Author Topic: Bennett  (Read 14013 times)

Re: Bennett
« Reply #45 on: June 24, 2015, 12:43:31 PM »

Offline Geo123

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 33
It makes sense to me if:

* We're going to stash or trade all of the 2nd rounders (and save about $1M on #28)
* We're anticipating trading at least one of KO or Sully (in which case we'll need another bench big, and 1 year of Bennett off the bench in our system isn't crazy)

#31 + #36 is clearly more valuable than #28 - same talent level but 2 flexible deals instead of 1 guaranteed ones, so they would in fact be paying us to take on the salary. Bennett has been pretty awful, but being paid for 1 year with low expectations is worth it. We're not in play for 2 max FAs this offseason. Nobody is. Which two exactly are going to make unrestricted moves to the same team, let alone Boston?

I agree.  2 second rounders far more valuable trade wise...

« Reply #46 on: June 24, 2015, 12:49:15 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
Fischer is a Sixers blogger over at Liberty Ballers who also works at the Boston Globe and for Sports Illustrated.
"Journalism major at Northeastern University. Staff Writer at SBNation's Liberty Baller"

I take both of these rumors with a major grain of salt.  I know it's totally unlikely, but this blog is fairly popular and I sometimes get the sinking feeling that actual members of the team occasionally browse this forum to read into the fan opinion.   Is that totally outlandish?  Sometimes I post something and think to myself, "man I wonder if this would irritate the celtics if they read it... Like what if Ainge is actually trying to land Bennett for nothing and our 10 page thread arguing about him being worth more than #16 is being forwarded to Danny by Flip Saunders as a joke".  Is it entirely unthinkable ? 

I was once in an elevator with fab Melo and Avery Bradley.  I said hello and let them know I was a Celtic fan.  But in the back of my mind I'm thinking, "ok there's like 0% chance these guys have any idea who LarBrd33 on celticsblog is... But if they did, would I be getting a punch in the face for something I flippantly said about them as a joke?"...   

If there's a member of the actual celtics out there reading these threads,  reach out to me and let me know if I'm totally cramping your style.  You don't have to leak fake rumors to jake Fischer in order to counter my dumb threads. Thanks. 

Lol.  Kidding, of course.  Anyways, sign me up for getting Bennett for free. Kid has the tools to be a player. He just needs the right situation and time.  His potential is still there.

At this rate... A rumor will come out that the Kings are trying to give away #6 to whoever will take on Nik stauskas's contract and that Boston is considering it.  Lol.

Think about it, though -- these sorts of places are vast resources of free labor for anyone delving into anything involving the NBA. I'm not talking about the "this player is good, this player is bad sort of stuff," because those front offices have access to way more information about that than any lay person is ever going to get a hold of, but there's a lot that relates to the salary cap and things like that which can be useful.

I know I just used this example in another thread, but Denver's GM could do with some time on CB to learn about the cap.  ;D Likewise, Morey has copped to cruising forums in the past. I don't think anyone takes anything on here as gospel truth, but it's not as if the whole place is totally bereft of knowledge.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #47 on: June 24, 2015, 12:49:43 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1393
Fischer is a Sixers blogger over at Liberty Ballers who also works at the Boston Globe and for Sports Illustrated.
"Journalism major at Northeastern University. Staff Writer at SBNation's Liberty Baller"

I take both of these rumors with a major grain of salt.  I know it's totally unlikely, but this blog is fairly popular and I sometimes get the sinking feeling that actual members of the team occasionally browse this forum to read into the fan opinion.   Is that totally outlandish?  Sometimes I post something and think to myself, "man I wonder if this would irritate the celtics if they read it... Like what if Ainge is actually trying to land Bennett for nothing and our 10 page thread arguing about him being worth more than #16 is being forwarded to Danny by Flip Saunders as a joke".  Is it entirely unthinkable ? 

I was once in an elevator with fab Melo and Avery Bradley.  I said hello and let them know I was a Celtic fan.  But in the back of my mind I'm thinking, "ok there's like 0% chance these guys have any idea who LarBrd33 on celticsblog is... But if they did, would I be getting a punch in the face for something I flippantly said about them as a joke?"...   

If there's a member of the actual celtics out there reading these threads,  reach out to me and let me know if I'm totally cramping your style.  You don't have to leak fake rumors to jake Fischer in order to counter my dumb threads. Thanks. 

Lol.  Kidding, of course.  Anyways, sign me up for getting Bennett for free. Kid has the tools to be a player. He just needs the right situation and time.  His potential is still there.

At this rate... A rumor will come out that the Kings are trying to give away #6 to whoever will take on Nik stauskas's contract and that Boston is considering it.  Lol.

