for them. At least not while Kemba Walker is still a focus. They simply don't have enough shooting and Clifford's recent comments indicate they're going to focus on adding players with range this summer.

« Reply #17 on: June 24, 2015, 07:21:55 PM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 414
looks like Devon Booker is a lock at #9
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #18 on: June 24, 2015, 07:30:30 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969
Portland re gearing up.....shame though

« Reply #19 on: June 24, 2015, 07:44:24 PM »

Offline JHTruth

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 111
Looks like we won't be trading up to No 9..

« Reply #20 on: June 24, 2015, 07:47:17 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
9.4 points, 40% shooting, 32.4% 3PT%

Batum isn't all that he's cracked up to be.  He's a good rebounder and passer, but his scoring production is lousy.  Getting last year's 9th pick, along with a solid player in Henderson, is a very good return.  This isn't necessarily a rebuild.  Rather, it's a solid basketball trade.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #21 on: June 24, 2015, 07:50:10 PM »

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 277

Batum isn't all that he's cracked up to be.  He's a good rebounder and passer, but his scoring production is lousy.  Getting last year's 9th pick, along with a solid player in Henderson, is a very good return.  This isn't necessarily a rebuild.  Rather, it's a solid basketball trade.

Well he had a down year the previous years he shot over 35 percent from three.

« Reply #22 on: June 24, 2015, 07:50:10 PM »

Offline MJohnnyboy

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 269
According to Woj, Portland's not rebuilding. Aldridge knew what they were doing and this is independent of his decision this off-season.

Charlotte is hoping Batum will do what Stephenson was supposed to do for them last season: Bring versatility to their offense.

« Reply #23 on: June 24, 2015, 07:51:29 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft

That is a career worst year for Batum. He is a career 45% shooter and a 36% 3 point shooter, who plays excellent defense (he didn't last year but every other year he did)
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #24 on: June 24, 2015, 07:52:15 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182

To be fair to Batum, I believe he was dealing with a pretty serious shooting hand injury all last season.  It's similar to the struggles Kevin Love had the year he broke his shooting hand at the beginning of the season.

Just the season before he played all 82 games and averaged 13 pts - 5 assist - 7.5 reb on 46 / 36 / 80 shooting, which is a statline not dissimilar from what you might see the current reigning Finals MVP put up. 

So Charlotte is taking a gamble on Batum getting back to where he was a couple years ago as opposed to what he was last year.  Probably Portland is looking to get a return on Batum a year out from his free agency, at which point he'll likely get paid a lot of money by some team with cap space to burn.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #25 on: June 24, 2015, 08:06:35 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

That is a career worst year for Batum. He is a career 45% shooter and a 36% 3 point shooter, who plays excellent defense (he didn't last year but every other year he did)

I've shown the statistics on his defense previously.  Batum has been overrated there for years.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #26 on: June 24, 2015, 09:01:11 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619

I don't thknk it matters much.  Batum was made into something of a scapegoat last year, and then he went out and shot 34% in the playoffs.  I think he's a good rebound candidate (and even started a thread about it last month), but Portland as a whole had moved on from Batum, including, I bet, LMA.

« Reply #27 on: June 24, 2015, 09:05:55 PM »

Offline colincb

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 501

I don't thknk it matters much.  Batum was made into something of a scapegoat last year, and then he went out and shot 34% in the playoffs.  I think he's a good rebound candidate (and even started a thread about it last month), but Portland as a whole had moved on from Batum, including, I bet, LMA.

Maybe not

Adrian Wojnarowski ?@WojYahooNBA 2h2 hours ago

Sources: Blazers didn't make deal as first step of rebuilding. Aldridge was aware of trade, and Blazers did deal independent of free agency.

« Reply #28 on: June 24, 2015, 09:09:26 PM »

Offline colincb

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 501
Some more relevant tweets from Givony. Lamb coming according to Bonnell who is a very credible beat writer.

Major pressure on Charlotte coaches and front office to deliver immediate results. This trade clearly a reflection of that. More coming?

For Portland fans: Noah Vonleh scouting reports and video analysis from last year: http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Noah-Vonleh-6471/
 - still only 19 years old (!)

Had heard some reports that Jeremy Lamb was on the trading block (along with Perry Jones). Lack of intensity and work ethic didn't fit in.

Told Charlotte had concerns about Noah Vonleh's acclimation to NBA. Had difficulties picking up on plays. Questions about his feel for game.

Noah Vonleh being traded for a SF seemingly opens up another landing spot for Willie Cauley-Stein in Top-10. Charlotte already had interest.

« Reply #29 on: June 24, 2015, 09:10:26 PM »

Offline Smartacus

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 318
Clearly Charlotte had a gaping hole at overrated wing after trading Stevenson.

No but seriously pretty decent move by Cho imo. Batum could probably use a change of scenery. Portland's match of his RFA offer reeked of billionaires trying to stick it to each other.

Apparently Minny's owner was angry with Portland for trading them a lemon in Martell Webster. There have been several high profile power moves between the franchises culminating in Minnesota offering Nic the max forcing Portland to overpay to retain him.

Source: http://uproxx.com/dimemag/2012/07/how-minnesota-and-portland-started-a-mini-feud-in-four-steps/
« Last Edit: June 24, 2015, 09:17:13 PM by Smartacus »