Author Topic: Bennett  (Read 13995 times)

Re: Bennett
« Reply #60 on: June 24, 2015, 02:28:58 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Are we 100% confident in assuming Fab Melo can read well enough to figure out what people were saying about him on this forum?

Sorry, is that too mean?
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #61 on: June 24, 2015, 02:29:37 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
Are we 100% confident in assuming Fab Melo can read well enough to figure out what people were saying about him on this forum?

Sorry, is that too mean?

Eu não sou estúpido

« Reply #62 on: June 24, 2015, 02:35:34 PM »

Offline ImShakHeIsShaq

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 804
Fischer is a Sixers blogger over at Liberty Ballers who also works at the Boston Globe and for Sports Illustrated.
"Journalism major at Northeastern University. Staff Writer at SBNation's Liberty Baller"

I take both of these rumors with a major grain of salt.  I know it's totally unlikely, but this blog is fairly popular and I sometimes get the sinking feeling that actual members of the team occasionally browse this forum to read into the fan opinion.   Is that totally outlandish?  Sometimes I post something and think to myself, "man I wonder if this would irritate the celtics if they read it... Like what if Ainge is actually trying to land Bennett for nothing and our 10 page thread arguing about him being worth more than #16 is being forwarded to Danny by Flip Saunders as a joke".  Is it entirely unthinkable ? 

I was once in an elevator with fab Melo and Avery Bradley.  I said hello and let them know I was a Celtic fan.  But in the back of my mind I'm thinking, "ok there's like 0% chance these guys have any idea who LarBrd33 on celticsblog is... But if they did, would I be getting a punch in the face for something I flippantly said about them as a joke?"...   

If there's a member of the actual celtics out there reading these threads,  reach out to me and let me know if I'm totally cramping your style.  You don't have to leak fake rumors to jake Fischer in order to counter my dumb threads. Thanks. 

Lol.  Kidding, of course.  Anyways, sign me up for getting Bennett for free. Kid has the tools to be a player. He just needs the right situation and time.  His potential is still there.

At this rate... A rumor will come out that the Kings are trying to give away #6 to whoever will take on Nik stauskas's contract and that Boston is considering it.  Lol.

If I was a multi million dollar athlete that traveled all over the country during the year with only a month or two to my self during the offseason reading through fan's opinions on a message board would be the last thing I think I would ever want to do. I could see going to ESPN for general sports news, maybe seeing an article about yourself and clicking on comments out of curiosity once or twice. However, a forum on a blog seems like it would be crazy. However, unless somebody says otherwise I guess we will never know.
Ever listen to Marc Maron's podcast?  He has famous comedians on there all the time.  You'd be surprised by how many of them read every awful twitter post about themselves.  It's not unthinkable that a player like Fab Melo would have ended up on this forum reading a thread about himself.

I was more thinking about interns, assistants or media type who might browse this forum to get ideas, informally take a pulse of the fanbase, etc.  I don't think it's unthinkable.  I'm 100% positive some of them read the front pages of the blogs... whether or not they dive deep enough to read forum posts, I doubt it.

With the egos these guys have, yeah, they read a lot of stuff. AB got rid of his instagram (at least one that's public) because of what people were saying. I remember him writing a message about what people were sending/saying to him, told people to stop and that he had a g/f and baby. He would put up things and take it down all the time. I guess he had enough and shut it down.
It takes me 3hrs to get to Miami and 1hr to get to Orlando... but I *SPIT* on their NBA teams! "Bless God and bless the (Celts)"-Lady GaGa (she said gays but she really meant Celts)

« Reply #63 on: June 24, 2015, 02:38:13 PM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 420
The year he was drafted I was not super high on Bennett and I expected him to be a slightly better version of Bass. That being said this purposed trade is a home run. At 22 he can still be developed and may serve as a nice backup 4/3. BS style/system seems like a nice fit for his skills. Also gaining #31 and #36 would essentially give the Cs 3 picks in the same talent tier as #28. #31, #33, and #36 are prime spots to take a shot of Upshaw, D Johnson, Alexander along with a slew of draft and stash options.
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #64 on: June 24, 2015, 02:48:00 PM »

Offline MBunge

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 471

Lol.  Kidding, of course.  Anyways, sign me up for getting Bennett for free. Kid has the tools to be a player. He just needs the right situation and time.  His potential is still there.

Ladies and gentlemen, we have found him!  The wonder of the modern world!  The freak our our times!  The Boston Celtics fan who has nicer things to say about Anthony Bennett than Marcus Smart!

Mike
I wouldn't trade smart for Bennett. I'd trade 16 for Bennett if it didn't hurt our cap situation. So obviously I'd do this trade where we get him for free

I've called smart our best asset many times.

While forcefully arguing that our "best asset" really isn't all that valuable.

Even you have to acknowledge the incongruity of your enthusiasm for Bennett given your general attitude toward Celtics players who are demonstrably better.

Mike

« Reply #65 on: June 24, 2015, 02:51:53 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016

Ladies and gentlemen, we have found him!  The wonder of the modern world!  The freak our our times!  The Boston Celtics fan who has nicer things to say about Anthony Bennett than Marcus Smart!

Mike
I wouldn't trade smart for Bennett. I'd trade 16 for Bennett if it didn't hurt our cap situation. So obviously I'd do this trade where we get him for free

Comparatively, it isn't.   B- asset.   Still better than a C or D asset, but not an A+, A-, A, B+ or B asset. 