If I was a multi million dollar athlete that traveled all over the country during the year with only a month or two to my self during the offseason reading through fan's opinions on a message board would be the last thing I think I would ever want to do. I could see going to ESPN for general sports news, maybe seeing an article about yourself and clicking on comments out of curiosity once or twice. However, a forum on a blog seems like it would be crazy. However, unless somebody says otherwise I guess we will never know.

« Reply #48 on: June 24, 2015, 12:51:57 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
I can't believe Ainge hasn't already accepted that trade.  Would give Boston 3 very high 2nd rounders to move to move up or allow Boston to take some gambles, like Upshaw, or draft and stash.  Plus you get a year to look at Bennett who obviously should have never been the 1st pick, but still has a lot of upside potential (though doesn't appear that he will live up to it).  I don't see Boston doing much in free agency this summer anyway, so I see no problem in acquiring Bennett.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #49 on: June 24, 2015, 12:53:31 PM »

Offline Chief Macho

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 84
I'm still intrigued by Bennett because of his age and natural ability.   I admit I've not paid much attention to his first couple seasons, but I watched him a bunch in college and thought the guy was really impressive but never thought he'd get the pressure of being such a high draft pick.    I wonder if the right situation with the right role would change his career.   

« Reply #50 on: June 24, 2015, 12:58:20 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
I'm on record as being totally underwhelmed by Bennett.  Costs way too much for a guy who may or may not belong in the NBA.

Still, if all you have to give up is a late 1st in shallow draft, that's not bad.  Basically you move back in the draft and take on this project in return for absorbing his salary.

If anybody can turn Bennett into a useful piece, it's probably Brad Stevens.  Bennett has a higher ceiling than Bass or Jerebko, for sure, but also a long distance from being anywhere near as competent as either.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #51 on: June 24, 2015, 01:01:12 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
I think the draft pick value is appropriate. I just don't want him at all because of the salary.

Why is the rookie salary a dealbreaker?

The rookie scale is pretty significant at the top, he made more than $5 million last year and it's only gonna increase

So is the salary cap. I don't see Bennett's deal being an albatross under any circumstances.

It's an albatross if and only if you think the team is actually going to try and maximize the use of their cap space this summer by going after max-level free agents.

I rather doubt that they will, but adding $5-6 million for next season without unloading any current salary does impede it.  I suppose it's counterbalanced somewhat by exchanging a guaranteed 1st round slot for a non-guaranteed 2nd round slot.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #52 on: June 24, 2015, 01:07:40 PM »

Offline GC003332

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 62

If I was a multi million dollar athlete that traveled all over the country during the year with only a month or two to my self during the offseason reading through fan's opinions on a message board would be the last thing I think I would ever want to do. I could see going to ESPN for general sports news, maybe seeing an article about yourself and clicking on comments out of curiosity once or twice. However, a forum on a blog seems like it would be crazy. However, unless somebody says otherwise I guess we will never know.

Reaction to the Olynyk for Embiid proposed swap the other day  ;)

« Reply #53 on: June 24, 2015, 01:07:46 PM »

Offline Nef-Oracle

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 5
Seem like a fair deal to me & we'll win by a landslide if Bennett can stay healty, also these two early 2nd have way more value than #28. Could take some guys who will fall in the 2nd round (Upshaw, Wood, Martin) or just trade up with Portland for #23 and grab RJ Hunter, Vaughn or Anderson.

« Reply #54 on: June 24, 2015, 01:29:40 PM »

Offline BDeCosta26

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 232
I can't believe Ainge hasn't already accepted that trade.  Would give Boston 3 very high 2nd rounders to move to move up or allow Boston to take some gambles, like Upshaw, or draft and stash.  Plus you get a year to look at Bennett who obviously should have never been the 1st pick, but still has a lot of upside potential (though doesn't appear that he will live up to it).  I don't see Boston doing much in free agency this summer anyway, so I see no problem in acquiring Bennett.

It's starting to seem pretty clear that Ainge has something major he's trying to put together for thursday. Probably more than one thing. You may not think we have the assets to pull off a major deal but DA sure seems to. I don't think he's willing to take on Bennets contract and add more picks to a pile he's trying to trim until we see what were able to do at the draft. We have Sully and KO already, trading for Bennett doesn't make a whole lot of sense unless one (or both) of them is gone.

That's a good deal. That kid is pretty talented, but he's been in poor situations his first two years. CBS could extract that talent out of him. But Ainge won't make a move like that until he plays his other cards and sees where we're at. Considering we've been reportedly hunting for cap space, my gut tells me Danny is pretty sure he can get a good FA or two. If we use assets to dump Wallace, it would seem even more likely. We've already been connected and in the mix for a bunch of top-level FA's.

Maybe Danny does a three team with Denver to get Cousins? Then we do a sign and trade for LMA or Love. Maybe we trade up to 8 and get Winslow or WCS. There's so many ways it could go, CLNS had a tweet saying "The question now isn't if the Celtics will draft in the top 10, but where".  Between the coveting of cap space, the rumored Smart deal, going dark to the media about their last few workouts, having Thomas as the official Celtic ambassador, the "thinking big" comment and Ainge's demeanor yesterday I just get the feeling something major is in the works here. Call me crazy if you want. But I think once the first domino falls for Ainge, dang near anything is possible.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2015, 01:43:07 PM by BDeCosta26 »

« Reply #55 on: June 24, 2015, 01:32:41 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
It would be awesome. You can just not renew his rookie contract after a year and drop 5mill.
 And use the other picks for euro stashes if needs be

« Reply #56 on: June 24, 2015, 02:04:44 PM »

Offline colincb

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 501
I'm on record as being totally underwhelmed by Bennett.  Costs way too much for a guy who may or may not belong in the NBA.

Still, if all you have to give up is a late 1st in shallow draft, that's not bad.  Basically you move back in the draft and take on this project in return for absorbing his salary.

If anybody can turn Bennett into a useful piece, it's probably Brad Stevens.  Bennett has a higher ceiling than Bass or Jerebko, for sure, but also a long distance from being anywhere near as competent as either.

You are not giving up a late first, you're getting two early seconds which is better. Bennett's a negative asset. The Wolves are trying to save some money rather than pay him for another year. The guys' been one of the worst players in the league for 2 years and is stupid enough to show up out of shape for two training camps. He's a tweener who can't guard either position and has zero motor. His potential is to be out of the league soon. The 31st pick is sweet if you want to pick up someone like Wood or Upshaw and don't want to commit much money, the later pick is less useful, but might be worth selling to the many teams who have few or no picks.  If Danny can parlay a couple of early seconds into a first for a team looking to trade out of guaranteed first round money then it makes some sense to do the deal too.

However, if Danny has anything in mind for free agency, like offering a couple of max contracts, then this deal doesn't make a lot of sense. Getting any FA this year is going to be very difficult, but you can't play if you're not at the table and you have a better shot if you can put out more than one contract offer at a time, even if tampering is wide-spread before free agency opens..

« Reply #57 on: June 24, 2015, 02:18:59 PM »

Offline ImShakHeIsShaq

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 804

You are not giving up a late first, you're getting two early seconds which is better. Bennett's a negative asset. The Wolves are trying to save some money rather than pay him for another year. The guys' been one of the worst players in the league for 2 years and is stupid enough to show up out of shape for two training camps. He's a tweener who can't guard either position and has zero motor. His potential is to be out of the league soon. The 31st pick is sweet if you want to pick up someone like Wood or Upshaw and don't want to commit much money, the later pick is less useful, but might be worth selling to the many teams who have few or no picks.  If Danny can parlay a couple of early seconds into a first for a team looking to trade out of guaranteed first round money then it makes some sense to do the deal too.

However, if Danny has anything in mind for free agency, like offering a couple of max contracts, then this deal doesn't make a lot of sense. Getting any FA this year is going to be very difficult, but you can't play if you're not at the table and you have a better shot if you can put out more than one contract offer at a time, even if tampering is wide-spread before free agency opens..

Bennett would only make it harder to get 2 max guys. Even then, you would have to assume we couldn't move other salary to offset it if we HAD to. Thinking Bennett would be the end of getting 2 max guys is shortsighted, it's would be easier to make room than it will be to get the 2 guys IMO.
It takes me 3hrs to get to Miami and 1hr to get to Orlando... but I *SPIT* on their NBA teams! "Bless God and bless the (Celts)"-Lady GaGa (she said gays but she really meant Celts)

« Reply #58 on: June 24, 2015, 02:26:01 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016

Ever listen to Marc Maron's podcast?  He has famous comedians on there all the time.  You'd be surprised by how many of them read every awful twitter post about themselves.  It's not unthinkable that a player like Fab Melo would have ended up on this forum reading a thread about himself.

I was more thinking about interns, assistants or media type who might browse this forum to get ideas, informally take a pulse of the fanbase, etc.  I don't think it's unthinkable.  I'm 100% positive some of them read the front pages of the blogs... whether or not they dive deep enough to read forum posts, I doubt it.   

« Reply #59 on: June 24, 2015, 02:28:53 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
I can't believe Ainge hasn't already accepted that trade. Would give Boston 3 very high 2nd rounders to move to move up or allow Boston to take some gambles, like Upshaw, or draft and stash.  Plus you get a year to look at Bennett who obviously should have never been the 1st pick, but still has a lot of upside potential (though doesn't appear that he will live up to it).  I don't see Boston doing much in free agency this summer anyway, so I see no problem in acquiring Bennett.
I do not believe this rumor for all the reasons you pointed out.   Unless Ainge is really really concerned about eating into his cap (we only have 23 mil in cap space and probably want to target two max contracts), this deal should be done already if the Wolves actually want it.

31 = 28.  You're basically getting Bennett and a 2nd for absolutely nothing.