« Reply #66 on: June 24, 2015, 03:25:11 PM »

Offline MBunge

• Antoine Walker

Mike

Comparatively, it isn't.   B- asset.   Still better than a C or D asset, but not an A+, A-, A, B+ or B asset.

Which is fine as far as it goes.  How then can you support, let alone be positively enthusiastic, about acquiring an F asset?

Mike

« Reply #67 on: June 24, 2015, 03:56:09 PM »

Offline crimcartel

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 13
The More I think about it.. if this deal goes down... it's to a precursor to ship out Kelly in a deal (to cavs?) and then it ties into signing (sign and trade?) LOVE here.. logic being love and Kelly probably wont co-exist as they have same type and game and because of the shoulder incident.

cavs probably see that can contend without love and probably want to spend that money on a different type of player (hence the rumors for a 'playmaker')

« Reply #68 on: June 24, 2015, 07:08:12 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish

Mike

Which is fine as far as it goes.  How then can you support, let alone be positively enthusiastic, about acquiring an F asset?

Mike
Because I don't see Bennett as an "F" asset.   I wrote about why.  I think he's a kid with a bright future if you can hone in on his skillset.  He has the tools to be very good.   He could putter out, but I see more reasons to believe he's going to be a good player in this league. 

Olynyk vs Bennett is an interesting discussion.  Olynyk is probably close to what he is going to be.   I don't believe we've seen the best of Bennett at this point.

« Reply #69 on: June 24, 2015, 07:46:25 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
Bennett is currently nothing more than an expiring contract. If seen as such, then a deal can occur. But honestly, it can't be at a high/mid first round pick, that price is too high merely on potential and an expiring contract.

Team options for rookie deals occur on Oct. 31, that means we don't have the luxury of waiting and seeing to then decide if he's worth to keep around or not, and at his price tag, high chances that the team option will be declined (doesn't mean he can't be signed as a free-agent later on, with bird rights).

But what this also means is that Bennett's value and role in all of this will merely be that of an expiring contract, which in some ways will have some value during the season, particularly at the trade deadline if anything + armed with all our picks, something can come out of it.

But I don't think it's prudent, despite of how much one would want to believe in his potential, to give up some real value for him at this point.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2015, 10:15:17 AM by BudweiserCeltic »

« Reply #70 on: June 24, 2015, 08:13:10 PM »

Offline MBunge

• Antoine Walker

Mike

Mike
Because I don't see Bennett as an "F" asset.   I wrote about why.  I think he's a kid with a bright future if you can hone in on his skillset.  He has the tools to be very good.   He could putter out, but I see more reasons to believe he's going to be a good player in this league. 

Olynyk vs Bennett is an interesting discussion.  Olynyk is probably close to what he is going to be.   I don't believe we've seen the best of Bennett at this point.

Whether he's a an F or a D, Bennett is HORRIBLE.  He's legitimately in the running for one of the worst draft busts in NBA history.  He could be one of the worst picks ever made in one of the weakest drafts ever held.  It's not like there's a bunch of guys from that draft tearing up the league, yet Bennett is still the far and away disaster of the bunch.

But you can work up more genuine enthusiasm for this walking fiasco than anyone on your supposed favorite team who just made the playoffs by having one of the best post-All Star records in the league last season?

People like you are so horrified of being "homers" like the rest of us grubby, little fans that you take your "anti-homerism" so far and become just as ridiculous as the guy who thought Bruno Sundov was a basketball star-in-the-making.

Mike

« Reply #71 on: June 24, 2015, 08:15:05 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish

Mike

Mike

Whether he's a an F or a D, Bennett is HORRIBLE.  He's legitimately in the running for one of the worst draft busts in NBA history.  He could be one of the worst picks ever made in one of the weakest drafts ever held.  It's not like there's a bunch of guys from that draft tearing up the league, yet Bennett is still the far and away disaster of the bunch.

But you can work up more genuine enthusiasm for this walking fiasco than anyone on your supposed favorite team who just made the playoffs by having one of the best post-All Star records in the league last season?

People like you are so horrified of being "homers" like the rest of us grubby, little fans that you take your "anti-homerism" so far and become just as ridiculous as the guy who thought Bruno Sundov was a basketball star-in-the-making.

Mike
Careful how you talk about our future starting PF.  AB is a stah, son! 

Lol

« Reply #72 on: June 24, 2015, 08:37:29 PM »

Offline jr_3421

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 81
Just checking, people realize the 31 and 36 picks are the meat of the deal right? Bennett is a throw in as a salary dump. Portland has been reported to covet 2 high second round picks and Danny is preparing to take advantage of this imo. He essentially could trade the 28th pick for the 23rd pick and Anthony Bennett which is a pretty good deal. Then our package to move up becomes more enticing and we have another salary for future trades.
"In the 4th quarter I'm whole different player"

-Paul Pierce

« Reply #73 on: June 24, 2015, 08:43:36 PM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403
LarBrd33 ~~ what's ur POV on what Bennett becomes? No 'poor mans' please... who can he become?
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #74 on: June 24, 2015, 08:47:57 PM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
LarBrd33 ~~ what's ur POV on what Bennett becomes? No 'poor mans' please... who can he become?
Trap! Don't do it, unless you say Biyombo.
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC